“COCKROACH in the room & No apologies!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   102 El Paso Street, San Antonio, TX 78204   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #146 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Kirkland, Washington
“COCKROACH in the room & No apologies!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

My wife and I were making a road trip from Seattle to Houston and we arrived at this hotel around midnight on our 8th day. When we got into the room, we saw a cockroach (see the picture). Unfortunately we were so tired after driving all day (otherwise we would leave the hotel right away). I killed it and we went to sleep (with nightmares!). We saw another roach on the stairs next morning. I told about it to the receptionist during checkout and he didn't even apologize. He just said "I'll tell the room keepers to clean it up". How nice!
If you are an entomologist or you have special interest in cockroaches, this may be the perfect place. Otherwise, I would stay away!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Haysville, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I won't lie, after reading a lot of these reviews, I was nervous about staying here. Our stay was overall, very pleasent. The staff was always very nice and helpful. Our only "complaint" was that our keys would never work when we got back to the hotel. So we just made a habit of stopping at the front desk on our way in to have them re-scanned. The breakfast was great. The dining area is a bit small, but they were sold out most of the time we were there and we never had issues getting a table during breakfast. The pool was great and felt amazing after a long day. There is a bar behind the hotel that does play their music VERY loud. But we only heard it on Saturday night, our other 3 nights there, we didn't hear it at all. Don't let the fact that it is in an "industrial" area scare you off. It's not bad at all. We never walked down to the Riverwalk, but it is do-able. We wished we would have just walked down there on a Saturday night when parking is such a nightmare down there. The seperate living and bedroom is amazing. Especially since we were traveling with our 5 year old daughter. We could put her to bed, shut the door and watch tv and relax in the living room. The wifi along with the microwave and mini-fridge were great as well. And the parking is FREE! We spent our days at either Sea World or Six Flags and it's about a 15 minute drive to either of those. All highway, so it's not bad at all. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and would definatly stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Let me start by saying that the location was ideal, right in downtown, but in a commercial area that is quite noisy outside. The only good things about this hotel was the rooms which are all suites that include a stylish sofabed, seperate living area with a tv, so 2 tv's and the staff, although short staffed, was very friendly. They did not get bothered when we asked for towels, toilet paper, or for better cleaning of our room. That is why I say they were short staffed because we shouldnt have to ask for these things they should take care of stocking up the rooms and clean them up right.
Everything else was not so good. On our first day, the pool was under maintance so was unavailable for a day and a half. The a/c in the lobby was not working the entire time we were there 5 nights. Breakfast area is too small, rooms were not cleaned as they should have been, dirty mirrors, no sweeping in restrooms either. On the first day we arrived there was not toilet paper in restroom except for the almost empty roll and only two towels. The restroom also had a smell to it, but after complaining it was cleaned the right way and the smell disappeared. Wireless internet was down the entire time, the "fitness center" only had 2 machines, not enough parking. One of the rooms we were given was not what we booked we had booked double beds, but they were full so we had to stay in a king bed room for one night, then moved to a double bed room the next night. I had read reviews prior to my stay that sound very much like my review so obviously the hotel is not making any changes to improve. Compared to other Holiday Inn Express Hotels, this one has been the worst one I have ever stayed at. Will not stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate hearing your honesty and
we will review our services and put a priority on the details you
mentioned.
Please contact us the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
We would like another chance to WOW you!.
wappingers falls, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

As long time patrons of Holiday inn it saddens me to write this review, but i must war all.we reserved a suite for 6 people. upon arrival late at night after a full day of travel our suite had 2 bath towels, 4 washcloths and 2 hand towels. we notified front desk and due to the time (which we understood ) only 2 more bath towels and a bath mat could be had. next morning before leaving for the day (at Lackland Airforce base) we spoke w/ front desk once again , and were assured towels would be there when we returned. After a full day on base in the hot sun we (6 people) came back to 1 bath towel and a bath mat. we were then given damp towels that were not dried yet. I could go on day by day for the entire trip( 4 days) but nothing changed. This is my 2nd bad experience w/ this chain. Please beware.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

I'll give you there is some wear and tear on the elavators...but how long are you required to spend in those...and I can't speak for any service for others as I was not there at the time....but absolutely no complaints here...I was wondering the halls trying to remember my room number to knock on the door for hubby to let me in.....one of the staff noticed my confusion and asked if I needed help (he literally took the time to notice my body language and not just walk on bye)..and I told him...I'd forgotten my room number and would check with front desk...what a guy...he would'nt let me and opened an unoccupied room and did it for me....

But for us....the room is nice...no it's not a flat screen tv...but wasn't that far back that none of us were watching tv on a flat screen ...you can still hear the tv and watch on a decent picure..

