“Good hotel, nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza

Save Saved
You added SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza
Ranked #66 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Good hotel, nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Nice property, rooms nice with separate living and sleeping areas. I've stayed in other SH Suites and although this one is in a decent downtown San Antonio location, it's noisy if your room faces the freeway. Ask for a room facing the downtown area if you want to sleep. Also, ask the front desk to have someone come up and set the AC/fan on so it runs continuously to drown out road noise. Parking is $21/day and is valet, unless you can find a rare space on the street. Breakfast is free and has good variety. Service was friendly and prompt.

• Stayed November 2012

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We were in San Antonio for a sporting event for the weekend. The Spring Hill Suites met pretty much all our expectations! The room was nice and clean when we arrived. The bed was very soft, the shower is wonderful-great settings! We had a nice view of downtown San Antonio and the AT&T Center was within walking distance as is the mall and the Riverwalk. The complimentary breakfast was really good...waffle station, fresh fruit, coffee, juice different types of breakfast meats, potatoes and more! Valet parking was $21 a day...but that was the only downside! Other than that we truly enjoyed our stay! Will be returning when we are in the area!

• Stayed October 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I and our children really enjoyed our clean comfortable room, and the breakfast was the best we've ever had in any hotel. However, upon check in the front desk person was really nice up until the point where I told her that I would be putting in a cash deposit as I did not like any holds to be put in my credit card. From that point on, she treated me like crap. When I had gone down to the lobby to purchase some ice creams from their "mart" with my kiddos, she rang up the gentleman in front of me, but when it came my turn to pay, she told me, "I'll be right with you," and was simultaneously helping the other two ladies next to
me, but they were waiting on a room and she was not doing anything, but yet she rang up the guys purchase ahead of mine, meanwhile the icecreams were melting and my children were getting a little restless. I guess she probably also did not like the fact that I payed a discounted rate from hotels.com. She must have pretty good job security to be acting that way. Also, when I asked for a complimentary crib, all I was given was a playpen! For the price I payed which was close to even with the discount, I would have expected a whole lot better! I will never stay here again. I also feel like I wasn't treated as importantly because I am hispanic. That idiot did not even have the courtesy to utter at least a thank you for any purchase that I made there. I had MUCH better experience at the Menger and Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
epenasales, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent review during your recent stay at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Alamo Plaza. We welcome both positive and negative reviews to improve our quality of service. We regret that you did not receive the level of service that every guest is expected to receive. We apologize we missed the opportunity to address any of your concerns and what you experienced with our hotel and staff. We strive and make every effort to train and ensure that all of our guests are treated equally with great customer service and quality standards. Due to recent federal standards and children sleep safely, hotels were required to remove all drop-side cribs. Therefore, our new standard is the new mesh sided pack-n-play crib which you received. We would like for you to give us the opportunity again to give you the service you deserve.
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We checked in Friday afternoon and were immediately and nicely given a top floor room when I asked, even though the desk clerk had already made the keys for a lower floor room. The 2 queen bed suite was huge, even with the sofa bed out. The room was extremely clean and hotel was very quiet. (Our room faced the back parking lot toward the Alamo.) Great location...very close to the Alamo and a short distance to the Riverwalk. The breakfast was amazing. Huge variety of food... sausage, eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries and "make your own" waffles. The staff was very friendly and made the stay even nicer.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room that faces the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed from October 14-18. Room was large and comfortable. Bed was luxurious. Only complaint: street noise was a bit invasive.
Staff was young and very friendly.
Best part (at least for me) was the wonderful breakfast spread they lay out each morning. Belgian waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, fruits, juices, bagles and more, helps you greet the day with a big smile and a full tummy.
Give 'em a try next time you're in SAT. You'll be pleased and pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Higher is better. Get above the street noise. Ask for a room on the west side, if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel location is excellent. It is a block from the back entrance to the Alamo plaza and only two blocks to the back entrance of the Rivercenter mall. It was reasonably priced for the area, cheaper than similar hotels on the Riverwalk but also had the advantage of the larger suite. Not a separate room, but a spacious living area with the desk and lounge separated from the beds by dividing screen.

Only valet parking is available and it was comparably priced to other downtown hotels.

There is coffee a available all day and evening in the lobby, although the coffee was only
just warm by about 9pm. However the rooms have a microwave so you can reheat it if
necessary.

The breakfast had hot and cold options. The only fresh fruit was apples and some very brown bananas, however there was refrigerated cups of tinned fruit available. Waffles were
available, muffins, pastries, nice scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage.

We stayed on a Saturday night and we did have issues with noise. There was an extremely inconsiderate group of young women staying across the hall who came in and out of their rooms at 2.30 am for several minutes laughing and talking loudly. I noticed that there is quite a large gap under the room door which makes noise in the hallway a problem in your room. There was also street noise from traffic and music from a nearby club that went on late into the evening. If noise is a problem it may be best to ask for a quiet room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Loved this new marriott property. The location was great for downtown, within walking distance to riverwalk, river center and many great restaurants. The hotel is very new, and is physically attached to the Fairfield Inn, with a shared pool and workout area. The room was spacious and clean. The breakfast buffet was excellent - great variety of hot and cold items and the famous Texas waffles :) Coffee was available all day, which was great after a long day of meetings. Staff was very nice. i would definitely stay here again.
I found a lightly traveled side-street nearby where there were parking meters from 8am-6pm, at 25 cents per hour. It cost $2 to park for 2 days vs $21 for valet

Room Tip: even numbered rooms might be quieter, as the odd numbers are on the side of the interstate.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza

Address: 411 Bowie Street, San Antonio, TX 78205
Location: United States > Texas > San Antonio > East Side
Ranked #66 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Hotel Class:3 star — SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza 3*
The Springhill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza hotel is right next to the historic Alamo and is within walking distance to the famous San Antonio Riverwalk. It is a 6-story building, offering 118 new designed suites that delivers space, style and inspiring spaces that will enrich every guests travel. The SpringHill Suites by Marriott offers complimentary new hot breakfast daily, complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, business center, 24/7 Market, on-site fitness center and outdoor heated pool. Valet parking. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Marriott, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown / Alamo Plaza, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.