“Fantastic Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites Stone Oak

Save Saved
You added Staybridge Suites Stone Oak to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites Stone Oak
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   808 N Loop 1604 East, San Antonio, TX 78232 (Far North Central)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #72 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Fort Myers, Florida
“Fantastic Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here June 23,2012 to July 20, 2012...almost a month. I travel for a living AND work nights. Housekeeping was FANTASTIC on accomodating my schedule. Beautiful property. Back patio and pool are probably the nicest Ive seen. Cushioned open air seating with fire pit. Covered pagoda style seating with BBQ grills.
Clean, comfortable and ALL staff were friendly and courteous. I particularly want to call out the Director of Sales Lynette Deihl. I travel with a group and she was particularly helpful in securing our accomodations. The most surprising aspect came when I casually mentioned to her that my group would be moving on to our next city. The next morning in my email I had a list of Staybridge Suites in the area we were travelling to, specific room types for my groups needs, prices and short reviews. Her email closed with "Let me know..and I will make the arrangements". WOW!
If your travelling to the Stone Oak area in San Antonio as a group, an individual, or a couple, I HIGHLY reccomend this hotel and Lynette. Awesome customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here August 13 thru August 16. There is terrible construction all around the area, and it is incredibly difficult to maneuver through the mess. The only helpful employee at this Staybridge Suites was Valerie. The rest were rude and unhelpful. I was so disappointed in this Staybridge Suites. First of all it's not in a good location as I mentioned due to the construction everywhere. Then there is no cleaning service on the weekend unless you specifically request the "light touch" cleaning. What a joke that was. I requested it, and all she did was take the trash out and put new towels in. She didn't do anything else, and the kitchen was not touched . There was mess all over the countertops. Then the staff is overall rude. My room was right by the pool, and it was so noisy. Kids were out there screaming until after 10 pm and I called the front desk 3 times, and they still did nothing. The woman in the breakfast room was rude as were the other front desk employees. I will never return to this Staybridge Suites EVER. I am appalled at the low level of customer service they provided except for Valerie. Even the owner seemed a bit unconcerned about my issues.

Room Tip: don't choose rooms by the pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Stone Oak, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Susan D,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am sorry you had a difficult time getting to our hotel due to the construction in the area. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your comments regarding housekeeping and the staff are very troubling, this will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We hope that you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This place is not only located just 7 miles off the airport, but also is near all the stores and food places. Yes it is 20 miles from the river walk, but the place is really beautiful. They have a very good pool and sauna and a good gym and all these are free when you stay. Also the Internet access is really fast and free too. The breakfast menu and sun down dinner menu is more american and Vegetarians will have a problem but others will enjoy it. Last not the least the staff there are the most friendlily of all you can fine. I love the team there and are ready to help you whenever you need.

Room Tip: Rooms that have a view of the pool are wonderful and also make sure you get this side as it gets rea...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

After checking in and getting our room me and my family took our lugged up to the room. I found the toilet looked like some guy urinated in the toilet and had horrible aim cause the toilet seat was all stained from his urine. I was pretty angry but my wife knows my temper so we went to the store and bought some bleach spray and we did our own cleaniing in the room. The traffic in the area is bad due to mega construction going on all around the area. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this dump.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Stone Oak, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Richard G - I apologize for the experience that you have had at our hotel. Please contact me directly at justin@abhhotels.com. I am trying to research your stay to be able to resolve the issues but we do not show any issues that were reported to the front desk. Obviously we would not want this issue ever to happen to anyone. Send me an email so that we may resolve your concerns.

Justin Holley General Manager
Elysian Fields, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Besides being a super value for the $ (no joke! best bang for your buck!)...the is something unique going on at this place. I spend so much time away from home but this place is the next best thing.
I am not sure why but when you are there, your stress level goes down and you feel a sense of...family? I am NOT the kind of guy who will hang out in the lobby. I go to my room and thats that. At this Staybridge though, I do actually sit in the lobby area (where they serve the buffet) and will watch TV or wonder on out to the huge back deck area.
The rooms are simply outstanding. If you have to stay for a few days you will be super comfortable. For the same money, you can stay in a typical box room elsewhere OR stay here and feel more like you are in a fresh, new studio apartment.
The buffet is not your typical gross-out. Breakfast is GREAT! Another real nice touch is that on weeknights, they have a small supper type buffet at no charge too. This means a lot to me since often I am tired and do not feel like leaving and fighting the rotten traffic in the area. I like the fact that at the end of a long work day I can just go "home".
I see all kinds of people there...biz guys like me, families, older folks- kind of a cross section of people. Everyone just seems to be happy here!
I hate the location of this place (access road) and all the heavy traffic on the loop but I always come back.
If you stay here, you will feel like your money was well spent. Oh, did I mention how nice all the staff are?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our first time at a Staybridge and we were completely spoiled. Only drawback...we were there on business and found we didn't want to leave the room or pool. Great rooms, great staff and great pool. Whirlpool was broken, but that didn't detract from the experience. Dan was awesome!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We transferred to San Antonio and needed to find a place that would provide benefits similar to apartment living and accept a cat while we waited to move into our new home We were at Embassy Suites for several weeks prior, but wanted a bigger kitchen and a more comfortable bed. After looking at several other long term stay options north of 410 along I-10, and in the "golden corridor", we settled on Staybridge Stone Oak.

