“I liked it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1103 East Commerce Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #27 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Frankfurt, Germany
“I liked it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Very nice lobby and friendly reception. Very large room with fridge, coffeemaker and microwave. Very large and clean room. Bathroom also very nice and clean.
Nice breakfast selection with everything I 'needed'. Joghurt and fresh fruit was available.

Short walk to the famous 'River walk'.

Only down side: Close to the tracks, every once in a while you can hear a trainwhistle.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will be sure to share your compliments with our housekeeping staff, they work very hard and do an incredible job...The solid oak mission-style furniture gives a great old era feeling to the rooms, but it's the staff that really brings out the beauty of our property. I have to say the train whistle is VERY UNUSUAL...about 5 years ago one of the wealthiest developers in the Country built a high priced condominium across the street from our property (the Vidorra, I'm sure you saw it). Well with a lot of politicking he was able to stop the train whistles in our area of town, when the rest of the City is still being traversed by multitudes of these noisy creatures :). Anyway, so glad you enjoyed your visit in San Antonio. Hope to see you back soon and we'll keep our eyes and ears open for that rogue train.

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The location is downtown within walking distance of the Riverwalk, Hemisphere Tower, and Alamo Dome. The decor was updated and clean. Special attention has been paid to the details of the room ie. the towels are shaped into little fans, there is a wet bar, full sized ironing board, beautiful drapes, small couch, mouthwash, toiletries ect. The room smelled clean unlike most where it smells like "hotel air freshener". The breakfast was nice and there are ladies there to assist you. Did have a few issues; the in room coffee mugs had someone else's old coffee dried at the bottom, even with all of the lights on the room it was still very dark, and I was charged twice for 1 night's stay; the first time $94 and the second $118. It's been 9 days and the matter is still unresolved, but they have been really nice and helpful. I'm confident it will be resolved soon. I would stay again...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
So glad you enjoyed your stay...I do apologize for the incorrect billing, I know it has now been fixed. Any other issues please call me directly and I will be happy to attend to them in person and quickly. Hope to see you back real soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

a number of years back, before the days of consumer review sites, we stayed at a Best Western or 2 but was never impressed enough to make staying at their properties a regular occurance. Well that all changed with our stay here. We enrolled in their returning guest program with plans to deliberately look for their properties in other cities we choose to visit. Rooms were HUGE and beautifully decorated with comfortable beds ,pillows and bedding. They were the only downtown/ Riverwalk area property that did not charge for parking which was a HUGE money saver. The hot breakfast had a wide array of both hot and cold foods and it too was complimentary. They even had stainless steel silverware and ceramic plates to use but did lay out plastic utensils if you wanted them. Nice "green" move! The shower was STRONG with immediately hot eater. I emphasize this because this has been a frequent "concern" we have had in staying at other properties so this stood out. The staff were knowledgeable ,helpful and cheerful. This seemed genuine , not put on. The location was VERY convenient, only 2 to 3 blocks from the RiverCenter Mall along with the steps leading down to the RiverWalk. We never moved our car until we checked out and we were there for 2 nights! There was no need to. Everything was right there, within walking distance and there was an extremely safe feeling to the area. There are interior corridors rather than door drive-up . There were only 2 "concerns" we had but take note, neither led me to downgrade the property. First, there was a slight "phantom" toilet. By that I mean, the toilet would sound as thpugh it was flushing without being flushed but this did not impede our sleep. The second was the guests above us were heavy footed. I suspect there were kids, maybe one with ADD because they would pace and/ or run at night and start early in the AM. We could have requested a room change. Don't know if one was available but we had unloaded everything and it would have been a big intrusion into our plans to do that. Again, this did NOT affect our view of the property but if I had to do it again, I'd probably stay on the upper floor . Truly enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Stay on upper floor to avoid the overhead noise of guests.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
That is wonderful news, we're glad we were able to win your belief in Best Westerns as a great place to stay...Did you know that Best Westerns used to be called "Great Western" hotels at their conception? Then as they evolved and went national, then international, the name changed...so we're happy to have lived up to the original "Great" name of our forefathers.

Your feedback hit every wonderful point of our property and it will help other travelers in the future (as you said before the time of customer review sites...now everyone can benefit from your feedback). Please take advantage of the BW Rewards Points and earn those free nights with every stay...see you back soon.
PRESTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in September and it was one of the best Best Westerns we have stayed in and we have visited about 10 states. It was perfectly located for the riverwalk ,the Alamo and downtown area which meant that we didn't need to use the car at all during our stay.
All of the staff were courteous and helpful and the room was exceptionally clean modern and spacious. The icing on the cake was the breakfast, plenty of choice in items both hot and cold and a lovely dining area in which to eat it. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. We're glad you took advantage of the free parking and took to the streets and sights of San Antonio on foot, it's a beautiful city to visit and being right within walking distance is perfect...I take advantage of the walk to the Rivercenter Mall daily for lunch, good excuse to get great food and some exercise at the same time :). We look forward to seeing you back at the "Best" Best Western Ever :); sorry, I like to hear that again and again. I will share your feedback with our employees, they will be overjoyed.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have stayed at this Best Western numerous times for business and and I have always enjoyed my stay. The rooms are spacious and always clean. The bathroom is always spotless and the shower head actually has a good amount of water pressure as well (this is always a pet peeve of mine). The hotel employees always treat you like a guest and are willing to help you when requested. The hotel is a short walk to the Riverwalk ( 5-6 blocks) or you can easily get the bus or a cab to the Riverwalk. Parking is a bit limited and you must cross a feeder road to get from their main parking lot to the hotel if you dont get there early enough to grab a front space. For the money, this is one of the best values in San Antonio.

