“Decent hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #138 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
McAllen, Texas
“Decent hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Lovely lobby with a colorful, retro look. Our room had a nice view of the pool, which is nicely decorated. The room was clean and comfortable, although we were next to the elevator and it was very noisy. This hotel is a good alternative to more expensive Riverwalk hotels. However, we were unhappy with the bartender who, after spending about 10 mintues talking personal business with a friend, told us it was too late to order chips and salsa--the deadline was 10 pm and if she'd paid attention to her customers (us) we would have made the deadline. She told us she'd go see if she could "scrounge some up", and then never got back to us.

Room Tip: Don't get one next to the elevator; supposedly the upper floors have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stay at this hotel only because our company has a contract that forces us to do so. I have never had a good experience here. Noise from outside (single pane windows), noise from inside, HIVAC issues from being too noisy to not working at all. Doors at will not secure to rooms that have smelled like a sewer (literally, as the city sewer gasses were backing up into the hotel), or the usual case of a room's stench of mildew covered by bleach. Dripping faucets. On this last visit one of the elevators was inoperative for most of the stay and there was a teenage Mexican Folk dancing competition going on at the hotel with teenagers yelling and screaming in the hallways at all hours day and night. Repeated calls to the "manager" were to no avail. You can do far better in San Antonio than stay here. Avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager3, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We did have a large focklorico group in the hotel and I do apologize that due to moving around the hotel to the different judging and performance venues we did receive some noise complaints and although we did have additional security on duty we still had folks talking loudly while returning to there rooms. Sounds like you may be with one of our flight crews that we house, please feel free to contact me on your next visit, i would like to introduce myself and get further feedback on how we can accommodate our crews and make your stays better.

Best Regards, Tim
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

When we saw the hotel room we immediately cancelled our stay and booked into another hotel.
This place is filthy!! Carpets are stained, hair on the bed sheets, pillow cases look dirty, the furniture is dirty and worn, the bathtub and showerhead are GROSS, the room is smelly, the coffee maker had a dirty mouldy coffee filter in it, and the ice container was dirty and stained. When we spoke to management they offered to “freshen the room”, NO THANKS!! Run from this place, it should be shut down by a health inspector, Very deceiving when you walk into the lobby to book in, but beware!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are very noisy
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I want to find the person who did the photography for this place and hire him to take my Facebook photo. I would look like Taylor Swift and not a middle aged mother.
I can't believe I fell for it.

PLEASE learn from my tale and RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE.

I booked a girls' weekend with my mother, sister and daughter in San Antonio. We were looking for something in the RiverWalk area and most options were booked up or in the part of downtown where there are very loud traintracks that pass right by the hotel ( Sorry Marriott Plaza...you're very pretty but I could not sleep at all.)

So I found this place online. It didn't seem too bad. The pictures were nice. On the Riverwalk. And $110 a night. Maybe it wasn't La Mansion but heck! we were going to be out all day and just needed a place to rest our heads, right? Oh, silly, silly me.

First of all, you drive to a part of downtown that is on the Riverwalk, that's true. But it's the sketchy part of downtown near no major attractions or the trolley. You pull up to a tacky white building that looks straight out of the 1960s. Pull up to the valet and the valet hands you a bell cart to wheel your own luggage up to your room. Then you walk inside and see the cheesiest, tackiest hotel lobby you can imagine. Looks like Mike Brady designed it on an episode of the Brady Bunch. The desk staff is not the smartest crew on the planet, either. We has reserved two rooms and they gave me one in a dark corner overlooking a sliver of the pool with a SHARED BALCONY with the room next door to me. Nothing to separate us but a very old looking glass sliding door. I was horrified and marched downstairs since there were some young men in that room and sharing the balcony. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did you not see I have a toddler with me? The girl at the counter was totally surprised by my complaint. But another desk person apologized and sent us to a room on the 6th floor. We walked in and it was a big disappointment. A TUBE TV! A small dinky coffeemaker. Carpet that was stained and smelly. But at least no single men sharing a balcony with us.

My sister and mother were sent to a room what smelled like body odor and had a horrible view of the parking lot. The smell was horrible. And the TV did not work. Seriously. And when we went to open the curtains, it helped to kick up a smell of dried vomit where the curtains were. The bathroom showerhead was also loose and rusty and the tub was gross.

The hotel also lacks maintenance to its general facilities. The walls in the hallways need paint. The elevator is old and dirty. The coke machine on the 6th floor was out of most of its products. The pool are is also really ugly. Kind of looked like a pool at a very seedy motel. Parking is $18.

I am trying to find something nice to say about the place and I am struggling. OK, I knew I was not walking into the Four Seasons. I know you get what you pay for. But I saw the pictures and was very disappointed. I hardly slept because of the stench in our room. And I was worried about bedbugs. The place needs a good cleaning. Ok, maybe one positive thing is I saw a couple of people checking in with small dogs. So I think it's pet friendly.

In summary, NEVER AGAIN. Gross, old and inconveniently located. I love San Antonio and will scratch this one of my list. Next time I will pay more and get a nicer place for my visit.

Room Tip: For safety's sake, do not get one with a shared balcony with the room next door. There are no d...
Katy, Tx.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Spent two wonderful nights at the El Tropicano during spring break. The rooms were clean. The complimentary breakfast buffet was terrific and the staff was great. It's on the Riverwalk, but you have to walk about 10 min. to get to the nightlife which I personally didn't mind since the weather was great and we felt very safe even walking at night. I would definitely go back and I would recommend others to try it out. I would suggest that the place inside the hotel that served coffee and where you can buy sandwiches, milk, juice, etc. stay open later. I also would suggest that more t.v. channels be available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The price is good & the staff is very friendly. The rooms are good sized. The beds are kind of small but they are very Comfty. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the carpet. Our room had plenty of stains all over the carpet but other than that I really enjoyed our stay. The pool is nice and there is a small bar in the pool area. It is right along the riverwalk but it's a good 8-10 minute walk to get the main part on the Riverwalk. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while visiting San Antonio. We booked the hotel through Hotwire and received a very good price. Overall, it is a good hotel for the price we paid. The front desk personnel were friendly and the room was very clean. The hotel was older but was recently remodeled. The bathroom was small by today's standard but it suited our needs. The hotel is right on the Riverwalk but it takes about 10 minutes to get to the nightlife. We felt very safe walking along the river but we were home by 9 pm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ElTropicanoHotel, Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are glad that everything went well. We look forward to your return visit to our hotel.

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!