And if you're a smoker....they have balconies outside the room...how nice not to have to trample down the hall and out the lobby to smoke...(however I will say that the someone should've have laid down drop clothes before repainting...not a big thing....that little bit of drop clothe would've went a long way)

As to some complaints I read.....the 'free happy hour'....well yeah...it's in a room not the 'lobby' or a 'restaurant'....but come on....it's FREE.....kinda like complaining about someone blowing sunshine up your backside (rolling my eyes)....we stayed at one hotel that had an apparently very valuable bottle of water in our room for 4 BUCKS!!!! In perspective....a free happy hour ain't all that bad no matter where it's location...next to a 4 dollar bottle of water...in a hotel that wants appx 30 more bucks a night....you do the math..oh and did I mention that hotel charges 12 bucks a night for parking.

As to 'location' and getting to the riverwalk...I'll glady stay for 30 bucks less a night and wait for a trolley or walk 15 minutes on my own..

My only 'down' was the indoor manual 'window unit' ...I prefer a thermostat room..but it was pretty quiet and did the job....one other 30 more a night hotel had the same setup....so I can more than live that...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I was a bit nervous to book this room after reading some of the reviews. I booked this room and another as a back up in case this hotel was dirty. We were very pleased. My husband and I were travelling with our adult son so we needed accomodations that gave us more room and privacy. The hotel is located in a commercial area and it is a 5/6 block walk to the Market Square area. We walked back to the hotel after we had dinner at Market Square ...about 10pm and felt safe. The next day we walked back to Market Sq. to pick up the trolley to the Riverwalk area. The walk takes about 5 min.

Our room was very clean....we had plenty of clean towel for 3 adults. We had 4 pillows for each bed. The fridge was clean and no mold in the bathroom. Beds were very comfortable and there were clean sheets/blanket/pillow for the sofa bed. We stayed in room 307. We did not experience problems with noise from other guest or street traffic. The complementary breakfast was served from 6am-9am. We went down at 9:15am expecting that the breakfast service would be finished...but there was still plenty of food. They served scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, pasteries, yogurt, fruit, toast, cereal, milk, juice and coffe/tea. We paid about 110.00 per nite. The hotel staff was very accomodating...gave sightseeing and restaurant info. The pool was temporarily closed 1 day. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Thank you for the wonderful compliment.
Your feedback is important to us, as we strive to leave our guests
with a "memorable experience".
Please let us know, the next time you plan on visiting San Antonio!
We will be pleased to make your reservations.
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010 via mobile

This hotel is just ok. The free wifi was the best thing about it. The night we stayed, the whole second floor was booked for kids who were joining the military. You can hear REALLY easily through the walls- right as we were trying to sleep, near midnight, it started to sound like a George Lopez episode in the hall. I turned on the super-loud A/C to drown it out.

On the plus side, the room was fairly clean except there was a hair on one pillow and about half the towels had small, dark, gunky stains. I just didn't use them. The shower and bed were fine, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010
ttribby, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Thank you for your feedback.
We are pleased you enjoyed San Antonio.
We appreciate hearing your response & will use it to improve
our service and operations.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area

Address: 102 El Paso Street, San Antonio, TX 78204
Location: United States > Texas > San Antonio
Ranked #146 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area 2.5*
Holiday Inn Express San Antonio Downtown Market Area welcomes you. Located in the heart of downtown San Antonio, our all suite hotel has recently been renovated and is just a few miles from The Alamo, the downtown market district and the scenic River Walk, offering convenient access to the San Antonio International Airport. Our hotel is perfect for your next San Antonio vacation. This San Antonio hotel in the downtown market district provides easy access to area attractions including Sea World of Texas, the San Antonio Zoo, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Splashtown Water Park. Many popular shopping destinations are also nearby, such as the Rivercenter Mall, El Mercado Market Square and the North Star Mall. Other area attractions not far from our hotel in San Antonio include the Alamodome, the San Antonio Convention Center and the AT&T Center, home of the San Antonio Spurs.Business travelers will enjoy a stay at our newly renovated hotel in downtown San Antonio due to its close proximity to companies such as Tesoro, Xerox, Washington Mutual, IBC, Toyota and SBC. Our San Antonio hotel is just 15 miles from the San Antonio International Airport.During your stay at our San Antonio hotel, enjoy the 24-hour fitness center, heated, outdoor pool, relaxing whirlpool and complimentary hot breakfast bar. Check out the discount rates on our quality San Antonio hotel rooms by the River Walk and start planning your visit today. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, AAA Travel Services, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area
Holiday Inn San Antonio
Holiday Inn Express San Antonio
San Antonio Holiday Inn

If you own or manage Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.