“Needs work...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #143 of 352 hotels in San Antonio
USA
“Needs work...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel has a lot of potential. I truly enjoy how open it is and bright with so much green around. It has a caribbean feel. When I'm in the pool area it reminds me of a cruise somewhat. I also like how it is on the riverwalk, in an area that is not congested with tourists, but not far from the touristy area either. Oh, great workout room. My only real problem with this property is that it lacks attention to details in the room in regards to cleaning. The stains on the carpet as I walked in the room set the wrong mood. There is accumulated dust on the moldings. Attention to detail is important. All these things add up so it can make any guest feel uncomfortable. Focus on cleanliness & all will be good.

• Stayed May 2013

683 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Spalding
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

... Booked this hotel for its location on the Riverwalk - which it is and very close to a boat stop.

The outside and lobby area look decent but the check-in staff were rude and disinterested.
I was greeted with "Yes?" ... no hello, how are you or any pleasantry.
I gave my details and halfway through the booking in procedure the receptionist was approached by another member of staff - without an apology or a glance in my direction she turned away and had a long conversation with this person.
I asked about car parking (I had pre-booked it with the room) and was told "round back or get the valet to park it" - very abrupt.

On going up to the 6th floor room we found the corridor carpets to be filthy and stained. The carpet in our room was the same and looked as though a bucket of dirty water had been spilled on it and left to dry. We had no curtains (neither sheer nor material) only blackouts.
The paintwork was chipped and peeling and the room felt "old".
On the plus side the beds were comfortable and the bedding clean.
The bathroom was very small.

I asked at reception about curtains and was told (by the same receptionist) "yea, there should be sheers but some rooms don't have them, sorry" ... she then turned away.

Later that evening we went to the bar and asked for a martini and sprite - the barman looked blank and said "Eh?" - I repeated "a Martini please with sprite" - again "Eh? ..... I can make you lemon drop cocktail" ...... I cannot believe that a half decent barman does not know what a martini is.

When we checked out two days later I went to reception to ask for the name of the manager so I could log a complaint .... the gentleman who I spoke with said "Oh you want Carly over there - she's the manager on duty" - unfortunately Carly was the person I wished to complain about so thought it inappropriate to speak to her so asked for the name of the General Manager but all the gentleman would tell me was "Carly is the manager on duty" - I gave up!!!!!

I have written to the hotel but heard nothing from them.

I would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel on the River Walk.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kerrville, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband & I absolutely love this hotel. It is my favorite by far. We have stayed here at least 6 times in the last year and keep going back. I've stayed for my birthday, Christmas weekend, Mothers day & several others. I've never had a complaint and I always look forward to going back. The pool is fabulous with the pool bar close at hand and in the summer they offer smores around the campfire at the pool. This hotel is downtown but not immediate downtown, maybe a 10 minute trolley ride which is nice if you want to be close but not in the middle of the hustle & bustle. The breakfast in this hotel is great and they have a little coffee bar with fresh sandwiches and stuff. Parking has always been a little pricey but if your lucky your booking may imclude it along with breakfast or drink vouchers. We've stayed with our 4 kids and for a couples get away.

Room Tip: on our last stay we were in room 823 which has a view of the pool and the river
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed over with my family, we booked two rooms, in one of the rooms the shower was broken, so I called the deskinfo and informed them, they repaired it swiftly. Rooms are nice and big, good beds and comfortable, clean in main areas but if you look in the sides and in some places you might find a good layer of dust. For the price paid, I'd say you will not get anything similar by the river, so if you do want the riverwalk, then just go for it, otherwise if you are willing to spend, then maybe the extrastars hotels might be your option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I always read reviews before I go anywhere and I always say the same things to myself..."some of the people that write some of these reviews must be some of the most unhappiest and/or uptight people in the world". We stayed at the hotel during our birthdays and couldn't have asked for a better place. Yes, the place was older, so what - it was clean - that's what I care about. The bed was comfortable, to me. There was coffee and tea in the room. No refrigerator in our room. It has been updated and the place is huge. I booked through a third party and got a great rate. Called the hotel once I got a reservation number and asked for a room on the river side. The person we talked to was very friendly, and we got a great room with a great view! The hotel is a little walk from all the action, which is the way I prefer. I need exercise so it all worked out for me. All the hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. They have no room service if you're into that you might be disappointed. I was sick one day and couldn't get out of the room so my husband went down to the front desk and they had a ton of delivery/takeout menus that deliver to the hotel. They pool area looked great, didn't really go around it too much as it was a way too cool for me. The one down side, the parking it a little steep, $15/day (I think). On two separate days we came back from playing around the city and the parking lot was filled. The parking attendant valeted our car at no extra charge. I personally would advise going ahead and paying this crazy parking fee as the parking around the hotel is very limited, mostly metered. There's a pay lot a couple blocks down, but the area is a little "not so nice". I loved this place and will be going back on my next trip to San Antonio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stumbled upon this hotel on my third trip to San Antonio last year. I loved it. Walked out the front door and down to to the river level to catch the Rio Taxi or the Trolley (bought tickets for the trolley at the front desk). The hotel itself is obviously older, the rooms were well maintained, the lobby beautiful, the cost reasonable. I always check this hotel first when I am returning to San Antonio.

Room Tip: Our room was located facing Lexington. We could easily look out the window and see the river walk. A...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

A little off the beaten path but easily walkable to the main attractions on the Riverwalk and the Alamo. Room was very comfortable and clean. Poolside rooms available. Dining facities were available as well, so if you needed a bite to eat. Breakfast was a full breakfast and we received ours free. There was a major issue with the water while we were there but we were compensated fully after the fact. Just be insistent with issues and you should get your problems resolved! The decor follows its name, Tropics.

Room Tip: Poolside, easy access to the interior of the hotel as well as the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!