“Nice hotel, friendly staff, will stay again” 4 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #144 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
houston
“Nice hotel, friendly staff, will stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I booked this hotel for 2 rooms - 3 nights on priceline - name your own price and paid $50/night so we saved about $300-400! Nice hotel, friendly staff, not close to the main riverwalk area of San Antonio, but about 5 min drive. No frills and not 5 stars but then again, we only used the room for changing and sleeping, so no big deal.

Parking is $15/night per car. We'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

This hotel was well worth the price. I think the bad reviews are from very picky people. The staff was great and changed my room to a lower floor due to my fear of heights. It was nice and clean. THe pool was nice. The restaurant was not overpriced, in fact the food was better there than at an expensive eating place on the Riverwalk. ( Take the fish with the salsa. ) You can sit out and eat on the patio in the evening. The kids ate free at least one meal a day. And yes, you do have to walk about 20 minutes to get to the main Riverwalk area, but it was scenic and peaceful. It was not a strenuous ordeal, and I had 3 kids with me. Take the boat ride back if you don't like excercise. I would definitely stay here again.

J. Soileau

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Rockford, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

As a Priority Club member, I booked a three-night stay. Upon arrival, around 10:00 pm, I was assigned the requested king room. I told the night desk clerk I needed a quiet room, and she assured me I had one. Not possible, given that the room was immediately adjacent to the elevator shaft, a fact she must have known.

When I walked into the room, the smell of mildew blowing from the antiquated ceiling-mounted air conditioner was overpowering. And the headboard of the bed was attached to the elevator shaft common wall. I immediately called the night desk clerk, advised her as to why the room was not satisfactory, and was told that it was the only room available in the hotel. Between the mildew smell, the cough it induced and the elevator noise, I got little sleep.

Tthe next morning, the day desk clerk asked why I was checking out two days early and had not even used my breakfast coupon. I told her. She apologized profusely for the condition of the room and the conduct of the night desk clerk, wondered aloud why I had not been assigned another room because one was apparently available, and said I would not be charged. I thanked her. Nevertheless, upon arrival home, I found the full charge for the wretched night's stay posted to my credit card account.

I can't believe this hotel is rated 12 out of over 300 in the San Antonio area. There are a lot of good hotels in downtown San Antonio. This, however, is not one of them.

I moved over to the Omni La Mansion for the last two nights, and a had a great stay. Right on the Riverwalk, extraordinarily courteous staff, and quiet as a tomb.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Waco,TX.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Recently spent a 3 day weekend in San Antonio. Had a great time and the hotel was a big part of a pleasant stay. Good location, good food, great band in the bar, and friendly staff. Jim B

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

My mom and I went for Spring Break for 5 days. I must say I am the one that booked it and my mom was a little worried because the price to stay was so cheap. You do have to pay for parking at the hotel...but we didn't mind at all. We abolutely loved our stay at this hotel. Great service! The staff is SO nice, welcoming, friendly, at your service at all times. Any questions about walking directions or sight seeing they are there for you....such a help! The rooms were a nice size, clean, comfortable! The pool was very nice, on top of the roof so you can catch some sun if your there in a sunny season! This hotel is very family oriented...very nice. They showed movies almost every night at the pool. You can even watch the movies from your room! (Disney movies, etc.) There restraunt in the hotel is pretty good. Location I'd say was perfect for us...yes we had to walk a possible 5-8 minutes to get to the River Walk...but the staff really helped give us faster walking directions. It didn't feel like it took long at all to get to the River Walk. Also if you would like to keep a work out while your on vaction there fitness room is very nice!!!

When we go back to SA we are staying here! =]

• Stayed March 2009
Byrdstown, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Check in on 8/12/2009 for a three night stay overlooking the Riverwalk for the purpose of sightseeing the Riverwalk and surrounding area. Our room was the size of a very small hospital room which was located 150 steps (150 yds) from the nearest elevator on the 3rd floor. Since my wife had had hip replacement surgery it was necessary for me to use a wheel chair from the motel to initially get her to the room. Upon my complaining, the staff offered two other rooms which I checked. They both contained old furniture with either a view of the front street or pool area and rooftops! One half of our first day in San Antonio was spent looking for other suitable accomodations. We subsequently checked into the Holiday Inn, on St. Mary's Street on 8/13/2009 which provided excellent accomodations for the remainder of our stay. As a Priority Club member, this was a very unsatisfactory reservation!!!

bkreed.1@multipro.com

Waco,Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

Nineteen of us, along with our wives, did a golf outing in San Antonio and stayed at the Tropicana. Their rooms and service were impecable and the manager helped us with local golf courses and directions and the bar was fantastic that night...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!