“nasty hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #144 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
USA
“nasty hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

nasty, not very clean, noisy and you pay for everything including parking. I will never stay here again and I suggest you don't ever plan to stay here either. the hotel was old and needs updating real bad, you could hear every one walking in the halls, the carpets were dirty as could be.

Room Tip: dont consider staying here and you will be much better off
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ElTropicanoHotel, Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We're sorry we did not meet your expectations. Would it be possible for us to contact you regarding your stay? We would like to determine which room you stayed in so that we may investigate the issue further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was really great. Very clean and wonderful costumer service. It is a little farther away from the shops and restaurants than 'just off the Riverwalk' but it's a really nice walk along the river to get there (about 10 minutes, $5 cab ride). Neighborhood seemed very safe. Great pool area and buffet, late checkout until 2pm with no extra charge. Overall I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

El Tropicano is right on the River Walk in San Antonio, so unlike other hotels who claim to be close to the River Walk, this one really is 3 minutes stroll from it. The hotel has a decidedly retro feel to it and the rates are extremely reasonable given its very central location. The rooms are comfortable and it is possible to open the window if you don't want to use the AC. The corridors are a little tired and showing their age. The staff are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lublin, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked the hotel through Priceline but the deal was not as good as we usually get (for the price we had a 4* Sheraton in Dallas). As advised on TripAdvisor, I asked for an upgraded room and luckily got one. The room was small but comfortable, the bathroom was clean, and the bed was big and nice. We liked the location as it meant a little walking to see the sights. The parking fee ($18 a day) is too high as the space is not covered from the sun nor in any way protected. There is a parking lot across from the hotel but it was empty when we got there and the payment system seemed strange. Overall, it was ok but next time we would try something different.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The main reason for staying here was for a Banquet on Sat. night.
1st let me say the bed was Very comfortable and the room was quite making for a Great sleep. We asked for a Riverwalk view, but had a pool view which was fine.

Yes, the hotel is old, but has had updates. Carpet in room had stains, bathroom floor has a build up in all the corners.
Staff was not rude, but always very helpful.
Did not use the pool, but from our room view it looks inviting. Had music playing and wanted to make use of it. Just didn't have the time.
Location: Not in the mix of the action of the Riverwalk, but was not there for that. Trolley day pass was $4.00 and we made use of it to get to the areas we wanted to see.
Would I stay there again Maybe

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel has a lot of potential. I truly enjoy how open it is and bright with so much green around. It has a caribbean feel. When I'm in the pool area it reminds me of a cruise somewhat. I also like how it is on the riverwalk, in an area that is not congested with tourists, but not far from the touristy area either. Oh, great workout room. My only real problem with this property is that it lacks attention to details in the room in regards to cleaning. The stains on the carpet as I walked in the room set the wrong mood. There is accumulated dust on the moldings. Attention to detail is important. All these things add up so it can make any guest feel uncomfortable. Focus on cleanliness & all will be good.

• Stayed May 2013
Spalding
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

... Booked this hotel for its location on the Riverwalk - which it is and very close to a boat stop.

The outside and lobby area look decent but the check-in staff were rude and disinterested.
I was greeted with "Yes?" ... no hello, how are you or any pleasantry.
I gave my details and halfway through the booking in procedure the receptionist was approached by another member of staff - without an apology or a glance in my direction she turned away and had a long conversation with this person.
I asked about car parking (I had pre-booked it with the room) and was told "round back or get the valet to park it" - very abrupt.

On going up to the 6th floor room we found the corridor carpets to be filthy and stained. The carpet in our room was the same and looked as though a bucket of dirty water had been spilled on it and left to dry. We had no curtains (neither sheer nor material) only blackouts.
The paintwork was chipped and peeling and the room felt "old".
On the plus side the beds were comfortable and the bedding clean.
The bathroom was very small.

I asked at reception about curtains and was told (by the same receptionist) "yea, there should be sheers but some rooms don't have them, sorry" ... she then turned away.

Later that evening we went to the bar and asked for a martini and sprite - the barman looked blank and said "Eh?" - I repeated "a Martini please with sprite" - again "Eh? ..... I can make you lemon drop cocktail" ...... I cannot believe that a half decent barman does not know what a martini is.

When we checked out two days later I went to reception to ask for the name of the manager so I could log a complaint .... the gentleman who I spoke with said "Oh you want Carly over there - she's the manager on duty" - unfortunately Carly was the person I wished to complain about so thought it inappropriate to speak to her so asked for the name of the General Manager but all the gentleman would tell me was "Carly is the manager on duty" - I gave up!!!!!

I have written to the hotel but heard nothing from them.

I would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel on the River Walk.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!