“Clean, good service, not close to most of the action” 3 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #142 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
usa
“Clean, good service, not close to most of the action”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The room was large ( handicapped room) with a fridge and microwave in a separate area. Large sliding glass doors opened to a small balcony overlooking the pool. The pool area was large, clean and attractive. Unfortunately it was unusable - freezing (trust me I have plunged into a river in the winter). There was a place to sit outside overlooking the river - but it is nowhere near the main attractions of the riverwalk. That is a 15 to 20 minute walk. Nearby is the beautiful Art school - the former Ursaline Academy. If you have time it is a few minutes walk to the grounds, chapel and gallery. M through F the "Copper Kettle" is open for lunch.
The staff was terrific, the room was very clean, and the lobby spacious. The old style brightly colored phones were a treat. The conference room was well lit and comfortable - again the staff was attentive to our needs.
If you are coming in from the airport take a cab. For an extra $5 ( above the price of the GO shuttle) it is worth a shorter more comfortable trip.

Room Tip: High up, poolside was very nice with a balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

680 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
League City, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was happy with the room and everything else,staff was nice as well... was not Happy at all about the $18.00 parking fee that turned out to be $29.00 due to taxes and everything ... I doubt I will stay there again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Corunna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Right on the River Walk and a 10 to 15 minute walk downtown. Friendly staff. Clean and bright throughout the hotel. Housekeeping staff are pleasant and will do anything for you as would any of the staff here. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
rhinebeck,ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

My mom was visiting for Thanksgiving and as our home was under construction we felt she would be more comfortable in a hotel. She felt very safe and well taken care of at El Tropicana. I was much impressed by the cleanliness and modern feel to this lovely historical hotel. We were able to view the holiday flotilla at a restaurant within walking distance to El Trop (Ocho - a great place for a bite to eat or just for cocktails on the riverwalk). We also were able to walk from the hotel to go shopping downtown and for strolls on the riverwalk without having to fight for a parking space or drive downtown. This is a big plus about El Tropicana. I much preferred that my mom was not right in the center of the city. It was more relaxed to pick her up and drop her off without fighting crowds downtown - plus we were able to walk to the Pearl Complex where there are better restaurants and shops than downtown. My mom thought the breakfast at El Trop was quite good and a bargain. El Trop is now our preferred hotel to house guests visiting us in the great city of San Antonio! Peggy Howe

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
La Grange, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The room was small however, the hotel was clean and the staff were all very accommodating and friendly. Very good hospitality and lovely staff. We also loved the history that went along with this hotel and the amenities were good. The breakfast buffet was also a very good price and tasty. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel literally has a I Love Lucy Tropicana feel, but in a good way. It is obvious that the hotel has been updated (furniture, wallpaper, etc.). Our room overlooked the river walk. The room is small, but nice. Comfy bed. The young man that checked us in couldn't have been any nicer. The hotel does charge $18 per day, but the lot is convenient & safe.

Stayed November 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We decided at the spur of the moment to head to San Anotonio as an "extension" to our vacation (we were staying in a neighboring town). We found a Groupon special for the room for $54 and decided to go for it. We wanted to stay near the Riverwalk and this was advertised as a "Riverwalk hotel." Already, that part is misleading. Is it on the river? Yes. Is there anything NEAR it - absolutely not. It's either a long walk of several blocks or a taxi. We took the taxi down to Rivercenter (not too horribly expensive, just a hair over $5 before tip). The room is decent, a step above a Motel 6, but not too much more than that. They definitely embrace the retro feel of the hotel and look wise was no big deal. Parking, as most people have stated is $18 (and they'll initially charge you $20 on your card), which is a bit outrageous, but there aren't many options around there. The front desk was ok, but not exactly what I'd call "friendly." We were on the 6th floor on a "river view" room (trust me, not a ton of views anywhere to be had from there). They had a paper in the room talking about how the Rolling Stones stayed there in 1974 which seems to be their main claim to fame. The room was comfortable and all, but the biggest issue was once we got home. I woke up the next morning to see that my "incidentals" card was charged the room fee. Once again, we already paid for the room with the Groupon deal and they knew that (it was already in their system). I called them back to let them know and once I told them, I was forwarded to a voicemail. I called back and the front desk person (Sandra I believe?), said, "Oh, they might be on the other line, let me try another line." Once again, another voicemail. I called back yet again and talked to her. She seemed to could have cared less about any issues and told me, "I guess they are on lunch." I asked who the manager was. She told me "Jesse," but he's on lunch too and she is the supervisor. I told her this needed to be taken care of immediately because it's messing up my bank account (I only keep just what I need in that account). Once again, she seemed indifferent. Now I have to sit here and either play phone tag with their accounting department or spend even more time disputing the charge through the bank. For the little bit that we got from the stay, it is not worth the extra headache now from their lousy customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!