“Our new home if we move to San Antonio” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Our new home if we move to San Antonio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stumbled upon the Friendly Spot one night while walking around near our B&B in King William district. We ended up going back every night while we were in San Antonio.

The place is supposed to be reminiscent of an Austin icehouse, basically an outside bar. We didn't encounter anything like it in Austin. Though they have a large number of tables spread around outside, on the weeknights we were there it was packed, a good sign. On the weekday nights, when the temperature dropped to a sub-arctic for Texas 58, it was much less crowded. On these nights though they had patio heaters blazing and offered us warm drinks and blankets. They also have a huge screen where they project sporting events and tv. It was a ton of fun to get into a Texans game with the crowd there.

The bar itself is fantastic with a huge selection of craft beer. Many of these were on tap and I think I got to try each one as they had several dirt cheap specials each night on them. They also had an immense selection of bottled beer from all around. Coming from the east coast, I wasn't familiar with a lot of the local brew, and each of the bartenders was very helpful and knowledgeable about their selection and helped guide me to great choices. When my wife was looking for something a little different, they made her a Chilado, apparently a local favorite which is a sort of bloody marry with beer. I wasn't a fan, but she loved it.

By the time we left we were already making friends with the regulars and staff. I have a feeling if we moved there, we'd be regulars ourselves.

Visited November 2012

Folsom, California
“A very friendly spot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stopped by on a warm Tuesday afternoon, after a stroll around the King William neighborhood. I had heard good reviews, and was not disappointed. The bartender greeted us warmly, and spent time going through the current taps. I chose the Naked Nun draft, and my wife chose the Convict Hill stout. We stayed for a few more from their impressive bottle collection. If I lived in the SA area, this would be on my list of regular haunts

Visited November 2012
Texas
“Cha-ching$$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great beer selection; nice open air venue; prices rediculously expensive for not having hardly any overhead. Paid $17 for 2 draught pints. Won't be back!

Visited October 2012
Jody N, Owner at The Friendly Spot Ice House, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for visiting The Friendly Spot Ice House. We are located in the heart of San Antonio's popular Southtown neighborhood. Friends love craft beer and we stock many hard to get and limited edition brews. We also provide friendly pours at either 16oz or 20oz. But, we pride ourselves on "all welcome" at The Friendly Spot. Our beer prices start at $2 and go up from there. I am sorry you were not presented with more wallet friendly options at your visit. I hope you enjoyed your time in San Antonio. Take Care.
San Francisco, California
“Very friendly and more choices of beer than you can imagine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

A local police officer recommended this spot to us and we had a great time. It was very casual and friendly. The atmosphere was a bit like going to a party at a friend's house. There is even a playground for the little ones. My only complaint is that there were no decent bathrooms only porta potties lined up near the side of the property. If they added a ladies room this spot would be perfect!

Visited September 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Friendly is definitely the right name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I started visiting the Friendly Spot in the summer of 2011 when a friend introduced me to the bar. I love it. I've been during the craziness of First Friday, and I've enjoyed a quiet Sunday afternoon there. Throughout the year they have Wednesday Family Movie nights on a giant blow-up screen. They also use the screen for sports.
As a beer lover though, my favorite thing is the selection of beer. I can always find something new to try. Often they have $2 tap specials, so there's no harm in trying a new beer. If you're not a beer drinker, they have delicious mimosas and sangria. I keep telling myself to try something new, but every time I still get the black bean chipotle burger. It's that good.
It's kid-friendly, dog-friendly, and very cyclist-friendly.
Be warned though, it is mostly an outside bar and San Antonio gets warm!

• Visited May 2012