“Quiet, convenient, free parking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1103 East Commerce Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #23 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Quiet, convenient, free parking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This hotel was great for a weekend getaway!! It's a well lit two block walk to access the Riverwalk at Rivercenter. Very quiet, huge room, A/C works great, very comfortable bed (if you like firm). The water pressure in the shower is phenomenal, the showerhead is fantastic. The lobby is very nice, breakfast has a great selection. On-site parking lot is small (~20 spaces), but off-site parking is only a block away in a relatively secure city parking lot. I never saw any seedy looking folks milling about, no broken windows or such. Would highly recommend and will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Our room faced the parking lot. Rooms that face the street probably have more noise to deal with. Wa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for your kind words, your feedback helps future travelers select their best vacation packages. We're glad you enjoyed the freshly prepared breakfast (chef on premises, not warmed up packaged foods). The two block walk to the River Walk and River Center Mall IS FANTASTIC, I take that quick walk for lunch everyday and it reminds me of how much I love working in downtown San Antonio. We're glad we could be a part of your weekend getaway and hope you'll be back for a longer stay real soon.

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We never stayed at a best western before. But when I read the reviews and saw the photos thought what the heck. And I was glad we did!!! Big rooms and CLEAN. But no pool. We had no time got that. But if you have kids I would want one. Nice breakfast on the morning. And the shower is better then my home shower head. GREAT WATER PRESSER.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for giving Best Westerns a shot, I'm glad we could be a good representative for the brand...you can never go wrong if you listen to travelers on TripAdvisor, definitely a trustworthy site that is written and edited by travelers such as yourself. We appreciate your kind words and hope to see you back soon. And remember to keep writing :).
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We just came back from a 4 night stay at this hotel. I loved our room and the furniture. The bed was great. I loved loved the breakfast. Staff to include front desk, kitchen, housekeeping to engineers were so helpful. Breakfast and parking is free (a plus for sure) and its about 4 short blocks to river walk. We walked at night and i loved the lighting under bridge. Made us feel safe. I spent about one month searching for a hotel near river walk with free breakfast and parking AND that was nice enough and we found it. I would stay here again. Thank you for the nice experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for allowing us to serve you. Yes, it's rare to find a great hotel that offers free parking in downtown San Antonio. Thank you for covering all the points; the close proximity to the River Walk, the lighting of the bridge (tuned in to music and special effects), the safety of the area around St. Paul Square District and of-course our beautifully decorated rooms with Solid Oak Mission-styled Furnishings...couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you back soon, we hope.
DFW Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel and we have already booked our next stay!
We have enjoyed this hotel, it has a unique history, wonderful lobby, hugh snack bar and nice lounge area. Our rooms have been clean and quiet with a very nice breakfast as well.We highly recommend this hotel to family and friends traveling to San Antonio

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We are looking forward to your return trip. Thank you for your wonderful comments and loyalty to our property. We are very proud of the Hotel and Staff, and hopefully it shows in our presentation. See you soon.
Mount Vernon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just returned home from a 3 night stay. I loved our room with its mission style furniture. It was super clean and quiet. We were on the 4th floor in the back and never heard a sound from outside. We never even heard any slamming doors or people running in the hallway, which seems to happen everywhere else we have stayed. The public areas are nice, with the same mission style furniture and everything was so clean it gleamed. The St Paul's Square area was nice and felt very safe. We didn't have an issue with parking, and we were in and out a lot. All the hotel staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The shower was fantastic! I read a few reviews that said the beds were too soft (?) but ours was hard as a rock. That would be my only complaint and that wasn't even enough to really complain about. I slept better there than I do at home! All in all, I thought it was wonderful and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. It looks like we got pretty much everything right...we do love our Staff and obviously our GUESTS :). The beds are brand new, so no more soft beds...our executive housekeeper has been with the property since it opened some 12 or so years ago and we are proud of the the numerous Quality Awards she has received. Enough about us...we appreciate your business very much and always look forward to return visits form our guests. Glad you enjoyed the historic value of the property and area; St. Paul Square District is one of the earliest settlements in San Antonio, very Historic and Very Safe. See you soon, we hope.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay at the Best Western Sunset Suites. The outside of the hotel isn't very impressive and it is right off a major highway and intersection, but as soon as we walked inside we were greeted by a very friendly staff and a large, nicely decorated lobby. The staff was very friendly throughout our stay and the hotel was clean. Our room was big and the bed was very comfortable. The AC worked great, which is a huge plus after running around in the hot San Antonio sun all day. I am a rewards member so I have stayed at several BW hotels. I actually like this one better than the Premier that we stayed at once. My only complaint....which is the same at every BW are the pillows. They are too puffy and square.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
bestwesternsunset, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback...it's great to get such high accolades from a Senior Reviewer. We do take great pride in our property, its' historic values represented in the photos on our lobby walls (by the way, that's all original brass ceilings, hardwood floors and original brickwork). The main building that houses the guest rooms was actually build a decade or so ago but still keeps with the decor to match the main buildings historical past dating back to the late 1890"s. Our Housekeeping Staff is incredible and we spend a lot of time training our Staff to keep with the best in the Hospitality Industry. Sorry, I can go on, but I get excited about our property :). So let's just say we'd love to see you back soon, and on your next visit make sure you ask the Staff for a tour of the remnants of a 1920's "speak-easy" in our basement, where the likes of Louis Armstrong used to play.
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the night of 7/28/12 in Rm. 210 to be close to a formal banquet, and to get away for a night.