Room Tip: Avoid a ground floor room.... road noise and rowdy bar patrons might wake you up
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
It is always wonderful to hear from our loyal clients...thank you so much for taking the time to let everyone know about the little gem in downtown San Antonio :)...I hope you are a Best Western Rewards Member, racking up those points; if not, allow the Front Desk Staff to sign you up on the next visit.

Thank you again...you know where we live so see you soon :).
Grand Prairie, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I found this hotel to be very comfortable and ideally located in downtown San Antonio. The hotel is a historical building; a speakeasy back in the day and charming. The staff personnel were very friendly and accommodating. A wonderful breakfast included in the price was provided. We are definitely staying here on our next visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the feedback and we do look forward to seeing you again soon. We're glad the Staff shared a bit of the property's history with you, the Speak-Easy is so unique, I love telling people about it: :). The short walk to the River Walk, blocks form all the sites and the free parking are perfect, right?

See you back real soon.
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as we were attending a concert in San Antonio. We choose this place based on the reviews and its proximity to the Riverwalk area.

Check it was quick and easy. I was able to get everything loaded in without much trouble. The look of this hotel is great. Everything on the inside is clean and nice. There is only one elevator. Wasn’t a big issue but once in a while you did have to wait a couple of minutes. I found it quicker to take stairs sometimes.

We had a nice room on the third floor. It overlooked the parking lot. There wasn’t much of a view but you could see the high-rise condos across the street and the parking/bus area. Across the road from the hotel is a bus stop so buses are constantly coming through there. The nice thing is if you want to catch a bus you just have to cross the street.

The room was nice. It had a large king bed, couch with pull out bed, coffee table, chair to sit in, desk with chair, microwave and fridge. The bathroom was not huge but worked okay. The room itself had plenty of room. I was impressed at the size of the room. This was more of a suite. The room had a coffee maker and the bathroom had a hair dryer. There was also plenty of space for hanging your clothes.

One nice thing was when I first entered the room there was a small basket on the counter with a letter that had my name written on it. It contained a welcome letter. Also in the basket was a bottle of water and a bag of Doritos. It was a nice semi-personal touch that I rarely find at other hotels.

One issue I had was that the keycards for the door took about 4 – 8 tries before the door would open. Not sure if it was the cards or the reader, but I would usually try one a few times and then switch to the other and eventually it would work. I could never come up with a definite pattern that always worked. I didn’t complain about it since it always worked after a few tries, but it was aggravating.

The third floor had an ice machine that was near our room. It always worked and had plenty of ice.

They had breakfast each morning, but my wife and I are on a special diet so we never did check it out.

The room did not have a flat screen TV. It was still the old kind (about 30” size). This was fine for us.

The bed slept well and the bed linens were nice. It felt more like a luxury hotel.

The shower pressure was almost too much. The water actually stung your skin at first until you got used to it. I love good water pressure, but this was almost too much. There was no way to adjust it so one thing to keep in mind.

The internet at this hotel was awesome. It never dropped and was quite fast for hotel internet. If you need a good internet connection then I certainly recommend this place. Access was free and we had no problems using two laptops on the Wi-Fi.

The A/C worked well. It was no problem keeping the large room cool.

The parking is an issue at this hotel. The lot at the hotel only has maybe 20 – 30 spaces. People were parking along the street and even in the fire lane at times. The overflow parking is about 2 blocks down the street behind some of the other buildings. They have maybe 30+ spaces there. We had to park there most of the time since the lot at the hotel remained full most of the time. It wasn’t a bad walk to the remote lot, but it would feel a little bit creepy at night. We had no issues there other than on Saturday evening we were approached by a younger person asking for money. It was the only time during our 3 day stay. Otherwise walking back and forth to the remote lot was not an issue. One day we did have a lot of rain and the remote lot had some “flooded” areas . There were big pools of water on either side of our car so it made it difficult to get back into the car.

This hotel is near St Paul’s square. There they had some shops and restaurants. We did not visit any of these but I remember a Ruth’s Chris steakhouse was on the corner and they had a couple of other restaurants all within the same block as the hotel.

To get to the Riverwalk area you had to walk under the Interstate bridge and go about 4 or maybe 5 blocks down the street. Not a big deal but could be for some. Be sure to check out the bridge at night…they have lights underneath that change colors. Since it is free to park at the hotel we left our car there and just walked to the Riverwalk area in order to save on parking costs and transportation. It worked out well. We were able to tour the Rivewalk area, see the Alamo, and visit the surrounding shops, etc. The Best Western was cheaper than those hotels right on the Riverwalk so it was great for price and location without being that far away.

This hotel is right off of the interstate as well. The exit is almost right out of the parking lot, but it’s a one-way street so you have to circle the block to get back on the interstate. Still it makes it easy to hop on and off if you want to drive to other parts of the city.

We had express checkout so our bill was placed under our door on the day we left. We just left our key cards in the room and left. It was painless.

I would certainly go back to this hotel again if ever in the area.

Room Tip: Room 311 was on the back side of the property so less road traffic.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
What a wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed review of our property and downtown San Antonio, it is so helpful to future travelers...very thoughtful. Thank you for the great compliments and we're happy you enjoyed your visit with us and the beautiful San Antonio. We will check the key card reader in 311, and new flat screens TVs are on the way. The FREE downtown parking has been a popular amenity with many travelers and we're always looking for better options on over-flow parking so we'll continue to provide a safe and enjoyable travel environment for our guests. Glad you enjoyed the welcome basket :). See you again soon, I hope.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk? Share your experiences!