“Fun times in San Antonio Texas” 4 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #142 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Waxhaw, North Carolina, USA
“Fun times in San Antonio Texas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has a little bit of everything, located on one end of the riverwalk and secluded - just a short walk away from all the action, It has a very interesting historical significance and a 60's retro style to the property. A pool is in the center of the property with a workout facility behind it. There are several places to sit outside and enjoy the Riverwalk as well as a Toucan, tortoise, and other birds. By the way, the person that said you have a view of the parking lot couldn't be more wrong, so don't believe that comment as it is on the river and the view is of the river - if you choose that side of the hotel, with a parking lot on the other side of the river! As with any hotel it is all in what you are looking for in a hotel and this one was to my liking with friendly and helpful staff...etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

679 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I booked our room through Price Line. We arrived January 17th and stayed till Monday the 21st. The hotel is right on the river and is so beautiful inside. I really enjoyed all the tropical plants inside the lobby. They also have a too can sam (sp) bird, iguana and a huge tortoise in this big beautiful glass tropical in closer. They staff is AMAZING!!!! I have to give a big shout out to Brandon at the front desk. Thank you Brandon, you are the best front desk attendant I have ever come across! The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay so relaxing. We will defiantly stay there again next year! Thank you again for being so kind and helpful to us!!!

Room Tip: The second floor with sliding doors that take you to your own are right next to the pool!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My first visit to El Tropicano, I stayed with my fiance for a romantic getaway. The room was perfect ,the food was great, and the staff was wonderful. My second visit was for a mom and daughters concert getaway. We were able to get adjoining rooms so the girls could go back and forth without interrupting the guests. The staff helped with getting us cabs and making the girls feel like they were VIP. Whether you are staying for a romantic getaway, family getaway, or any other getaway El Tropicano is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

After reading the reviews, we didn't know what to expect when we arrived. I was truly impressed when we walked in. The lobby is very nice and the front desk personnel were great! After a very friendly and fast check-in, we were welcomed as first time Texas visitors with 2 complimentary tickets for their buffet breakfast. When we asked for a smoking room, they said they are 100% smoke free, but they could accomodate us with a balcony room and we booked through priceline (I saw an earlier review that was negative and booked through priceline). Our room was extremely nice also. They still have the big fat TV's and if you want a refrigerator it is $13 extra. Other than those two minor things, everything was super! I didn't come there to watch TV anyway! When we return to San Antonio, we will definitely stay here.....Highly recommend it! If you are looking to stay on the Riverwalk were all the restaurants and attractions are, I would go South on the Riverwalk from this hotel. We like to walk and definitely needed to walk off our meals eaten in the heart of the Riverwalk and walked off our great breakfast from El Tropicano on our walk downtown!

Room Tip: If available, I recommend a balcany room. It is nice to sit outside in the fresh air here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I can here for a "mom getaway", the first time on the Riverwalk and my first trip away from my daughter (who is 2) so I had high expectations. They were met. I pulled up to the hotel and was skeptical, it did not look like what I had in mind when booking but I went to check in and the lobby was beautiful, the guy at the front desk was friendly and helpful and checking in was a breeze. We had booked a poolside room in the winter because one of my friends is a smoker and it was amazing. You step out onto the patio and there is a patio chair and table and you are only a few feet away from the beautiful pool area. Lovely trees and lights made it a very nice view (I plan to go back in the summer to take advantage of that). I did not use the gym but I did go look at it during our walk around the hotel and it was huge, and had lots of equipment. Our room was a tad on the small side but very nice. As soon as we walked in the front desk called to make sure everything was alright. The room did have a tiny bit of dust on the side table but was otherwise clean, and smelled great. The tv is an older box tx but I didnt go there to watch tv so it did not bother me. The bathroom was small but clean and shiny. The beds were comfortable and the staff was extremely helpful. I had to get some extra supplies from the maid, who was friendly and polite, even the guy vacuuming the carpet outside my room was cheerful and polite. I had never been to the Riverwalk before and did not know exactly what to expect, the hotel is closer to the Museum side then the nightlife side but the River Taxi can get you around during the day and a cab from downtown is only 5.64$.If you are going with children or a large family this may not be the best hotel simply because of the size of the room and things that are per person like the river cab can get expensive but a romantic getaway or a friends trip is perfect. I would stay here again despite the location because I had such a nice experience with the hotel. It is not the Ritz, it is an older hotel and has the typical cosmetic issues that are expected with an older hotel but everywhere we went was clean and had fresh paint. I do not work there and am in no other way affiliated with them as previous reviews suggest, I had a wonderful experience here and do plan on staying there again and have recommended it to several family and friends.

Room Tip: Poolside is the way to go!!! There is a small patio area with tables and chairs and you are a few fe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Booked this on Priceline..big mistake..bad location, dirty room, dust, stains, hair on bathroom floor, along with stains on the wallpaper next to the toilet. Had a Maid come in, she attemped to quick clean, Very disappointed for the rating it recieved, does anyone ever go check out these properties?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I reserved room for New Year's Eve. Paid a little bit more than I normally would pay because I wanted it to be special for my Fiancé and I. Lobby was beautiful. As we got off elevator, scenery changed. Stains on carpet. We got into our room and it was freezing. We tried turning on heat ( as it was a cold night). Remote did not work. And AC would not turn off. We tried to move vent up and it fell off. Carpet in room had stains. Restroom was very small. Toilet is too close to wall. There was calcium build up and a patched up hole in the tub. TV was old and dusty. And it is way too far from the downtown Riverwalk area. The pictures on the Internet are deceiving. We checked out after 20 min. It is equivalent to a $60 motel room. I do not understand how they can charge $200 a night. So NOT worth the cost. We found a room at a Comfort Inn for that night. Now for that room I would have paid $200! I paid $84....look elsewhere before you think of booking with " El Tropicano"!! As for all the positive reviews here, I find it hard to believe they are legit. Must be employees filling out these great reviews...

• Stayed December 2012

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!