“Awakened at 1AM by a staff member who opened my door!” 2 of 5 stars

Riverwalk Plaza Hotel & Suites
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Villita St, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Ranked #173 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Minnesota
“Awakened at 1AM by a staff member who opened my door!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Sound asleep at 1:00AM, a staff member came into my room and turned on the lights! After my disoriented scream, he realized he was in the wrong room and left. Should I have chain locked the door? Yes I should have, but still, that is not acceptable. When I addressed this incident to the hotel supervisor the next morning, she was less than apologetic and offered up zero ways to make it right. Needless to say, I was very upset. Then later that day, I noticed the safe in my room was broke. Then I noticed a plastic bag wrapped around the smoke detector in my room. A sure fire hazard, probably antics of the persons who stayed in that room before me. There is no continental breakfast, and the little Java Cafe offers few food choices before closing at 2pm on weekdays and noon on weekends. The restaurant was absolutely dead all seven nights I stayed there. It was kind of like a ghost hotel. Not many people around. This hotel is not directly on the Riverwalk. You have to walk a block and cross the street to get to it. Once you are on it, it is a 10-15 minute walk to get to the first restaurant you see. The bathroom in the hotel room was tiny, I could barely close the door since it almost hit the toilet while shutting. I will not be coming back to this hotel! One of the worst hotel experiences of my life and I have traveled a lot. One thing I will say is that their housekeeping and maintenance workers were very polite and helpful and the bed in my room was super comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I just returned from staying at the Riverwalk Plaza Hotel. It is a very nice clean hotel with a coffee shop bar and restaurant. The service was great and the staff very friendly. I would definitely stay there again

Stayed March 2013
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Nice hotel, very friendly helpful staff, breakfasts are okay nice pancakes, etc, very nice evening meal, rooms are a good size and are well cleaned. The hotel is about 20 seconds walk from the south end of the Riverwalk. Give it a go you might be surprised!

Room Tip: Probably near the pool as less likely to hear the trains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rockwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Riverwalk Plaza. We were not sure what to expect, but right from the start we enjoyed our stay. We loved the location, not too far from 35, and not too far from downtown San Antonio. The staff was super friendly and accommodating, and our room was both clean and quiet. My wife and I have been to the area several times, and for the price, and amenities, it is one of our favorite stays in the Riverwalk area. Pros: Price, convenience, wifi, gym, nice staff... Cons: Not super new or as large as some of the bigger chain hotels, but then its not as expensive either...

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I recently stayed here during a conference. The staff were very helpful and pleasant.
Pros: Conveniently located to the Riverwalk, Convention Centre, Mall and most of the local attractions, wireless internet included, 24 hour gym. Free cookies in the lobby!!
Cons: The hotel itself is a bit older compared to the bigger chain hotels in the area, could be a bit cleaner (carpets, showers are a bit worn in)
Overall, a very good experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Renton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

There were mixed reviews for this place but I booked it anyway knowing that sometimes people are overly picky. I have to say I found this hotel as a Groupon deal and called them to see if they had my dates available before buying the Groupon. They were very nice on the phone and even offered to match the Groupon price. I appreciated the help and was excited to stay there.
However once we checked in we went up to our room which was in an odd place. You went down a hall and then went through a door to the outside. Our room was the first one outside so there was no view of the pool or anything else. The first problem was opening the door. We put the key in, opened the door and it didn't open all of the way because one of the beds was blocking it! There were no toiletries (soap, shampoo, lotion) in the bathroom so I went downstairs to ask for a bar of soap so we could clean up before we went to the riverwalk. They told me they didn't have any at the desk and would send some up. Then suddenly one of the girls pulled out a box (that looked like a grab bag full of odds and ends) and dug down and found a bar. I took it back up to our room and by the time I got there my husband told me there was no coffee, only 1 towel etc. So on our way out I went back to the desk to ask to have those items sent up to our room. We then went to the riverwalk but it was very dark, the path was unlit and it was clear that we were in an area that was not populated. After a very nice dinner at Boudroux (sp?) we went back to our hotel and found that neither of the keys we were given were now working. I again went down to the front desk and the girl said that we shouldn't keep the key near credit cards or cell phones. There was also a security person there and she very curtly said "is there someone in the room?" The obvious answer was no since we were unable to get in the room! She gave us new keys and we were on our way. I finally got to bed and spent the evening listening to water going down inside of the wall and being blinded by a light outside of our room which we tried to cover with the curtains but to no avail. Besides that I woke up to people standing out side of our room smoking cigarettes because that's where the ashtray was! Unfortuately we were stuck there a 2nd night because at check in they make you sign a document stating that if you leave your reservation early you incur a $25.00 fee. (obviously this is an issue for them!) I have to say that I was smart enough to cancel my 3rd night there a week before we left and booked the Emily Morgan hotel instead as a last minute whim....I'm SO glad I did!

Better customer service, cleaner room and better room location might have helped....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel. Great location by Riverwalk near Main Plaza with the big church and courthouse. A short walk to Convention Center. A little older building with sort of a funky 1970s Spanish decor vibe in the lobby. I think it is family owned rather than a big chain. Spacious rooms with mini-fridge hidden in the dresser. Rooms have a had a few updates like flat screen TV, new crisp white bedding and granite top nightstands, tiled bathrooms with lovely grass cloth wallpaper (could still use a few more updates to furniture or curtains, I think before I'd consider this a "boutique" hotel). Inside courtyard with heated pool. First 2 floors are parking (which is rare in downtown San Antonio), $15 a day to park which is pretty awesome. On site bar, coffee shop and restaurant. Not necessarily a luxury romantic getaway but still very good for business, families or the average traveler. I paid about $115 for a double room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Riverwalk Plaza Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!