“Labor Day at the Tropicano” 5 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #140 of 347 hotels in San Antonio
Jacksonville, Alabama
“Labor Day at the Tropicano”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

When it comes to my repeated visits to the San Antonio area, this is usually the hotel I check for first. I love the location, not too close the the center of the downtown area, but on the riverwalk. I love the fact that I can board the Rio Taxi and ride down to the restaurants or I can walk if I prefer. I can, and I have walked to the Alamo. I love that I can purchase an all day bus pass at the front desk and board the bus (trolley) to other attractions (for instance the Institute of Texan Culture). The hotel is an older hotel, so if you are looking for perfection you probably aren't going to find it here (Elvis Pressley stayed here to give you an idea of it's age). I was checked in quickly. My room, this time, was pool view, a first for me, and quite noisy. But at prompty 11 all noise stopped. I wasn't particularly happy with the parking situation this time. Sometimes there is valet, other times not. I don't mind self park, in fact I prefer it, but I don't like the entrance to the parking lot being blocked when valet is on duty...this makes for a dangerous situation as you cant see it is blocked until it is too late. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have to option request Riverview rooms...they are just quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

628 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
kerrville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

After getting past the nightmare at ckin.....sent to an occupied room etc.....The hotel is nice and clean and a bargain with the Groupon I bought. North end of Riverwalk , not the touristy part which is nice when I am in town on business.
WIFI is not free with the groupon which is really unsual,,,wifi is free at all the SA area hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Decide to visit San Antonio for the river walk and found this place right on the river. It is nice place that has Tex-Mex feel to it. The location to the river walk where all the restaurants and shops are located is bit of a walk,15 Minutes at the most. Although it is situated away from the river walk it very quiet and peaceful where the Tropicano is located. The Staff are very friendly, willing to help you out and very efficient. The room we stayed in was facing the river and had a view that was okay, nothing to spectacular. It was clean and updated. Overall space in the room was in my opinion a little tight but it was manageable. There are a lot places on the hotel property that you can sit, have a drink and mingle which was nice. Yes I would stay here again if and when we do come back and visit San Antonio.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We traveled back in time to the 1950's! The lobby decor was bright and fun. The hotel staff was prompt, friendly, and very helpful. Check-in was a breeze. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The only disappointment was the room chairs -- only computer desk chairs were provided. I expected a comfortable club chair or equivalent. We recommend El Tropicano to other travelers.

Room Tip: A poolside view is perfect.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
El Paso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were there with a convention in August 2013. Parking is limited and 1,000 + convention goers made it worse, only two elevators too, Saturday morning checkout was a zoo. With th the staff was very accomodaing and took care of everyone with a big smile. Rooms were very nice and breakfast excellent

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ft Worth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent 4 days and 3 nights at the El Tropicano Riverwalk in San Anotnio over Labor Day weekend 2013. The facilities are clearly dated, although clean. The parking is cumbersome. Sometimes there is valet parking and sometimes there is not. When there is, they block the entrance to the parking lot with cones and it creates a huge traffic jam at the front of the hotel. The front desk staff was "disinterested" in helping you check in. The path to our room had been reserved with a priovate family reunion, a nd there was no way to ge to our room on check-in except to wheel the cart with all our suitcases through the pool area. The front room staff failed to mention this when we checked in and it caused us to wander around trying to find our room for some time. On Sunday, we left the room at 9:00 AM and toured San Antonio until 5:45 PM. After a scorching day in town, we were ready to relax in a cool room. Unfortunately, our room had still not been serviced at 5:45 when we arrived. That was very cumbersome. The staff offered to clean it then, but we wanted to USE the room at 6 PM, not wait to have it cleaned. The front desk staff was unfamiliar with many of the questions about directions to various downtown attractions on the several times we bothered to ask them, and hte hotel is about a 20 minute walk along the riverfront to the restaurants and business establishments on the River Walk. All in all.. it was.. OK.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I found this hotel on line. The photos looked beautiful. They said they are right on the river walk and the hotel had been recently updated..I also read they offered room servive and a restaurant.Well, I arrived very late, but had requested a room with a view of the river or the pool. They said they were very full but could give me a room with a pool view. Well my pool view turned out to be a view of a glass stairwell, no pool view. I asked if the bar or restaurant were open, no restaurant and bar was closed. I went to get ice for my room, ice machine was broken. I had to walk up one floor to get ice. In the room the desk light was unplugged, so I crawled around on the floor looking to find a place to plug it in. The bedside lamp shade was broken, and hanging on to the wire by a piece of tape. They advetise wifi hotel wide. Well I could get the wifi to work in my room. I called to notify them, and they just said said, well the system must be overloaded, maybe it can be fixed tomorrow. I literally had to go outside my room and sit on a neighbor patio chair to get a signal that worked. I asked for a room change, no rooms, when told about the ice machine they said they were aware and working on it. The restaurant turned out to be a morning only buffet breakfast, unappetizing to me, for $10. The bar does serve some food, chicken wings, etc, but closes by 10pm, never tried anything there. If I had not prepaid the room, I would have looked for another place to stay. Oh, yes, they are on the river walk, which is beautiful, but this hotel is quite a walk south of where all the shops, alamo, other attraction are located downtown. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!