“Drum Corps Show” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1103 East Commerce Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #26 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Drum Corps Show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were in San Antonio for the Drum Corps championships and stayed two nights here. What a delightful place and staff. They were welcoming and helpful. We plan on attending the championships next July and will stay here again. Our room was on the first floor and it was quiet even though the hotel was completely full.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
How did you do? Please post your photos and results on our Facebook page. It was great to have all the musical talent under one roof...thank you for choosing us at a base for your competition trip. We are so glad we hit all the right notes with your stay (LOL), and look forward to seeing you next July.

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
San Juan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very nice hotel but no pool and the location is good but near a major expressway which you need to cross under the underpath to walk to the river walk. Not far from the riverwalk. But I have 4 kids so it was not fun to do.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ah, the pool...never had one; it was either a pool or parking lot. But San Antonio has so much to see with the Riverwalk just 2 blocks away, the Alamo at 3 blocks and all the theme parks within a 10 minute drive, we thought the lack of a pool would be forgiven.

Bring the family back, we'd love to see you again real soon.
San Antonio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you're not picky, this is an average hotel with an average guest room. No frills, just a decent night sleep and a nice breakfast in the morning. Our room was poorly lit, but had a nice lounge area complete with sofa and sofa bed. There was a musty odor to the room as well, but San Antonio is humid so maybe that was the cause. The hotel itself is charming with it's history framed and displayed in the lobby and in the decorations from the room. Breakfast was a nice selection, but the area got crowded quickly and there was a long wait for waffle maker, probably because they are shaped like Texas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We love to hear back from the most selective of our guests, thank you for your feedback. We are happy that we scored well and will take all of your thoughts to ensure that we score above average on your next trip with us.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here with my family....... (5 of us). Room was very spacious. Beds extremely comfortable. Rooms clean. Breakfast was Ok. The dining area was very clean and items were kept stocked by attendant. The attendent ensured that the dining area was clean. Which I have found to be a problem at other hotels. Staff members were very nice and helpful. Other than parking I loved this hotel.

Price was ok in comparison to other hotels in the area. For a cheaper price ( I but not my husband) may consider staying again as we plan to use our seaworld passes a few more time this season,

Parking was for lack of a better word HORRIBLE. Should advertised Limited on-site Free parking. Off site Free parking 1 block away. I were instructed by the night clerk about parking. I was more confused when I walked out to explain to my husband. I went back and asked again THEN he gave me a map. HaHa found it with no problem.
This is we're horrible came in:
It was down about a block...
You have to go down a narrow narrow alley between 2 buildings.
Go almost to the back along a fence line.
We came in after 10pm if I had been alone there is no way I would have felt remotely safe parking and walking back. Hubby was livid he wanted to leave I told him no its the last night. He said there is no way HE would stay again.
SUGGESTION
I saw security patrolling on foot. Would be helpful to purchase a golf cart for him to make patrol and offer a ride back to the hotel to guest who are unfortunate enough to have to park offsite. All he would need is a walkie talkie radio to be notified of guest needing a ride. Small price to pay for patrons safety.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy that you loved the property and the staff, and we're looking so forward to having you back real soon. I apologize that the parking turned out to be confusing. The downtown area is challenged with limited space for parking lots on the premises...all hotels have to deal with this. But unlike other hotels that charge up to $35 a night for self-park or valet parking, often either one of those is in a big block parking lot. What we have chosen to do is offer this much desired amenity for FREE. We are a small property and often the 40+ spaces are adequate, but we rent a lot from the city (the building you referred to is an actual city building with on-site security), and although we rent the additional spaces we do not pass the expense to our guests.

