“Quaint and Charming” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Kingwood, Texas
“Quaint and Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I spent our anniversary weekend at the Riverwalk Vista and it was absolutely perfect. The hotel was old where it needed to be (hardwood floors, high ceilings, windows, antique furnishings) and modern where you wanted (bathroom, mini fridge, iPod dock). The hotel goes to great lenghts to make your stay unique and we were impressed. The location is right off the heart of the riverwalk, and walking distance to the Alamo and mall. There is some street noise, but nothing that a good set of earplugs can't block out. It's worth it for the location. I would highly recommend the Riverwalk Vista for a romantic weekend away from home.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #304 and it was very nice. I higher level room may block some of the street noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I loved this hotel. It's in an old building right on the Riverwalk that has been restored beautifully. Yes the first time I went to the entrance I was a bit confused, but in the end it all added to the charm in my opinion. It felt like a secret hideaway in the city. The decor (bed/bath) were lovely--everything has been redone and is definitely up-to-par with other high quality hotels.

The best part was how quaint everything was. There are probably only 12 rooms and the owner was on-site a lot of the time. In the morning you get a nice free breakfast; at 3 there are free homemade (yes, homemade, I asked) cookies; and at 5 there's free wine and cheese. The first evening I got back to my hotel at 5, I entered the salon area and there were 8 other guests sitting and chit chatting over a glass of wine. I joined in a just had relaxing most enjoyable stay. I adored my stay here and would come back in a minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Red Deer, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my first time visit to San Antonio and we picked both the hotel and destination to try something different. Riverwalk Vista is an historic hotel that is operated to preserve some of San Antonio's heritage. Don't expect all the amenities and slick features that come with newly built resort hotels. If you go in with the right expectations you will have a great visit. There are a few things that may put you off and you should be aware of before booking. They include:
a) the entrance - you have to climb a half dozen stairs and use the intercom to get in when you first arrive. It's a bit confusing and not that easy to spot if you haven't been there before. Depending on the hours you keep there is also a good chance you will run into one of more homeless people on the sidewalk near the entrance. A couple times I also had to walk over a pool of vomit. To give the hotel staff credit, it never took them more than a few minutes to clean up any of the messes I spotted. The entrance is right beside the McDonald's restaurant which attracts a few people that either beg for handouts or just hang out. No one I encountered was aggressive or engaged in objectionable behavior but some people won't be that comfortable with this aspect of the location.
b) I was in room 311, whenever I entered I picked up a slight musty odor. I generally didn't notice it after a few minutes but it always hit me when I first came in.
c) Furniture - in keeping with the historical nature of the venue was old and a bit eclectic. I wish I had a couple more drawers available to me, I'm one of those travelers who moves in and unpacks my suitcases right away so I like to have quite a few drawers available for my use. The refrigerator could have been a bit cooler but that is nit-picking.

What will you love?
a) the shower - great water pressure, easy access and plenty of space
b) breakfast - not really fancy but tasty and a bit different than the normal hotel supplied breakfast.
c) cookies & wine - be sure to go whether you like cookies and/or wine or not. This is a great chance to meet other guests, share your experiences, tips and get input from the staff. It's very social and if you don't partake you will lose out on the best part of the Riverwalk Vista experience.
Some of the recent reviews commented on the noise, I didn't find it any noisier than other downtown hotels I've stayed at.

