“Can I move in?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Washington DC
“Can I move in?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I love chic, boutique hotels and am very picky about where I stay but I was genuinely blown away by this place. The whole hotel is an experience--from the floor-to-ceiling waterfall in the entry way to the dimly lighted sort of sexy lobby on the second floor. The lobby area which houses the restaurant, bar and has a balcony with a fire pit overlooking the river walk reminds me of a swanky bar--dim lighting, candles, a chic little lounge...it even smells good!

The room itself was very nice with a big, comfy king sized bed with high-end linens, a large flat screen tv, a lovely bathroom, and fancy little complimentary soaps and shampoos. Have you ever been to one of those hotels and thought---I wish my house looked like this? That's how I felt. Impeccably decorated.

I walked though the bar and restaurant but didn't eat there. They were equally swanky looking. They also had a pool area but being from DC I did not anticipate a pool being open in January. Looked very nice though.

Very nice location about 4 blocks from the Alamo and literally right on the river walk. About half an hour from the airport (cost about $30 including tip for a cab).

A few slight nit-picks. I loved the swanky, dim lighting throughtout the hotel, but in my room it was a bit annoying. Even with all the lights on I had a hard time doing my makeup in the bathroom (and the room itself wasn't any better). I got locked out of my room because my key stopped working the second time I used it. No free breakfast and the prices were pretty high. Lastly, the room was slightly noise until about 10:30. There was a marachi band playing at one of the restaurants on the river walk below my window. Even though I was on the 9th floor I could hear it although the air conditioning drowned it out a bit. Just be wary getting a room facing the river walk, courtyard, or a room closer to the ground level.

This hotel takes a government per diem rate and government tax exempt forms.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
wenola, Owner at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
It was our pleasure to host you during your trip from DC! Thank you for such a wonderful description of our hotel— from the lobby to the restaurant to your room. We're pleased to hear you loved the design and decor throughout. We absolutely intend for our hotel to be a whole experience, not simply a place to stay. Of course you are welcome to move in, but could you work from San Antonio?

We hope you were able to take advantage of our prime location, experience the Riverwalk's restaurants, bars, shops and also check out the city's other attractions. The next time you are in town, we hope to welcome you back!

Thanks again,
Beth Smith, Valencia Group

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stayed one night at this hotel, great location right on the River Walk. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. Hotel had free WiFi too, which is uncommon these days for "upscale" places. The overall feel of the hotel is more geared towards couples as the entire hotel is very dimly lit throughout. The noise from the street can be very loud at time, which is no fault of the hotel, just something to be aware of.

Dena,

Thank you for staying with us for your night to San Antonio! We're glad you loved our location— hopefully you had fun exploring the Riverwalk and other attractions during your stay. I'm also glad you found the room clean and comfortable, and the free wi-fi convenient! It seems like an obvious amenity to provide our guests, so it's great to know you really appreciate it. The next time you find yourself in San Antonio, we would love to welcome you both back.

Thanks again,
Venice Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were greeted by a receptionist who was to say the least officious and certainly not very warm or friendly. I had requested and paid for on-line an upgrade but was told there were none.
The room we were taken to was 721. We had booked and paid for a Riverview Room. This room had neither the view nor the oversized leather armchair that you boast in your room description.
We complained and were taken to room 521 a much larger, brighter and generally more pleasant room with a possible view of the river but because of really bad planning of the room the shutters could not open more than several inches before hitting the false ceiling.
We had ordered on-line a fridge for the room so as I could keep my medication at the right temperature. It was not in either of the rooms and requested it again at the reception. I was assured one would be sent up - it never arrived.
Generally, I think the hotel is dark, dingy and certainly not what i would describe as either luxury or 4 star.
The hotel seemed less interested in hospitality more inclined toward how much money can we make off of our guests.
In fairness, having written this, the receptionist asked about our stay when we checked out and did make a gesture toward the cost of our stay as recompenses.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

First let me say that the valet guys were very sweet and the one thing my husband and I appreciated from the hotel. The room was nice but I could hear my neighbors arguing. My room service order was an hour and a half late and it was wrong, but they were nice about it and I wasn't charged. But here is my issue , upon check out we got our receipt on scratch paper (she told us so we didn't mind) what we did mind was that upon closer review , the scratch paper had the names of guests who stayed there when we did plus it had the amounts that each paid for their stay! Very personal info that I would think a hotel of this status would keep private. Is my info out there? Make sure to check your receipts upon check out.

