“Not up to par” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #136 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Not up to par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here two nights and each day our opinions of the place declined. The first night's room had an air conditioner that was so noisy we had a difficult time sleeping. The WiFi was unreachable. Parking was $18.00 per day (it was $5.00 per day across the street). The location is at the very end of the River walk and the water taxi turns around outside the hotel and goes back downstream. A typical breakfast buffet will run you $11.00.

After complaining the next morning we were able to move to a room where the air conditioner worked just fine. The next time we go to San Antonio we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManager3, General Manager at El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review, I apologize for the problems with the noise from the air conditioner the first night and am glad that we were able to move you the next day although that is not our ideal solution as you should not have encountered that problem from the beginning.

I hope on your next visit to San Antonio we will have an opportunity to ensure you a problem free stay.

Best Regards, Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

this place is a hotel hell,the rooms are so little and the rest room had mildew on the soap dish,we are still looking for the riverwake and we are back in DFW! the only view was a crane working acrose the street.when we ask for another room was told they was full..full at this place!! i don't think so.any eay this place should be named hotel hell...also we left this place and went to the wyndham and it cost less and was so much better..

Room Tip: if this the only hotel that has a room. stay home.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I apologize that this was not the hotel for you, when booking through blind bidding sites you sometimes end up with a property that does not fit your travel needs. My records indicate you were assigned to room 817 which has a balcony and overlooks our pool area and although the new Performing Arts Center is being renovated into a state of the art center across from us we have had zero noise complaints and although the crane is an eyesore it is not visible from the pool side of the hotel.

I think if you had stayed the night you certainly would have enjoyed our unique hotel as well as the Museum Reach section of the Riverwalk which offers a completely different experience from the main channel area including the uniquely developed Pearl Brewery area. I hope your overall stay in San Antonio was enjoyable and I thank you for visiting our city.

Best regards, Tim
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am a young college student from a typical small town in West Texas, so when I showed up in San Antonio, alone, it was overwhelming. Even the hotel itself was overwhelming, but in a good way. The lobby was large and beautifully decorated. I went to the front desk and the and the clerk was amazingly hospitable, and he was just in training! I had reserved my room via a travel website and was unsure of exactly what I had purchased. The clerk ended up giving me a beautiful room with a great view of the riverwalk! Retrieving my luggage, I looked lost in the parking lot and a worker passing by took the time to stop and help me find my way to the elevators. Later, I realized I forgot some things and went down to the lobby to ask where I could find the things I needed. I was immediately given directions to the nearest store, and given tips too. This clerk was very personable and sweet, even though this was probably something I could have Googled. The whole staff seemed to go above and beyond to make each guest's experience there a good one. I will definitely be staying here again and would advise others to do the same.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Brownsville, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel like all the other people write, is off the riverwalk and still charging riverwalk prices. 18 dollars a night for parking? That is terrible. About five years ago when this place was under renovation we stayed here and at that time there was no charge for parking, so why now?

Also, the place and rooms are just not that nice.

Last night the ground level parking area was jam packed and we did not know how to access the upper level parking area. We pulled into the check in area and the rude security guard was rude to my wife! He yelled at her. I do not know how a hotel that "supposedly" prides themselves on customer service would employee a security guard with no people skills.

We are still here for another 3 nights and hate it!

St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is located just a short walk away from the river walk but far enough for a quiet stay. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. The pool is great, situated in a fun tropical setting. The gym is wonderful with every piece of workout equipment you could ever need. the breakfast buffet is affordable and delicious. I would recommend this place for business, family or couples.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Out of our six night trip, this is the only hotel that I probably wouldn't stay at again. I won this hotel from a priceline name your own price bid, for $50 a night. Super reasonable for this area of town, although I wouldn't pay more than that for this particular hotel. The stay was super nice, and even gave us free parking (normally $18) since they only had full size beds available. It's further down on the riverwalk, but we were still able to cross the street right to the river and walk from there to downtown in about 15 minutes. The hotel is older - you can tell that right away. They did give us a balcony, which was nice. Bar was open late and had reasonable prices - no fridge in the room.

As soon as we walked into our room though there was a very bad musty smell that never left, even after we opened the balcony and let the room air out for a couple of hours. This is the main reason I wouldn't stay here again. The bathroom looked to be newly renovated, and the room was reasonably clean for being an older hotel. Next time, I think I'll pick a place closer to downtown and a little newer.

Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

At first we were in room 355, corner room, queen bed. It was creepy and the window barely opened and the room was very small. We asked the sweet girl at the front desk to move and she moved us right away to the last room they had available, 241. This room was fantastic! It had two double beds but the room was much bigger and the beds seemed the same size as the queen. And there was a giant sliding door that led to a beautiful sitting area outside near the pool. The room was clean and everyone was very nice and helpful. Chips and salsa in the bar surprisingly good. Nice to sit by the river and have a drink. Main Riverwalk area is about 1.5 miles down but it was a great walk and there is a river taxi for 5 dollars. At night we took the Trolley that stops right in front of the hotel. For 1.10 each we took the trolley to Hemisphere park where we visited Tower of the Americas. It was so close that we then were able to take a pedicab back for very cheap. Also the hotel has a giant turtle and a toucan. Overall a really nice place for an exciting adventure.

Room Tip: Go for the double beds instead of one queen. The beds are not much smaller but the room is a lot big...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!