“So Impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 46 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“So Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

i helped my dearest friend select Eva's Escape for a weekend getaway to celebrate her birthday. I can't say enough about the attention to detail, flexibility and deep desire to create an amazing experience that the team at Eva's Escape dedicated to my friend. From the moment she walked in through the follow up note that I received, Deborah and her team demonstrated a level of service that I usually only read about in East Coast magazines. My friend says she'll never stay at a big-box hotel again when she's in the San Antonio area. Her first choice, and mine...will be Eva's Escape.

Room Tip: The suite has more than enough room for multiple guests.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Del Rio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had set out to look for a hotel in downtown San Antonio for my husband's 75th birthday. We have stayed in several old, beautiful hotels--La Mansión Del Río Omni, The Menger, and The St. Anthony--and this time I wanted something different. Cruising through the Internet, I discovered this little gem called “Eva’s Escape at The Gardenia Inn.” What a charming B&B, how lucky could we get! As soon as we walked into the inn, Deborah gave us personal, intimate service until the very end. It is a three-story house restored to its original glory, with dark wood floors, gilt mirrors, doors with oval glass openings, filmy lace curtains at each tall window, and vintage furniture. There are five rooms, each decorated with chests of drawers, four-poster beds with lacy bedding, and deep claw foot tubs. The living room has Victorian sofas and gorgeous bookcases filled with books and guides. The dining room table is set with chargers, silverware, lacy tablecloth, and a sideboard with cups, coffee, and herbal teas. Before we left for our dinner, Deborah set out refreshments in the front parlor: strawberry cheesecake bites, a plate of mixed salted nuts, and a bottle of champagne. After our dinner we had to partake, of course! Delicious.

For breakfast the next morning, my husband started with coffee, wonderfully and silky strong, and for me a peach herbal tea. Deborah first began with a small bowl of fresh fruit drizzled in its own juices--the fruit was ripe and wonderfully fresh. The rest of the breakfast was fabulous--organic orange juice, turkey sausage links, delicious carrot cake pancakes with a dollop of whipped cream cheese, and maple syrup. We had a relaxing breakfast, and a delightful camaraderie, chatting and swapping stories with three other guests. What a wonderful time we had...

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor is lovely; however, the shower is very small. So we walked one flight...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am sad that I only could make one breakfast in 4 days due to conference meetings -- what a treat! Lovely food, company, service, and rooms. The area is right near local restaurants, a beer garden, and easy access to the lovely end of the Riverwalk. I was in Lily on the first floor and felt both at home and pampered. (At home, with 2 teens, I am usually not pampered, so am not used to being at home and pampered at the same time.) A small packed breakfast was shared with me to go on the days when I could not eat there, in a cute "Eva's" cloth bag. Every amenity was provided. There was not just WiFi, but also connections to Apple TV for listening to your own music. The 1905 home was stately and impressive, with comfortable spaces and thoughtful staff. I will return again when I come back to San Antonio, hopefully next time for fun instead of the convention center!

Room Tip: I heard raves about the top floor from other guests, but the 1st floor was very easy access and just...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Perhaps the most sophisticated, yet extraordinarily friendly inn my wife and I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Every detail - from bath products to silver napkin rings at the breakfast table - carefully chosen to enhance the guest experience. WiFi, Apple TV, Netflix for in-room entertainment ... along with a lovely second floor veranda where we shared a morning cup of coffee amidst birdsong. Every room offers its own special ambience focusing on comfort and grace notes.

Situated in San Antonio's historic King William district, a beautiful artistic neighborhood of historic homes, some dating back to the mid-1800's, the Gardenia Inn is perfectly situated a block away from the southern end of the Riverwalk. A scenic 15-minute stroll takes you into the heart of downtown San Antonio's shops and restaurants, the Alamo and Convention Center.

There are also splendid restaurants in close proximity to the Inn - El Mirador, Azuca, Rosario's, La Focaccia, and Madhatter's Tea Shop. Yet nothing beats the exquisite breakfast served by innkeeper Deborah and her amazing staff.

In my book, Eva's Escape surpasses every 5-star hotel in San Antonio - for the innumerable personal touches and Old World sensibilities this exceptional inn and its gracious owner embraces. We will never stay anywhere else in SA.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

200 characters is not enough to explain what Ms. Deborah has going with this place. Deborah is wonderful, Rosemary was amazing as well, the Inn was perfect, spotless, welcoming, WOW! Very relaxing close to everything and make sure you listen to Beborah's recommendations on where to eat or hang out, you won't be sorry. Great Food and a good uplifting story to go with it. My Wife and I can not say Thank you enough! Keep up the amazing work and we will see you in a year on our next trek across the US.

Room Tip: Every Room looked great, we stayed in the Lavender room, it has a clawfoot bath/shower in the room...
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary. The staff made us feel very welcome and helped us celebrate our anniversary. They provided suggestions for things to do and places to eat. Breakfast was delicious everyday and had a fun story to do with each meal. The house is beautiful and has many personal touches that allow you to feel at home. The area is beautiful and has many fun, delicious restaurants nearby. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone staying in San Antonio.

Austn, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I give Eva's 5 stars. Reserving the room & making special accommodations was very easy. I love the rooms & the staff was helpful & also gave us lots of privacy. Breakfast was absolutely Delicious! Tito's Cantina was within walking distance and had great food & drinks. My husband joined me on a business trip making this trip pleasantly fun.
Margie 6/20/13

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eva's Escape at the Gardenia Inn? Share your experiences!