“A Relaxing & Quiet Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Arbor House Inn And Suites
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   109 Arciniega, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #6 of 46 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“A Relaxing & Quiet Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband & I stayed in the upstairs Davy Crockett Suite for 3 nights, end of January, 2013, & loved it! It is so cute & tastefully decorated with Texas Western style decor. It is very quiet & had a comfortable living room which looked out at the Hemisphere Tower, as did the outside porch area, which was filled with lots of seating. The bedroom was nice & cozy, with a comfortable bed, a ceiling fan, & a split-bathroom that was really cool (toilet in its own special area, & sink & shower separated a few steps away). A beautiful breakfast was served in a basket left outside our door, with special accommodations made to bring it the night before when we had early morning meetings. There is an outside grassy courtyard, complete with a fountain, a canopied swing, & numerous areas to sit & relax. The location is perfect- 5 minutes from the Riverwalk & the little shops of La Villita, & parking was on-site & FREE (unlike the big downtown hotels). Best of all for us is that they are dog-friendly: pets are required to be on a leash outside, but we could leave our quiet little dog in her crate in the room, & go out for a meal or walk along the river. Wonderful!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

we stayed at the Arbor House in San Antonio in early December, 2012. It was 3 families, 11 and a baby in 3 suites.

The rooms were quite large and enjoyable with small kitchenettes, microwave, utensils, silverware, etc. the buildings were built in the early 1900s so you should not expect perfection, but they were very quaint, each decorated with a Christmas Tree. Quirky and very cool!

In between the 4 buildings is a very nice courtyard which was the perfect gathering place for our large group.

The owner, Ron, made us feel quite welcome, and was more than helpful at whatever questions we had.

Location is outstanding...on a quiet block very close to the RiverWalk, LaVillita, and the Alamo. When at the Alamo, MAKE SURE to stop off at the Menger Hotel...where Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders... AND GO TO THE BAR...and have them make you a bloody mary...BULLY!!!! a truly outstanding Bloody Mary...and one of their specialties.

All in all, we had a great trip, were very glad we stayed at Arbor House, and would definitely recommend it to a friend...

Room Tip: we stayed in the James George Suite which was on the first floor...but I think they all were similar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dietikon, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is a compound of four beautiful southern style wooden houses. The rooms have high ceilings with fans but also air conditioning. Nice old fashioned bath room with free standing bath.
As there is no communal dinig room, breakfast is delivered each morning to your door in a basket. We brewed our own coffeee and had bagels, muffins, jelly, fresh fruit bowl. Liked this very much. Quiet location just steps from the riverwalk area. Preferred this to large chain hotels. Free customer parking on the property. Manager seems to have a tendency to mark a 'I am the boss you are the guest' maybe it is a dose of machismo. At least this is what I felt. But maybe as a result of it the place is well kept and a stay there is highly recommendable.

Room Tip: No special recommendation is needed. If you stay longer maybe a room on the first floor with direct...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Arbor House Suites for 5 days in October/November 2012. I was there for a conference at the San Antonio convention center. While we were there, and my partner's family drove up from their small Texas town to spend some time with us while we were in the state.

This was a great place to stay. My partner and I were in the Davy Crockett suite - while it doesn't have a luxurious bathroom, that suite has a great walk-out porch that has a view of the Tower of the Americas and surrounding hotels. There was a Diwali celebration with fireworks on our last night there, and it was great to chill out on the 2nd story porch and watch them. My partner's parents had the other upstairs room right next to us. While they can be a little loud, I never heard them through the walls. It was nice for us to all have a floor to ourselves (each house has 3 suites, with 2 on the second floor and 1 on the first).

The room was clean, the wifi worked great (there was one instance where it needed to be reset, this was a quick fix once we let Ron & Adolph know). Bed was comfortable. I think the breakfast basket was pretty neat, actually. On several of the days, I left really early for my conference. I was able to get the food the evening before and eat on my own schedule.

The location was great. The walk to the convention center was just 10 minutes from the B&B. It was a block away from La Villita and the riverwalk. It was also close to some seemingly hipper, less touristy parts of San Antonio, which was pretty cool. While Arbor House is in a pretty urban setting, the garden between the houses feels very special - like a green oasis.

When we got to Arbor House, we were greeted by Ron Stinson - owner of the establishment. He has an expansive, and very warm demeanor. He was very welcoming, and made us feel right at home from the moment we arrived. Ron has created a special place, and we know that we will be staying with him on any future trips to San Antonio.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerrville, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

First and Foremost we hardly ever get to leave home and get to go anywhere, although we have stayed at Hotels for Numerous reasons it was never for a Romantic, Relaxing Getaway!!! It was my Birthday Weekend and the Love of my life wanted for me to have fun!!! Centrally Located the Arbor House is Seriously in Walking Distance of everything downtown SA has to offer!!! While with all the quietness of being in the Country!!! The rooms were decorated beautifully and such a peaceful in every sense of the word.The Staff and owner were wonderful and friendly and went above the call of duty to make sure our stay was a memorable One!!! Breakfast served to us in a Picnic Basket and left for us at the door to enjoy at our leisure was very delicious and just the right amount of food for Two!! We my love and I highly recommend the Arbor House for the perfect relaxing atmosphere and comfortable beds (slept like a baby), gorgeous Architecture and wonderful staff to truly tie the whole downtown San Antonio Experience together!! We will be staying there again!! Not too mention recommending it to everyone I know! We Absolutely Loved it!!! Thank you to the staff and my love for making my Birthday Extra Special and one I will not soon forget!!

Room Tip: All rooms are awesome
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
neverneverland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Okay, so I thought we would try something a little different...bad idea! When we got there the manager wasn't even there yet. He arrived shortly after we got there at the same time as another couple. The office was a DISASTER AREA and the manager was creepy and rude!
Finally, he took us to our room and it stank like my Grandma's house, old & musty and HOT! I didn't sleep well at all because it was too hot and the bed was uncomfortable! NOT a good experience!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a charming and comfortable Inn with a most hospitable staff. Ron, the owner just couldn't do enough to make our stay more pleasant. We visited Thanksgiving weekend and he made sure that our house was fuly decorated for Christmas, before we arrived. Each of the houses is decorated in a beautifully different Christmas theme. The lovely courtyard was so comfortable. We enjoyed coffee in the morning and relaxing in the evening, sitting under the trees. It is located in a quiet neighborhood and is an easy walk to the Riverwalk, the Alamo, shopping and restaurants. It was a most economical package for our family.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Arbor House Inn And Suites? Share your experiences!