“Awesome!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #143 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The staff is extremely friendly ANC helpful, the rooms are nice and clean. I loved all the tropical plants in the lobby area! The pool is also very enjoyable I would say the only negative was the smell by the pool and the fact that you have to
Pay for parking. Aside from that I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2013

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were there a week ago for two nights. Cindy, at the front desk, was charming, hospitable, and eager to ensure that we would enjoy a comfortable stay. We did. The hotel is early 1960's "funky," as are we, and sitting in the spacious lobby area and outdoor terrace adjacent to the coffee bar brought back many happy memories of our first visits to San Antonio in our "salad days." Yes, it is a 60's hotel; therefore, the rooms are small as are the bathrooms, but the windows can be opened (just like in good old days). The "love" birds in the far end of the lobby were charming and "frisky" (love birds after all). The trolley stops directly in front of the hotel and the water taxi is available just a few steps down on the River Walk. The buffet breakfast was good, and it was enhanced by the very efficient wait staff.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Terrible!! The room smelled like dog i wouldn't had even walked bare foot in there. Bad location. No restaurants in the riverwalk within walking distance. I was afraid to even go look at what the restroom looked like. It is not like the pics whatsoever. I would not recommend this hotel. They refunded my money back good thing. For two nights $605 not worth it.

• Stayed March 2014
Tim R, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
I'm sorry you had a bad first impression of the hotel. Although we are pet friendly we shampoo a pet room after every check out. Unfortunately this appears not to have happened with your room. We are not in the heart of the Riverwalk but rather on Museum Reach which puts us equidistant between the main Horseshoe of the traditional Riverwalk and Pearl Brewery and its wonderful collection of restaurants and shops.
I apologize if you feel we are misleading about our location. I hope though that you were able to enjoy our wonderful city.
dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

First, we arrived at 3:00 only to be told that our room would not be ready until 4:00. At 4:00 we were told that our room would not be already until 5:30.We decided to go eat dinner while we waited. We asked if we could lock up our bags and if they could be brought up to our rooms once they were ready. They said they would "try". What does that even mean? TRY? Ok. When we finally got back and found our room it smelled so badly of mildew that we had to ask for a different room. Our window would not even open to let in any fresh air. After another hour we were told we would get a new room near our friends who were in an adjoining room (which also smelled.) We were moved ACROSS THE HOTEL. The next room did not smell as bad and it had a small balcony that overlooked a roof. It was an improvement. The room was filthy, however. I was afraid to remove my shoes.
That night while we slept, our friends who were still in their old room that had adjoined ours had trouble sleeping because their room smelled so badly. Then their bathtub did not drain after one shower and they had 3 more people who needed to bathe so they complained to the front desk and were promised that we would all would be upgraded to "Executive Suites" on the 9th floor. We went to Sea World during the day and returned to find that we had not all been moved to executive suites but to similar rooms as our original ones on the same floor that we had just been on. While at the front desk waiting for our new keys, there was a couple checking in at 6:30 at night who were being told their room would not be ready for another hour. What kind of hotel makes you wait until 7:30 to check in? There were no apologies, not even a snack or dining voucher while they waited. They were simply told that they could use the bathrooms in the lobby if they needed to.

They make a big deal about their snack bar downstairs. that has drinks and food. I asked if they had wine and was told they sell bottles - no glasses of wine. So I asked for a bottle and was told they were out. A few hours later I asked for a smoothie and was told they were out. Ridiculous. They had some stale cookies though. Plenty of those.

Also - they don't tell you this but they charge $18 for parking. And yes, it is technically on the river walk but on the end that has nothing on it - no restaurants or shops or anything. It's on the river but it may as well be the Mississippi for all it matters.

The hotel is poorly maintained and they clearly do not have enough staff to clean the rooms.Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: We saw 5 rooms here and all of them were dodgy at best.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
I apologize that you were not satisfied with your recent stay with us. I have personally gone into the 4 rooms and one suite, rms 357,359,349,316,318 and was unable to detect the issues you encountered but as an older building I can say that the issue does crop up on occasion so I'm sorry it was the case during your stay. Adjoining rooms are a difficult request particularly during a busy Spring Break period so that is why you were moved across the building because that is what was available and adjoining at that time.

Regardless, our goal is for our guests to have a wonderful experience at our historic hotel and it appears we fell significantly short during your stay. Should you choose to come back please contact me directly and I will ensure a wonderful stay in San Antonio.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at El Tropicano recently when visiting colleges for my daughter. It was a great bargain, very comfortable, and the breakfasts were nice. I especially enjoyed the fitness center as it contains lots of equipment and has very nice private shower facilities. On Sunday morning my daughter took a walk along the river walk, which is situated immediately behind the hotel. It was awesome! Lastly, I left a valuable (monetarily and in sentimentality) charm bracelet in the room when I left. I thought that I would never see it again… Their wonderful staff had turned it in and it was quickly FEDEX’d to my home. Great experience all around!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us. Museum Reach is the perfect area to take a walk and take in the newest part of the Riverwalk. I am glad you are back in possession of your bracelet, our housekeepers are the best!
Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

For a simple hotel that was a decent price and a very good location this place did the job. If I were to stay longer I would want thicker walls as I could hear everybody in the rooms around us. It is basic but you can't beat being able to walk across the street and be on the river walk for a price less than $100.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
As a senior contributor to Trip Advisor I always put alot of stock in your feedback. Thank you for telling me about your experience and I am glad you were able to enjoy beautiful Museum reach area of the Riverwalk.
Best, Tim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Wall were a little thin but the rooms were very comfortable. Great breakfast! Need to fix the pool heater and need more parking but other than that it was a great hotel! We would stay here again! Great value for your stay!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel but I apologize the pool heater was not working. We were in the process of running new plumbing to the pool and the good news is that project has been completed and the pool feels great. Let me know when you are returning so I can get you a special rate due to the inconvenience.