“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Decatur, Illinois
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were very excited spending a few days in San Antonio the end of November. I chose the Riverwalk Vista Inn b/c of all the positive reviews on TripAdvisor.
Our check-in was quick, but we were very disappointed in the room itself and you only had a normal key to lock your room. Although the Inn is close to the Riverwalk, the room seemed very dated for the nightly rate.
After our first night, my husband left our room and the guests across the hall extended their bedroom into the common area. They also locked the door to the common area, so noone could get in from the main hallway. Never seen anything like this before. We had to wait until after 7am until the Innkeeper on duty arrived to discuss our concerns. It seemed to us they were not going to help to resolve the problem. Supposedly there was a night guard, but we certainly didn't see one. Well, to make a long story short, we moved to a different hotel.
Regarding this Inn, make sure you read their cancellation policy. For instance you have to cancel 10 days prior to your arrival (which seems excessive).
I have learned my lesson. We will be staying at major hotels from now on.

Room Tip: Stay at a hotel directly on the Riverwal
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I looked for hours for a hotel that could accommodate my unique needs for this trip. I needed a hotel in San Antonio that could entice my 90 year old grandmother out of her own house in San Antonio with a limited number of steps and personal touch. I needed a space that was unique enough to satisfy my Manhattan-ite mother with a work space and a tv in front of a couch to satisfy her insomnia needs. And I needed a place with enough privacy for each of us that we enjoyed each other instead of killing one another. Riverwalk Vista had it all! It's unique and upscale without being intimidating. The staff worked with me to give us three rooms down a hallway that we could close off so the space was just ours. The two room suite had a living room work space with it's own bath (perfect for my mother) and a bedroom with the bath right next to the bed (perfect for my grandmother). With me across our private hall we could leave our doors open and wander back and forth - or not. There were also other common spaces throughout that allowed us to have a leisurely breakfast (provided) and catch up without being rushed. The Riverwalk across the street gave us plenty of sightseeing, dining, and wandering time. And, the access code entry and format of the hotel made it feel like city apartment living instead of a stuffy hotel. Now, it was noisy. But, since all of us have lived in large urban spaces before this was not an issue at all. In fact, I would go so far to say that it made my NYC mom feel right at home. In other words, totally satisfying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Though the location and amenities were above average, I would not recommend staying here, unless you too will be partying until 2 a.m. During my stay, Christmas Week, the street noise and next door television noise did not cease until 2:00 a.m. Also, below my window, the city was running some sort of repair involving sewage/water (?) which involved loud engines and workmen shouting.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms available off of Losoya St.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

It is way too loud to enjoy any type of rest or relaxation. We could hear every step, conversation, vehicle that passes outside our window. Other than the obnoxious noise, everything else was average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

intimate and rustic! excellent location. will definitely come back. clean, beautiful decor, comfy bed. what else can i say. the angel fish was a nice touch. soft music playing for us when we arrived to our room. loved it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Allegan, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I extended our trip to a conference to stay here based on the great on-line reviews. We had a great time, loved the place and the amenities. The food was also very good. What changed the whole thing for us was after we left and arrived at our conference my wife received an email from one of the staff saying they were glad we stayed and bought one of their souvenir coffee mugs, which my wife had purchased on our way out. They were also glad that we liked the "rubber duck from the shower that we took without paying", so they would be billing our credit card $5.00. We're not sure if the maid forgot to put one there or what happened, but we never saw one. Really!?! A $200/night stay, purchasing a coffee mug, but we stole a stupid little rubber duck? Needless to say, the accusation was more than enough to overshadow what started out as a pleasant experience. Not only will we never stay again or recommend to anyone, but my wife has asked me to mail the stupid coffee mug back since it brings back her anger every time she sees it. It goes in the mail tomorrow, along with any possibility of ever returning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Redlands,CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

What a great combination of historic hotel and modern styling. Hardwood floors, 18 foot ceilings and old brickwork mixed with a modern bed, flat screen tv and stone shower made for a comfortable and homey stay. It's is a great departure from the corporate hotel boredom. In addition to the nice room, there were multiple lounge areas throughout the hotel, a nice complimentary breakfast and even an evening wine hour. So why not for everyone? Well, there is no real front desk, they have to buzz you in, the parking is a bit tough and the exterior noise could be a bit annoying. I say could be since I knew why to expect since I was in the middle of downtown, in the midst of everything, the Riverwalk, restaurants etc. For me perfect, but again, not for everyone. If you like boutiquey hotels with a great location and comfortable feel, it will be perfect for you too.

Room Tip: Room 309 was great with a 180 degree view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Riverwalk Vista? Share your experiences!