“Good choice near Riverwalk and Alamo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza

You added SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   411 Bowie Street, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #40 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good choice near Riverwalk and Alamo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Booked this hotel for 5 nights as part of a conference I was attending in San Antonio. The experience was typical of my other stays at Springhill Suites (a good thing) which, along with Homewood Suites, have become my hotel of choice when traveling as a family. Large clean rooms with a separate sleeping and sitting/living areas and a decent complimentary breakfast including Texas shaped waffle irons (although apparently only weekdays). Since we travel with our two children, having the larger rooms with a fridge and microwave is key to enjoying our trip. Two portable cribs were provided without any problem or charge. The pool is outdoors and looked fine but we didn't go in it. Exercise room was large and well appointed. Its a few blocks and an easy walk to the Riverwalk, Alama, Conference Center, and Rivercenter mall. Valet parking ($21/night) was fine. There were some public lots that would have been a little cheaper, but not worth the minimal savings. Room price was very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week during a business trip. The facilities seems to have been renovated recently, so there's a sense that everything is new (at least this is my impression).
The structure is like all "Springhills" I was before. The room is pretty nice espacious, with very good bed that provided me with amazing quality of sleep.
The staff are polite and helpful. The common area of the hotel is also good (pool, gym, room for computers, etc), as well as breakfast.
I only suggest to hotel staff for not charging valet parking for long-staying guests, because there are many parking lots in the neighborhood and the customer who does not agree with the price they charge for valet (21 USD / day) may as well put the cars on these places instead leaving it on the hotel.
The highlight for this hotel is the location (2 blocks from the riverwalk, 1 block from the Alamo and 3 blocks from Rivercenter mall). Certainly I'll be staying in this hotel again when returning to
San Antonio.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Shelby Twp Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Came here to see the Riverwalk and the Alamo wanted to experience it in December with all the lights. The hotel was great the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcomed. Everything is within walking distance could not have asked for a better location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were in town for state marching band competition and had almost 300 people at this hotel - most of whom were students. We checked in at after 11pm and the hotel was wonderful about being quick in getting key-cards to our kids and getting everyone checked into rooms. The desk staff and management were incredibly friendly and accomodating!

The room was suprisingly large and seemed to have recently been remodeled. The separate sleeping area was great for rooms with more than four students. And, the separate sink made it easier for multiple students to get ready at the same time.

As an adult, I expected the hotel to be noisy - and I am a light sleeper. Other than a bit of street noise, I did not hear anything the entire night.

Breakfast the next morning was your usual for a hotel of this level. But, the staff kept all the items full and replenished so we could get a big group through. Also, the lobby is large and had ample area for our group to spread out and get organized before leaving for the day.

I would recommend this for a group - or I'd stay there for any event at the Riverwalk or Alamodome.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Nice property, rooms nice with separate living and sleeping areas. I've stayed in other SH Suites and although this one is in a decent downtown San Antonio location, it's noisy if your room faces the freeway. Ask for a room facing the downtown area if you want to sleep. Also, ask the front desk to have someone come up and set the AC/fan on so it runs continuously to drown out road noise. Parking is $21/day and is valet, unless you can find a rare space on the street. Breakfast is free and has good variety. Service was friendly and prompt.

• Stayed November 2012
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were in San Antonio for a sporting event for the weekend. The Spring Hill Suites met pretty much all our expectations! The room was nice and clean when we arrived. The bed was very soft, the shower is wonderful-great settings! We had a nice view of downtown San Antonio and the AT&T Center was within walking distance as is the mall and the Riverwalk. The complimentary breakfast was really good...waffle station, fresh fruit, coffee, juice different types of breakfast meats, potatoes and more! Valet parking was $21 a day...but that was the only downside! Other than that we truly enjoyed our stay! Will be returning when we are in the area!

• Stayed October 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I and our children really enjoyed our clean comfortable room, and the breakfast was the best we've ever had in any hotel. However, upon check in the front desk person was really nice up until the point where I told her that I would be putting in a cash deposit as I did not like any holds to be put in my credit card. From that point on, she treated me like crap. When I had gone down to the lobby to purchase some ice creams from their "mart" with my kiddos, she rang up the gentleman in front of me, but when it came my turn to pay, she told me, "I'll be right with you," and was simultaneously helping the other two ladies next to
me, but they were waiting on a room and she was not doing anything, but yet she rang up the guys purchase ahead of mine, meanwhile the icecreams were melting and my children were getting a little restless. I guess she probably also did not like the fact that I payed a discounted rate from hotels.com. She must have pretty good job security to be acting that way. Also, when I asked for a complimentary crib, all I was given was a playpen! For the price I payed which was close to even with the discount, I would have expected a whole lot better! I will never stay here again. I also feel like I wasn't treated as importantly because I am hispanic. That idiot did not even have the courtesy to utter at least a thank you for any purchase that I made there. I had MUCH better experience at the Menger and Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
epenasales, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent review during your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Alamo Plaza. We welcome both positive and negative reviews to improve our quality of service. We regret that you did not receive the level of service that every guest is expected to receive. We apologize we missed the opportunity to address any of your concerns and what you experienced with our hotel and staff. We strive and make every effort to train and ensure that all of our guests are treated equally with great customer service and quality standards. Due to recent federal standards and children sleep safely, hotels were required to remove all drop-side cribs. Therefore, our new standard is the new mesh sided pack-n-play crib which you received. We would like for you to give us the opportunity again to give you the service you deserve.