The location is fairly convenient - within walking distance of the scene at St. Paul's Square, Rivercenter, and the Riverwalk.

The rooms were clean, and large, if a bit narrow. The bathroom was clean, and while not fancy, was functional - more so than other nicer bathrooms, namely the bath/shower which had shelves for personal bath products.

The free breakfast was decent and adequate - standard continental fare plus hot items - make-yourself waffles, scrambled eggs, and breakfast sausages.

The bed was comfortable enough, and the A/C worked well, but I got a horrible night's sleep. First, the street traffic was quite loud - lots of loud Harley's seemed to be on the streets all evening. I don't hold that against the hotel - being from the area, I knew that this was a possibilty.

What I do hold against the hotel are the tiny (and too few) pillows on the king-sized bed - I just could not get comfortable, and the pillows offered were the same as I've received at other, more common BW hotels - I was expecting a bit more in that regard considering the price.

The decor is nice, and appropriate for the hotel theme, but the lighting in the room was dark - even with all the lights going. The lamps and light fixtures are what I'd call "Western Tiffany-style", with amber-glass lampshade panels which don't provide too much light.

There is only one elevator, and it tends to be a bit slow.

Parking - if you are fortunate enough to get a space in their tiny parking lot - DON'T MOVE YOUR CAR! You likely will not be able to park there again. Try and walk to your eatery, if possible. The hotel does offer overflow parking about a block to block and a half away, down a narrow and poorly-lit alley to a poorly-lit parking lot. I was a bit nervous for my personal safety getting to and from that lot, and worried my car would be broken into. Luckily, there were no problems with that. There are city employees parked on portions of that lot, which is generally better lit, and has people coming and going, to hopefully deter any would-be thieves.

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, if you have no problems with what I've detailed above. Woud I stay here again? Probably not, especially given the near $175/night with room + taxes, and the issues faced.

Room Tip: Try rooms on the north side of the building - not fronting Commerce Street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for letting us know how we performed during your stay. I just had an opportunity to respond to another guest review and the overflow parking being the subject of discussion I wanted to reiterate the value of the free parking offered by the property and emphasize the safety aspects of the over-flow lot... The property is located in St. Paul Square District, one of the most historic, valuable and best looked after regions of downtown San Antonio...this small district went thru a huge revitalization aided by one of the country's richest developers, building several hotels and high-end condominiums in a one square mile area around the original Sunset Station Train Depot...it has its' own security detail managed by one of San Antonio's "top" retired police officers. The overflow lot, additional spaces beyond our own on-site parking, are secured thru a special paid arrangement with the city. This lot is leased by us and has it's own security since it belongs to city employees and although we pay a monthly fee for its' use we do not pass any of that along to our guests. So, hopefully your next visit will continue to be just as enjoyable as this one, plus you'll be completely worry-free, we hope.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Suites-Riverwalk? Share your experiences!