I can assure you that St. Paul Square is one of the safest districts in San Antonio, with its' own security force managed by a retired SA Police Officer; those were the guys you saw walking around. Anytime a guest feels more comfortable to have an escort we ask the boys/girls in uniform to take a walk with the guest to any spots in the neighborhood...this is more for your comfort rather than a need for security. I completely understand the concerns of coming into a new city and not knowing what to expect, but you chose the right area to bunk up for the night and we are so happy that we were a part of your journey to San Antonio. See you back soon, we hope..
Austin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My girlfriends had been asking me to go to San Antonio for a "girls" get away, I had been apprehensive about going I do not care for the big hotels that smell like smoke and mask the smell with heavy perfume spray. I also did not really want to stay on the Riverwalk. This all changed when I stayed at this location in the historic district in SA. The hotle was smaller, smoke free and the lobby was remodeled from an existing older building. It was so pleasent walking into the hotel, staff was friendly and the ice cold water with fresh orange wedges, was a very nice touch! I have now changed my mind and will difenitely go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Aren't you glad you listened to your girlfriends, LOL? We are so happy to have made an impact on your future decisions when looking for travel accommodations, and by sharing your review on Tripadvisor you have done the same for other visitors to our beautiful City. We want everyone to take advantage of the hospitality our staff members display each day...we look so forward to seeing you again real soon. Best regards from all of us at the Best Western Plus Sunset Suites Riverwalk.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We returned yesterday from a two-night stay here. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We specifically requested the 4th floor to ensure peace, and I am very glad we did. Friday night was a disaster with kids running up and down the hall screaming and slamming doors. Thursday night was absolute solitude. I always bring a white noise machine, and I'm glad I did. Didn't hear a peep on Thursday. Won't blame management for parents who allow their kids to run wild in the middle of the night.

We knew there was no pool before we booked, and that worked out fine for our family. We spent our trip at SeaWorld and the water park, Aquatica, so we were watered-out by the time we got back to our hotel. I think it made for more of a business traveler atmosphere in the hotel, which was fine with us.

Heard about the low lighting in the rooms, so I brought a box of lightbulbs. Solved that problem quickly. We had a short 15-minute drive to SeaWorld, and it was nice to have a hotel just across from the River Walk.

The room: Heard about the huge king suites and how oversized they were. DIdn't feel they were much larger than your average king suite in most nicer chain hotels. Wasn't 'huge' by any means, but roomy enough for a King bed and a queen pull-out. Nice, cold room. Got it down as cool as 63 degrees, and really loved the temperature. (Also could be set a lot warmer if 63 was too cool for you).

Bed was great. Brought our own pillows after seeing the reviews on here. Glad we did! They were more of the 12 x 12 decorator pillows than actual sleeping pillows. 6-year-old slept on the pull-out, which had a very thin mattress that you could feel the springs through. She was fine, but I would think an adult would have a hard time sleeping on that bed. The cleaning people stripped the bed of top sheet and blanket when they cleaned the room, which was annoying just for the fact that it was the end of a long day and the last thing I wanted to do was make a bed. But, hey, if that's my only complaint about housekeeping (and it was), I was very happy.

We got the very last parking spot at 6:00 on Friday evening, which made me realize a lot of people were going to be unhappy having to walk a block after parking at the overflow lot. However, that said, I was very grateful for free parking that we enjoyed both nights of our trip in San Antonio. Last year, we paid $25 a night to park in a garage that was dark and scary. I'm happy we had free parking. We were 2 blocks from the Riverwalk and an entrance to the Rivercenter Mall. Just down the street from the hotel is Ruth's Chris Steak House.

We really liked the breakfast buffet, and for the first time ever, our 6-year-old loved waffles. We had waffles both day, along with sausage, scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt, cereal, and juices. I wasn't a big fan of the watery sausage gravy with biscuits. Otherwise, it was very nice to have the convenience of a free, hot breakfast. Eat and be on your way for your busy day.

Overall an excellent stay. Our room was very clean, very quiet. We enjoyed watching the Tower of Americas across from the hotel and observing the outside elevator going up and down the building.

Highly recommend the hotel. The staff are all very nice and very accommodating. Close to where you need to go.

Room Tip: Make sure you realize there is no pool at this hotel before booking with children. We spent all day...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
What a fantastically detailed review. Thank you for your feedback. I will need to read it a few more times to make sure we have all the points covered...but I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon.
Pine Bluff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 night stay! The hotel exceeded my expectations and I will definitely stay here again if I'm in the area. The location was good...a 2 block walk to the Riverwalk. The only complaint that I will note is that the pillows on the bed were not the most comfortable, they were too small and too firm. Parking was free; however, the lot was small. There was an overflow lot less than a block away, which was just a minor inconvenience. Overall, our experience was a pleasant one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the feedback. Glad we lived up to expectations. Do come back and see us again very soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk? Share your experiences!