Tips
1. The staff are great, be sure to take advantage of their local knowledge and let them help you get the most from your trip whether it's making reservations for you or finding someplace or something you need.
2. You are very close to all the major attractions in the Riverwalk area, unless you have a disability or medical condition there are enough attractions within waking distance to keep you busy for a couple days. If you want to travel outside that area a really good option is to buy a day pass for the via buses. $4 gets you 24 hours access, the routes are easy and both the drivers and information hosts are happy to help you out.
3. For shopping I hit Paris Hats, which is an iconic dealer for everything Stetson and more. The shop has lots of character (includes historic dirt, a few areas could definitely use a good cleaning) and the staff are very knowledgeable. If you buy a hat make sure you ask to go in the back and watch them shape it for you! For clothing Penners on E. Commerce gave me great service including same day tailoring for no extra charge on shirts that were quite reasonably priced.
4. The Botanical Garden was a great trip and the restaurant there was worth the stop. (Use the bus to get there!)
5. Check out what is going on at the Majestic Theatre, there is always something and it's a nice break from wandering the riverwalk area.

I spent most of the five days I was there walking so I didn't miss having a fitness center. The room was spacious and had plenty of character. The supplied bathrobes are nice and the in-room safe is easy to use. Overall, I had a great time, and if your priority is a friendly, social atmosphere and something that isn't a cookie cutter experience you will too.

Room Tip: Wander all the common areas and soak up the history on the walls and be sure to speak to everyone.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
phila, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My friend and I spent 5 fantastic days in San Antonio last week and I scored points by picking the Riverwalk Vista! This small inn is 'the real deal', with interesting historic photos, quilts and memorabilia displayed thruout its wide hallways; the high ceilings and huge windows add a feeling of roominess. San Antonio is a perfect destination for a romantic getaway, a girls long weekend and the Riverview Vista could be a great launching spot for a single traveler; a delicious breakfast each morning and the evening wine and cookies afford an easy setting for conversation . The staff were ever present, welcoming and very informative about activities and events. The Riverview is beautifully situated, across the street from the Riverwalk, around the corner from The Alamo, within walking distance of a number of beautiful and historic sites and neighborhoods in San Antonio. And the food - fantastic opportunities abound!
But beware - the hotel is situated on a very busy street corner and the rooms are noisy! Bring good ear plugs and you will be fine - street noise and sleep quality our only complaint.

Room Tip: ask for a quieter room - on the east side? there is no swimming pool or fitness factility (sorry...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Holland, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was a nice alternative to a convention hotel, and the proximity to the Riverwalk was convenient for the most part. The staff treated us like royalty, including upgrading us to a better room when the ceiling fan couldn't be repaired. Our first room on the backside of the hotel was relatively quiet - when the air conditioner was off (which is why we needed the ceiling fan at night) - except for the creaky floor. Our second room faced the Riverwalk and was noisier, with music going nonstop, even during the night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Friday Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent 4 nights here as a little getaway. Our room was on the third floor facing the river walk. The room was huge - tall ceilings, king-sized bed, nice modern bathroom, large flat screen, etc, etc. The hotel is incredibly quiet and yet is just steps away from the liveliest part of the riverwalk. The manager was incredibly pleasant and helpful. There is a nice healthy breakfast each morning including a hot dish that is different each day. Every afternoon fresh cookies are baked on site and available for the guests. In the evening there is complimentary wine. If you are going to san Antonio for business or pleasure I highly recommend this hotel. I would highly recommend our room and believe that the third floor is the most convenient location.

Room Tip: Street/river facing on the third floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Spent 3 nights here with my wife on our annual anniversary trip. While the room was nice enough (std Queen) and the bed was comfortable there were a few issues. The AC unit (one of those split type) was either on or off, no matter what temp you had it set for once it turned on it stayed on (can you say meat locker?) it was also quite loud. That turned out to be a good thing, because the street noise on Fri/Sat night was horrible. Very loud till well past 2am on saturday, so he roaring AC helped to drown out the noise.

The continental breakfast was pretty weak, the wine served in the pm was, well atrocious (I am NOT a wine snob but it was horrible). The entry is right off of S. Alamo street and next to a McDonalds - lots of foot traffic and several homeless that seemed to hand out by the door all day - not my idea of a romantic view.

Not a horrible stay, but I will not be going back and would not recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: If noise at night bothers you - pick a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverwalk Vista? Share your experiences!