“Excellent staff; friendly, comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #138 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Double Oak, TX
“Excellent staff; friendly, comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

From the minute I was greeted at the front desk by a very friendly desk clerk, to being greeted by maintenance and cleaning people as I walked down the hall, until I checked out, this was a very comfortable hotel to stay in. The lobby is lovely. My room overlooked the river, and when I opened the curtain, a Cooper's hawk was sitting in the tree just outside the window...a nice piece of nature in the city. The room was comfortable, though not elaborate. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate. TV was not a high def flat screen, but it worked well. Internet service worked great. The bed was very comfortable. The location was a ways from the big action downtown and on the main part of the Riverwalk, but this extension portion is wonderful for a pleasant walk through the beautiful landscaping along the shoreline. I'd like to come back to try out the beautiful pool area. I think it will be a fun place when it's warmer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
San Marcos TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

First off, I've stayed at worse hotels. However, it was old and dated. The bed was literally broken. I thought it was soft when I laid down on it, but it wasn't until the morning after until that I looked under the bed and saw a number of the bed frame boards busted out and sticking through the mattress! The bed skirt was dirty and I don't want to know what that stain was...

On the plus side the TV worked, the water ran hot and strong, the towels were fluffy, the AC blew cold, and the room was relatively clean. It had a cute little balcony with some dated chairs that needed replacing. I didn't try the bar or the food so I can't comment on them.

The location is good. It's about a mile walk on the riverwalk upstream to the Pearl Market and museum. Not sure how long of walk to the downtown portion but you can always catch the river taxi.

So, I've been in worse places. It was mostly clean, just dated. It would not be my first choice on the Riverwalk, but I can't really afford my first choice :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gonzales, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I got away for the weekend, and unsure on where to stay on the riverwalk. We booked our room at this hotel, and I was very pleased. We had a room with a riverwalk view, king size bed, and a gooood A/C. the room was very clean. The only thing I didn't care for was that the parking was $18. It was very convienent to get on the river taxi to go to the eating places on the riverwalk and our veranda was so nice and quiet for our evening drinks by the river. If your looking for a quiet out of the way place on the riverwalk this is the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is an older hotel and I was suprised by the nice renovation. The lobby looks great and our room had nice decor and furniture. Overall, we had a nice experience, but I wish it was closer to the main part of the river walk. Using the trolley bus, which is just out front, was very easy and you can buy a day pass for it at the front desk. I opted use a combination of street parking and the lot across the street instead of paying to park in the hotel. This made me have to move my car at 8AM, but I thought it was worth the savings. The staff was helpful and I really like that they had a cafe that was open until 10PM. The smoothies from there are really good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Waxhaw, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has a little bit of everything, located on one end of the riverwalk and secluded - just a short walk away from all the action, It has a very interesting historical significance and a 60's retro style to the property. A pool is in the center of the property with a workout facility behind it. There are several places to sit outside and enjoy the Riverwalk as well as a Toucan, tortoise, and other birds. By the way, the person that said you have a view of the parking lot couldn't be more wrong, so don't believe that comment as it is on the river and the view is of the river - if you choose that side of the hotel, with a parking lot on the other side of the river! As with any hotel it is all in what you are looking for in a hotel and this one was to my liking with friendly and helpful staff...etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I booked our room through Price Line. We arrived January 17th and stayed till Monday the 21st. The hotel is right on the river and is so beautiful inside. I really enjoyed all the tropical plants inside the lobby. They also have a too can sam (sp) bird, iguana and a huge tortoise in this big beautiful glass tropical in closer. They staff is AMAZING!!!! I have to give a big shout out to Brandon at the front desk. Thank you Brandon, you are the best front desk attendant I have ever come across! The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay so relaxing. We will defiantly stay there again next year! Thank you again for being so kind and helpful to us!!!

Room Tip: The second floor with sliding doors that take you to your own are right next to the pool!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My first visit to El Tropicano, I stayed with my fiance for a romantic getaway. The room was perfect ,the food was great, and the staff was wonderful. My second visit was for a mom and daughters concert getaway. We were able to get adjoining rooms so the girls could go back and forth without interrupting the guests. The staff helped with getting us cabs and making the girls feel like they were VIP. Whether you are staying for a romantic getaway, family getaway, or any other getaway El Tropicano is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!