“Good Concept but Food Lacks Quality” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #819 of 4,136 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Bakery, Coffee Shop, Delicatessen, Vegetarian, Healthy, Bagels, Café, Bistro, Pasta, Soups, Family Fare, Sandwiches
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner
San Antonio, Texas
“Good Concept but Food Lacks Quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Think "cheap imitation" of McAllisters or Jason's Deli, and you've got a decent picture of what you're in for at Corner Bakery. I love the decor. The location is perfect. The staff is friendly. The prices are average. But the food is downright pedestrian. The soups are watery. The salads are mostly a heap of chopped lettuce (meaning one has to search to find any meat or cheese crumbles) and the salad dressings are bottled (no blue cheese at all and the thousand island is nothing more than reuben sandwich spread... ick.) The sandwiches follow suit-- mostly bread, little filling. I haven't tried the pastas, but I'm guessing like the salads and soups and sandwiches, it's probably much pasta, little topping. The desserts are impressive but at a dollar per cookie? No thanks. I want to love Corner Bakery Cafe but it just seems to be so much less than it could be...?

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“NOT Gluten Free”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Do NOT eat here if you have celiacs or are gluten intolerant. Before recently, I had been to the Quarry location at least 9 or 10 times and was very pleased with my meal and the service that I received. So when my family came into town, including my sister that had recently been diagnosed with celiacs disease (i.e., highly allergic to gluten), and I realized there were Gluten Free options on the menu, I was delighted to take them there.

When we arrived, I requested the GF menu, which was pretty basic but okay. My sister decided she would order a salad and stressed to the cashier that she could NOT have gluten. The cashier seemed confused as to what Gluten was or which items she could not have that would normally come on the salad. She thought my sister could not have the dressing, which she could (according to the GF menu). My sister stressed that she could not have croutons or the bread. Thought we were maybe in the clear, but I guess this should have been the first sign that the meal would not go well. When her order was brought to the table, it was not designated as GF and her salad had a piece of bread on it. BIG no-no. Due to her extreme allergy to gluten, there can be NO cross contamination of her food. So we asked the server to bring a new salad without the bread. They came back in less than a minute with probably the same salad and STILL brought the bread, but on a separate plate. My poor sister was so frustrated. It was clear that no one involved with her order had ANY clue what gluten was or how her meal should be prepared/treated. I ended up going up to the counter to ask if it was the same salad or if they had made a new salad. No one ever answered me. They just made her a new salad. The server also asked me what "gluten" was.

I am completely disappointed in the service we received that day. If a restaurant is going to have a gluten free menu, then they should train ALL of their employees on what gluten is and the measures that should be taken if someone is gluten intolerant. I'm sure this goes without saying, but they certainly lost this repeat customer that day.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio
“Kudos to Corner Bakery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

In the past, Corner Bakery had problems preparing their eggs, being either cold or not fully cooked. Today, they go it right. I had their Anaheim Panini sandwich and it was great!. It came to the table hot and fresh. The tomato, bacon, cheese, avocado and onions mixed in the eggs made for a delicious sandwich. But the compliment goes to one of the Corner Bakery staff. My friend Bill had ordered a side of oatmeal with his breakfast. It wasn't much of a serving so he asked if he could get a refill on it. The girl clearing tables brought him another bowl at no extra charge! Now that's the way to win customer loyalty. My wife did not feel like having breakfast so she ordered a tuna fish sandwich. The sandwich was hearty with just a touch too much pepper. We'll be back again to support this Corner Bakery for our Sunday breakfast after Church service.

Visited April 2013
Boerne, Texas
“Disappointed...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have heard great things about Corner Bakery in California, and was excited to have one here in San Antonio. Having been to the SA location a couple of times, I was sadly disappointed. The sandwiches are portioned very small. My friend had to send her sandwich back, since it was mostly bread and very little chicken salad. The manager offered us dessert for our trouble. It was only good part of the meal! Perhaps desserts are their specialty. If you want a sandwich, I would recommend going somewhere else.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio, Texas
“Fresh and excellent sandwiches!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Although it's hard to really screw up a sandwich, I have tried a few places that really have no idea how to please a sandwich lover. Don't pass up Corner Bakery Cafe if you are a fan of fresh, flavorful and healthy food options.
I am definitely a repeat customer and it probably has something to do with the devilish dessert offerings. You can't go wrong here!

Visited November 2012