“Romantic Get-A-Way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Valencia Riverwalk

Save Saved
You added Hotel Valencia Riverwalk to your Saves list
Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 East Houston Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2 Nights|3rd is FREE
Ranked #6 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Romantic Get-A-Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the Valencia several times and I am happy to say that it is are favorite place to stay in San Antonio. Contemporay Style Decore, Great Drinks at the Bar, Excellent Food at the restraunt, Friendly and Helpfull Staff.
Close proximity to the San Antonio River Walk and many nice restraunts and not to far from the San Antonia River walk Mall. Take a chance and stay at the Valencia you andy your loved one will not regret it.
Not to many kids and a lot of couples stay at this Hotel.

Room Tip: Interior Court yard is beutiful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
wenola, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Jadsalazar,
Thank you for your valued comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your loyalty and the positive feedback. I will be sharing these comments with our staff. Thank one once again and we look forward to your future stays with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Houston TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is great. Very convenient location and the entire staff is very pleasant and helpful. The reviews I read some good, some not so good gave me concern until I arrived and saw it for myself. The ambience (what some were calling darkness) is exquisite. The rooms are not old and dated as some mentioned. They are wonderfully appointed. The valet and doormen treated us like they really appreciated us and helped us with anything from directions to extra things they were not obligated to do. I will stay here everytime I can while on business and pleasure. If this hotel doesn't do it for someone then they are not appreciating excellance.

Room Tip: The only reason I did not give the Value a 5 star rating is because I had to go to Priceline to get...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
wenola, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear no1girlfriend,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all the great praise and comments regarding your stay. I will definitely being sharing your comments with our valet and doorman. We are also pleased you enjoyed the lighting and decor of our hotel. We look forward to next stay with us and thank you for choosing Hotel Valencia Riverwalk while your in San Antonio.

san fran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great location. Classy hotel. Great service. Yes, the rooms, and the hotel in general, are a bit dimly lit, but, unless you are planning to spend your time indoors, this shouldn't be an issue. They have a lovely courtyard on the third floor, and the fitness center is well equipped. Didn't find out about the buffet service until the day I left. Perhaps advertising it in the rooms would be helpful.
Will definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear crtd,
Thank you for your great comments and taking the time to write about your stay. Our courtyard is cherished by many and we are glad that you found your niche within. Many of our guest do come to the hotel solely to enjoy our courtyard. Your positive reviews regarding our fitness center are also appreciated. We look forward to your next stay and thank you for choosing Hotel Valencia Riverwalk while in San Antonio.

Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was located on the Riverwalk. It was a short distance to the Alamo (walking distance was about 10 minutes at a relaxed pace). The room we stayed in was open to the courtyard and at 10 pm it was closed to the public so noise was at a minimum. Being light sleepers was not a problem here. The food was pricey, and the biggie was that the dinningroom was closed on Sunday after the morning brunch. Be sure to get their schedule if you plan to eat at the hotel. We would go back to this hotel and area we had such a great time.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel for the dinningrooms hours if you plan to eat there. Take your casual walking...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Betty L,
I want to take this chance and thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay. We value all guest comments and we are obliged for the high rating. I want to apologize for the miscommunication regarding our Citrus restaurant. It seems as though we failed to inform you of the hours of operation during the time of check-in and for that I am sorry. I will be sharing this experience with our staff to keep this from happening in the future.

I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable. Please know that you always have a place to stay while in San Antonio. One again thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Port Aransas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have now been to the Hotel Valencia 3 times when visiting San Antonio. It is a wonderful place to stay, perfectly located on the San Antonio Riverwalk but in a section that is not too noisy. Dimly lit rooms and lobby... a fantastic bar (although there is not a lot of seating for groups actually at the bar itself) there is there is plenty of seating in the open area. They have a great outdoor courtyard with a waterwall and seating to hang out and enjoy a cocktail and relax. The beds are super comfy!! Dark woods, faux fur, leather chair and ottoman... the men feel pretty comfy in this room... Valet was very polite, front desk had everything I had asked for and overall a wonderful stay! I would say best for couples, business, friends...

Room Tip: I asked for a higher up room to try and avoid the noise on the streets.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sunshine_78373,

Thank you for your great review and rating concerning your recent stay with us. We enjoy hearing reviews like this and sharing them with our members of staff. Reviews like yours truly show what we represent regarding our levels of service.

We appreciate your loyalty regarding your choice of hotels while in San Antonio. I would recommend signing up for our repeat VVIP program at http://www.hotelvalencia-riverwalk.com/vvip.htm if you are going to be staying with us on a consistent basis. It is complimentary to sign up and has great benefits that you would be able to benefit from.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Luanda, Angola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I often stay at the Sorella Hotel in Houston on business which is part of the same chain so was looking forward to staying here especially given the positive reviews. The hotel sent me lots of e-mails before my arrivals advising of what was on in San Antonio, weather, etc. and after checking in got another e-mail, saying I could use my smart phone to scan when I wanted room service, etc.m(Room didn't end up being cleaned until after 5 :30 PM!)

