“Great Hotel and Amazing Service! Definitely Recommend!” 5 of 5 stars

El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   110 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #144 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
“Great Hotel and Amazing Service! Definitely Recommend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

After reading the reviews, we didn't know what to expect when we arrived. I was truly impressed when we walked in. The lobby is very nice and the front desk personnel were great! After a very friendly and fast check-in, we were welcomed as first time Texas visitors with 2 complimentary tickets for their buffet breakfast. When we asked for a smoking room, they said they are 100% smoke free, but they could accomodate us with a balcony room and we booked through priceline (I saw an earlier review that was negative and booked through priceline). Our room was extremely nice also. They still have the big fat TV's and if you want a refrigerator it is $13 extra. Other than those two minor things, everything was super! I didn't come there to watch TV anyway! When we return to San Antonio, we will definitely stay here.....Highly recommend it! If you are looking to stay on the Riverwalk were all the restaurants and attractions are, I would go South on the Riverwalk from this hotel. We like to walk and definitely needed to walk off our meals eaten in the heart of the Riverwalk and walked off our great breakfast from El Tropicano on our walk downtown!

Room Tip: If available, I recommend a balcany room. It is nice to sit outside in the fresh air here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

682 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I can here for a "mom getaway", the first time on the Riverwalk and my first trip away from my daughter (who is 2) so I had high expectations. They were met. I pulled up to the hotel and was skeptical, it did not look like what I had in mind when booking but I went to check in and the lobby was beautiful, the guy at the front desk was friendly and helpful and checking in was a breeze. We had booked a poolside room in the winter because one of my friends is a smoker and it was amazing. You step out onto the patio and there is a patio chair and table and you are only a few feet away from the beautiful pool area. Lovely trees and lights made it a very nice view (I plan to go back in the summer to take advantage of that). I did not use the gym but I did go look at it during our walk around the hotel and it was huge, and had lots of equipment. Our room was a tad on the small side but very nice. As soon as we walked in the front desk called to make sure everything was alright. The room did have a tiny bit of dust on the side table but was otherwise clean, and smelled great. The tv is an older box tx but I didnt go there to watch tv so it did not bother me. The bathroom was small but clean and shiny. The beds were comfortable and the staff was extremely helpful. I had to get some extra supplies from the maid, who was friendly and polite, even the guy vacuuming the carpet outside my room was cheerful and polite. I had never been to the Riverwalk before and did not know exactly what to expect, the hotel is closer to the Museum side then the nightlife side but the River Taxi can get you around during the day and a cab from downtown is only 5.64$.If you are going with children or a large family this may not be the best hotel simply because of the size of the room and things that are per person like the river cab can get expensive but a romantic getaway or a friends trip is perfect. I would stay here again despite the location because I had such a nice experience with the hotel. It is not the Ritz, it is an older hotel and has the typical cosmetic issues that are expected with an older hotel but everywhere we went was clean and had fresh paint. I do not work there and am in no other way affiliated with them as previous reviews suggest, I had a wonderful experience here and do plan on staying there again and have recommended it to several family and friends.

Room Tip: Poolside is the way to go!!! There is a small patio area with tables and chairs and you are a few fe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Booked this on Priceline..big mistake..bad location, dirty room, dust, stains, hair on bathroom floor, along with stains on the wallpaper next to the toilet. Had a Maid come in, she attemped to quick clean, Very disappointed for the rating it recieved, does anyone ever go check out these properties?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I reserved room for New Year's Eve. Paid a little bit more than I normally would pay because I wanted it to be special for my Fiancé and I. Lobby was beautiful. As we got off elevator, scenery changed. Stains on carpet. We got into our room and it was freezing. We tried turning on heat ( as it was a cold night). Remote did not work. And AC would not turn off. We tried to move vent up and it fell off. Carpet in room had stains. Restroom was very small. Toilet is too close to wall. There was calcium build up and a patched up hole in the tub. TV was old and dusty. And it is way too far from the downtown Riverwalk area. The pictures on the Internet are deceiving. We checked out after 20 min. It is equivalent to a $60 motel room. I do not understand how they can charge $200 a night. So NOT worth the cost. We found a room at a Comfort Inn for that night. Now for that room I would have paid $200! I paid $84....look elsewhere before you think of booking with " El Tropicano"!! As for all the positive reviews here, I find it hard to believe they are legit. Must be employees filling out these great reviews...

• Stayed December 2012
Franklin, Texas USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Kathryn M

Stayed Dec 28th through 31st, 2012. Made reservations directly with hotel; day before realized we had not asked for a handicap accessible room and sent an email. Room was ready when we arrived and was very nice; very clean, fridge and microwave, large walk in shower and very comfortable bed. We especially liked the European style air conditioning as with asthma needed cold temps. We heard no noise from our room and was not far from the elevators.

The staff was very helpful with helping us get around San Antonio and the best thing was the trolley stopped across the street and dropped directly in front of the hotel. Day pass was well worth the four dollars.

Complimentary breakfast was good and the staff was extremely helpful in all departments, front desk, bar, coffee bar and breakfast area. We did all the tourist things, and it was easy to get to the riverwalk, market square, Rivercenter Mall, trolley narrated tours and trolley system. We were able to park on the lower ground level all days even though the hotel had two large private events one evening and $18.00 a day was cheap compared to the other hotels. We had a free shuttle from the hotel to take us to two homemade from scratch Italian and Mexican restaurants and bring us back to the hotel. Very nice.

Since everyone was so helpful and friendly, even though there was the Oregon State/University of Texas football game in town, we do not understand the negative reviews--perhaps impatient people. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Explain your needs when making the reservations and don't make the reservations through a third...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

It was a very, very long day of travel on December 20,2012 and I was traveling in from Canada and joining my husband in Houston to drive to our "Favorite" Hotel in the U.S. which is "El Tropicano". We staggled in at 4;00 in the morning and was greetd by a cold front outside but a warm smile inside. It sure was a sight for sore eyes after a long and arduous trip we were ever so delighted to arrive!!. We had our room ready for us and after we unpacked we were ready to greet the Mayan Experience the next Day. Well, we did experience it in the form of utmost professionalism, attentiveness, care and courteous customer service at "El Tropicano". So I hope this review will provide some insight to your travel's

Room Tip: if you want to sleep in ask for room's in the inner side of the hotel because the sun won't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

They did a really great job remodeling this hotel...lots of light, very contemporary updated decor. Rooms are nice (a bit small), and the bed is comfortable. VERY clean!!!! (They are not afraid to sanitize the bathrooms!!!) Food is good. Service is excellent. Staff super nice! It is in the museum/art district area of San Antonio, so the walk along the riverwalk to shops and restaurants is a little longer, but its a pleasurable walk...the riverwalk is beautiful on this end. This truly was a great surprise to us, and I will definitely return. Excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: dont stay in the rooms next to the elevator! Also, you can hear some of the noise in the hallways i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!