“Authentic Italian Food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Luce Ristorante E Enoteca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #247 of 4,141 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: IH10
New Braunfels, Texas
“Authentic Italian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This would qualify as a good Italian restaurant even by NYC standards. The selection of food is quite lengthy coupled with an incredible wine list. Meatballs are made with three types of meat: beef, veal, pork - same ingredients my grandma used. Marinara sauce is wonderful without being overpowering. It is one of the only places in San Antonio to find gnocchi.

Visited June 2012

Katy, Texas
“Luce is Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

What a gem! We can recommend this establishment highly, and we have eaten at five-star restaurants all over the US. Our experience at this restaurant was excellent from start to finish. The owner was welcoming and warm, as he was with all the other diners. Our server, Cynthia, was friendly, attentive and knowledgeable, and the atmosphere was unique and quite beautiful, including the outdoor pergola area. What makes Luce stand out, in addition to the food (we had a margherita pizza, Caesar salad and butternut squash ravioli with sage butter sauce, with tiramisu and coffee for dessert) were the little details. For example, the coffee is served in a French press (it was dark, rich and delicious), the silverware was replaced quickly, and upon being seated we were provided with a basket of crusty bread and a small plate of marinaded chickpeas and carrots. The food was presented beautifully also. We can't understand the negative reviews--Luce is beyond reproach. Perhaps some competitors in the area are nervous that once diners try Luce, they will never want to eat anywhere else! Try it--you won't be disappointed

• Visited June 2012
Memphis
“Great food and ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I went here with a group and couldn't have been happier. It was a large group and the dinner was in the beautiful wine room. The service was extraordinary. Someone was always close by to fill our water and wine glasses. We both had the seabass over risotto and it was absolutely delicious. I would absolutely go back here the next time we're in San Antonio.

• Visited April 2012
SAN ANTONIO
“GREAT FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at Luce last night. The food was wonderful and the service was great though they were very busy (good sign). My wife had the salmon (she said one of best she ever had) and I had the Sorrentina and the veal was very tender and flavorable. The pasta was hand made and the soups were very tasty. Though a little pricy the food was worth the expense. I am surprised that there were few reviews though I have been there before and did not comment.

• Visited April 2012
Texas
“Romantic and wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I had dinner here for the first time last evening. We had been unaware of this restaurant until we spotted it in the same strip mall as Brindle's Ice Cream, (Heubner Oaks), this summer. All I can say is that we feel as though we have discovered a hidden jewel!

To start with, we were greeted very warmly when we arrived and were treated as welcome guests - everyone was very friendly. We were seated soon after we arrived and it didn't take long to realize that this place is utterly romantic - great decor, lots of wine bottles lining the walls, candles - very nice atmosphere. There is also an outdoor area with a fireplace that would be ideal on a cool evening.

We happened to be there on a Friday evening, (we were told that every Friday evening a singer performs), so we were happily treated to some beautiful Frank Sinatra-type romantic ballads as we dined! I have to add that we were seated right next to the area where the singer was set up and we were initially concerned that it might be a little too loud , but it wasn't too loud in the least - and the performer was very polite and told us to let him know if the volume ever became too much. Sipping wine, listening to beautiful love songs - it was just wonderful!

It should be noted that the service here is tremendously professional, discreet and reminded us of the type of service you would encounter in Europe. Salads are not rushed to your table while you are still have an appetizer in front of you, for example - everything is timed perfectly.

Now, the most important part - the food! We loved everything we had from a polenta appetizer that we shared, (really fabulous!), to the salads to our main courses, (shrimp for me, lamb chops for my husband). Everything was excellent, and my husband raved about the top-notch lamb chops, (he has often been disappointed in the quality of lamb served in other restaurants). Desserts were also excellent.

So many restaurants these days are just plain too loud with overbearing music, televisions on the wall, rushed service - not conducive to conversation and certainly not romantic., regardless of how good the food might be. This is one of the very few places, (actually, it may be the only place), we have found in San Antonio where you can enjoy a wonderful dinner in a romantic, relaxed, non-noisy setting.

We loved this restaurant and will definitely return.

• Visited August 2011