“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #142 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Christchurch, New Zealand
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is perfectly adequate if you want something that's close to the riverwalk and at a reasonable price. However, it's not close to the parts of the riverwalk that have the glitsy restaurants and shops but it's close enough if you don't mind walking about 15 minutes to get to those places and it's a very pleasant walk. The buffet breakfast is good and reasonably priced.The hotel itself is tired but the staff are efficient and pleasant. I'd be happy to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Reasonably clean rooms, fantastic gym, open WIFI with no silly login requirements (read Chromecast friendly). Has a nice pool and well decorated lobby. Staff was friendly. Hallways were dirty and could use a refresh, but hey, they got the important stuff covered.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Montgomery Heights, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel was clean, friendly staff and the Via Bus runs by the hotel. It is not on the main Riverwalk area. About 12 city blocks from The Alamo. Beware of the bar. The female bartender shorts you on the alcohol that goes in drinks. We ordered a double shot of scotch and she gave 1 and a half. We were charged many different prices for our drinks.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this if you are coming down to Lackland AFB because it is not near attractions...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there four nights, worst four nights ever, room retro fitted with cheap noise mini slip ac units that leak water, poor house cleaning, I thought I was some hotel in Mexico City. Loud poor area, until 3-4am. We tried different rooms, all were the same, musty and funky Oder. We read this was a swank place 20-30 years ago, hard to belive. They charged us three time on credit card and took over two weeks to resolve. Front desk are well seasoned in dealing with complaints. Never again

• Stayed August 2013
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is ok for the money. The room was renovated and we didn't have the issues with dirty linens or a rundown bathroom. The hallways are pretty sad and the whole layout is just plain odd. The pool is less than stellar and seems to be filled with rain water or hose water and the tiki bar is just sad. It is located on the Riverwalk but it's nowhere near any of the attractions so if you're planning on staying here and want to get downtown I'd suggest a bus pass for the trolley that runs by, they're cheap and run often.

We had an issue with housekeeping not closing our door all of the way after they serviced the room and returned to find it unlocked and open a crack and the entire hallway in front of our room smells like a Cheech and Chong reunion is happening. Management was good about the problem with housekeeping but I'm sure the smell of marijuana will be here to greet us again tomorrow. All in all, I'd not stay here again or suggest it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room with a river view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sauk Village, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was a guest at El Tropicano for only one night. In my opinion it was just a tad bit off the beaten path of the downtown area. Although the word Riverwalk is part of the hotel name, it is anything but right on the Riverwalk. If you want to actually visit the Riverwalk you have to walk about 15 minutes from the hotel, drive or take a taxi. A pathway to the Riverwalk is right outside the front door and across the street, but you'd better wear some comfortable walking shoes for the venture.

First thing I was not pleased about was the location and the cost of the parking lot. I travel alone or with my 74 year old mother quite often. As a woman, I like for the front door to be visible from the parking lot. When I arrived at the hotel, in the night, I was a bit leery having to walk from the parking lot located along the side of the building. In my opinion it is not the safest location for the lot, but being downtown what could they really do. If you don't have a room key you must walk around to the front door to access the lobby. Once you have a room key you are able to access the side door closest to the parking lot. However, the side door still isn't close enough. As I continue to talk about the parking lot, let me inform you that it has a hefty In/Out fee of $18.00 for the overnight parking. If you plan to stay at the hotel for more than one night make sure to add the parking fee in your budget.

Once I arrived inside the hotel I saw why it was called Tropicano. Although not completely of a tropical feel it did boast of tropical colors. The hotel lobby is somewhat modern with gleaming marble floors. The lobby is large with a bar and cafe in the lobby. Since I mentioned the cafe, I will say that I purchased a sandwich and salad and it was quite delicious and affordable. I was surprised at how reasonably priced the food items were at the cafe.

The hotel staff was friendly. When I arrived to the room I thought it to be okay, but had a great view. The room was updated, for the most part, but I found smudges of something on a couple of the walls. Not knowing what it was I dared not touch it. But being at El Tropicano for only one night, it was not worth complaining about. I liked that it had a balcony overlooking the pool. When I put my luggage down I immediately went to spend some time on the balcony. On the night I was there the Texas air made it very comfortable to sit outside for a bit. The bed was comfortable and I had a good nights sleep.

Overall I give the El Tropicano a thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Winter Haven,FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Lobby, tiki bar, service desk, where very clean and staffed with friendly helpful associates. Was given a room, that we couldn't hang our clothes without hanging on the floor. TV kept going off. Shower, the grout was either clacked or missing. Plus $18 a day to park. Not worth the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!