• Stayed January 2012
wenola, Owner at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Miabel,

Thank you for making us aware about hotel information being passed on to you via scratch paper. It is quite embarrassing, and we did have a swift response with our staff after your review. Fortunately, our property management system does not allow the most personal information of our guests, such as credit card numbers— it automatically masks all but the last 4 digits of the credit card number, both on paper AND on the screen.

We also commissioned a PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance audit to test our security measures, and we were in the top 10% for all businesses. Surprisingly, the use of recycled paper was not an issue, because of our property management system security feature that I described above.

Be that as it may, we take privacy very seriously, so we have taken our security a step further and banned the use of recycled paper. I assure you we will only do better in the realm of guest security. We would love to have you back to enjoy Hotel Valencia and the added security measures we have implemented— thanks to you!

Respectfully,
Robert Leyva, Valencia Group

Please feel free to call me directly to discuss further: 210.227-9700
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My husband and I decided to take a quick weekend getaway this past weekend and we had never stayed on the Riverwalk before. We normally stayed somewhere in San Antonio and drove everywhere we went. So we booked a room at this hotel and all I need to say is this is where we are staying from now on. We had read a lot of really good reviews prior to our arrival. The only bad reviews we read pretty much all said the same thing....that the hotel was very dark. I do see where that is true. It is a dark hotel upon arrival but to me that is what adds to the romantic atmosphere. The decor of the lobby and entrace is very nice. Every single person that worked at this hotel was so nice and informative. When we checked in we got an automatic upgrade to our room and every day when we would come back to our room in the afternoon the bed would be made and everything cleaned up. The first day they left chocolate for us and left romantic music playing lightly in the room. Needless to say this was a perfect getaway form my husband and I.

P.S. We could hear pretty clearly walking around and talking in the middle of the night both nights but like I told my husband...we are staying in a public place so I expect to hear some thing and it not be completely quiet.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the Courtyard view which was lovely. Also because of that there was no road noi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We're so glad you gave us a try and loved your getaway here on the Riverwalk! The location makes all the difference; it can be such a treat to leave the car and get around on foot for a few days. I'm glad to hear you both appreciated the romantic ambiance of the low lighting and stylish decor. Our helpful staff does their best to compliment this soothing atmosphere— the chocolates and romantic music in your room sound lovely!
Also, thank you for your understanding about the noise. The hotel is typically very quiet, but we can't always account for fellow guests or busy night activity.

Thank you for taking the time to review us after your stay in January. We're thrilled to hear you plan to return to Hotel Valencia, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

All the best,
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

Very romantic place, with great service and plenty to do with walking distance. Favorite place to stay on the Riverwalk!

• Stayed January 2012
We're honored to be your favorite place to stay on the Riverwalk! Thank you for your compliments to our romantic atmosphere and friendly, attentive staff. It's our pleasure to make your stay in San Antonio as easy and comfortable as possible! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in town.
Warm regards,
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is a very modern and hip hotel with a great location on the River Walk. It is not on the horseshoe where most of the restaurants are but very near. Room was good size, clean and good decor. Our room faced Houston St and we could hear some street noise on the sixth floor so if you are a light sleeper or not used to city noise, you may want to pay a little more and get a river or courtyard view. I thought this hotel was a great value for what we paid and the staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
wenola, Owner at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
James,

Thank you for all of your compliments. We love our location, just off the busier strip of the Riverwalk. This way, we still enjoy the convenience but can avoid the (occasional) chaos!

I'm glad both of you enjoyed your stay back in January. The next time you are in San Antonio, we would love to welcome you back!

All the best,
Beth Smith, Valencia Group

Been to Hotel Valencia Riverwalk? Share your experiences!