The hotel is classy but very dark with red carpets and black furniture everywhere. NBA players and rockers (you can see the names of the famous people who have stayed here off the Citrus restaurant) love it here but if you don't like loud music blaring in the corridor and sometimes bleeding into your room, this might not be your scene. The hotel is undergoing refurbishment at the moment and that wasn't made clear at the time of booking. It's not bad, but something to be aware of.

The hotel is popular for baby showers and weddings on weekends so this affects check in times, wait times at the restaurant, etc.

Check in time is a late 4 PM and check out time an early 11 AM. I checked in at 11:30 AM and was told they would have my room ready by 2 PM. At 3:45 PM I went back and the room was ready but they wouldn't let me in because the quality assurance team needed to check it. I asked if they could let the people doing the checking know that I was waiting. The receptionist didn't want to do this but eventually relented because I had just got off a flight from Africa and was jet lagged. Ten minutes later at about 4 my room was ready.

I tried making some local calls but was unable to do so--I kept getting reception. Something was wrong with the phone system in my room so I had to go through reception to make all calls. They kept telling me they would call me when fixed but it was never sorted out. Also, people who made calls to my room weren't able to get to me but had to leave messages. I then needed to sort through about 10 messages dating back to September 2010 to get to mine!

Otherwise, room was clean, furniture was fine, size average but bathroom small. I had a room overlooking Houston Street on the 4th floor and it was VERY loud. I needed ear plugs as you can hear the rumble of every bus and truck and motor bike starting at about 5 AM!

There is free Internet which is fast and they have three computers and a printer in the lobby for free use if you don't have a laptop or need to print a boarding pass.

I had breakfast at the vaunted Citrus restaurant but wasn't impressed--the oatmeal was the most bland I have ever had. Also, the layout of that restaurant is quite strange. Might be nice if you get a table on the terrace. I didn't try lunch or dinner there though. If you want top class food, Las Canarias is a short walk on the Riverwalk and around the corner from the Valencia is an award winning Mexican working man's taco place--Cafe Blanco.

They have a gym which has a decent range of equipment.

Bottom line: the hotel is in a good location and trendy, but for a room on a low floor on a street where the windows don't have sound proofing, I feel the rate is too high. Also, I think the hotel needs to pay more attention to details like getting the phones working, clearing out old messages and cleaning rooms more quickly. Next time I will opt for the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear poleinahole1,

I want to start off by thanking you for the detailed review regarding your stay. We value comments like yours because they help us to improve both our levels of service and our amenities.

I would like to personally apologize for the issues you experienced while staying with us. We hold much higher standards and it seems that this was not the case for your stay. I can completely understand how exhausting and frustrating it can be to not be able to access your room after an international flight. The last thing that you want to do is have to wait for your room. We are making adjustments to keep this from happening in the future.

Our housekeeping department is also aware of the late maid service and they understand the importance of completing this service at an earlier hour. I know that all our guest want to come back to clean room after a day spent out in the city.

We do offer rooms that are located towards the interior part of the hotel or even riverside that may help with noise reduction. Losing a good night’s rest is the last thing that you want while away from home and I am sorry for this noise issue.

I want to stress that we take all guest comments seriously. I want to also thank you for the good rating and hope that we can change a number of impressions and experiences regarding your previous hotel stay. I would like this opportunity so if you are ever in San Antonio please feel free to contact me directly at jgonzalez@valenciagroup.com.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here with a large group of women (42) for girl's getaway. Right on Riverwalk. Staff was nice, helpful. Check in was quick. Rooms were clean, adequate. Bed comfy. Noticed lamp shade had burn holes in it and some stains on carpet. Rate was fine. Overall the hotel and hallways and rooms are very dimly lit, just seems really dark. We had happy hour at the bar and lounge area which was nice. Had to go to bar to get drinks, no lounge service. Didn't utilize parking as we were on a bus, but heard it was expensive. Breakfast was adequate but service VERY slow. Might try this hotel again if in the area.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing street, very noisy, even on Sunday morning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear peggydill,

I want to start off by thanking you for your valued comments. We always appreciate our guest taking the time to comment about their stay.

I sincerely apologize for the noise issue you experienced. I would be pleased to do offer additional room locations that may fit your needs for increased lighting and noise reduction.

We look forward to your next with us! Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance at jgonzalez@valenciagroup.com.

Hotel Management

Been to Hotel Valencia Riverwalk? Share your experiences!