Staybridge Suites became our new home for over two months. If you are looking for a hotel property as an alternative to S/T renting/corporate housing - read on.

PROS

The front desk people and maid personnel are outstanding. I never felt like I had to deal with anybody in a sour mood - even when I was complaining about something, which, over a two month period, is bound to happen. Issues were resolved quickly. The room itself was decorated very stylishly in neutral greens and browns, with granite counter-tops and stainless steel appliances. The bed was quite nice and firm. Perhaps not Hilton quality comfortable, but certainly not saggy or bouncy. The shower pressure and temps were outstanding.

The underground parking was well lit and safety never felt compromised. The morning breakfasts were pleasant enough, and the breakfast/eating areas are second to none. In fact, it was the common areas of the hotel that sold us on this location. The outdoor patio compares favorably to 4 star hotels: full of wicker loungers, umbrellas and there is even a firepit for late evening gatherings. Families, and some corporate training classes meeting at the hotel, brought picnic food and grilled outside on one of the gas grills. Inside the first floor common area, you'll find a quiet TV room with doors that can be drawn closed for privacy - you can even watch your own DVDs on the big screen lounging on very comfy sofas. We brought in pizza several times and had a very enjoyable evening in what felt like a den at home.

The laundry facilities are free for guests, and housed inside the fitness area. The arrangement makes it very easy to get in a workout while doing laundry. (There are only 3 washing machines though, and sometimes this could be an issue when people removed laundry that was sitting for long periods of time.)

Wireless internet was also included with our room. We set up a personal printer and, sometimes, people from other rooms would accidentally send their tickets/itineraries, etc., through our printer, which was kind of discomfiting.

This hotel is very close to some great restaurants - unfortunately, though, they are on the opposite side of the Loop, which required using the turnaround all of the time to get where we wanted to go - mostly west on Loop 1604. (We highly recommend Sushi Zushi near Stone Oak Parkway and Drew's American Grill when there is live music. Also try WildFish Seafood Grill on the south side of 1604. You must go to Pappacitos for Mexican food if you have never been there, but for something new try Tiaggo's Cabo Grill at the Rim. Have their Skinny Margarita, which tastes better than the full calorie one. For the best burritos in town, hit Habanero's Grill which is also located at the Rim.)

Speaking of driving -- I now turn to the biggest "con" of our stay - something that Staybridge has zero control over.

CONS

The current construction on Loop 1604 and 281 is a nightmare. Before you go, be sure to ask if plans are in place to shut down the access road or turnaround near the hotel. At times it took 30-40 minutes to exit at the Hollywood Park exit and drive the 1/2 mile or so to the hotel because either traffic was diverted off the Loop or off the access road or what have you, and cars were backed up for miles. I would look out my hotel window and see nothing but cars in standstill mode. Staybridge has no control over any of this - but you need to be aware that construction is going on right outside the hotel and it could be an issue for at least through the Summer 2012. Just this week I noticed that the turnaround at 281 was shut down - which would require a good bit of maneuvering to be able to go west on Loop 1604. Be aware before you go, ask questions - especially if you are easily bothered by traffic.

A secondary complaint also is no fault of the staff, but was a huge issue not just for us, but many of the travelers we met outside, trying to get cell phone reception. It is horrible, very bad, due to the fact that the hotel is built for quiet alongside its highway location. You'll get a quiet night of sleep, but good luck trying to get a cell phone signal. We gave up, essentially, and had to walk outside in the parking lot to talk on our phones. Since my husband was trying to conduct work, and participate in conference calls, this became our biggest aggravation. Calls were dropped, or our conversations faded in and out. It is my understanding that the hotel is very aware of this problem and they are looking into putting something in place to mitigate it -- but at the time of our departure it was still an issue. If you use your cell phone a lot -- be aware it could be a problem.

A third complaint has to do with dog owners who let their pets do stuff in the elevators and other places. Disgusting....it was worse on holidays. I would step out of the elevator to be greeted with puddles. Not cool - but again, not really the hotel's fault.

As someone who was a long-termer, I learned that if you stay longer than seven days you do not get daily room service in the way that you might expect. Your coffee is not replaced, nor is your toilet paper, etc. We had to go downstairs and ask for coffee packets for the in-room maker, or dish detergent so often we just went to the store and bought our own supplies. Which was for the best anyway as the soap that is provided for dish washing leaves white residue on all the utensils and I had to rewash by hand. If you stay longterm, full maid service is provided once a week. Sometimes the maid comes at 9:00 am and sometimes at 5:30pm, which is kind of hard to plan around.

A couple more things. The bed in the one bedroom suite is barely a foot from the dresser. It seemed closer and closer as time wore on.... way too small for moving around, Mr. Room Planner! (And I'm not a thick person.) At night, the proximity of the bed to the A/C was a big issue as the air would blow directly in my face. I just had to get used to it - the best way I found to counteract the cold air blowing right at me was to open the window at night. It was loud, and I could hear highway noise, but somehow it just was better.

Although the cons seem plentiful, all in all, I think this hotel was a great choice for us because it was a very attractive facility, and the staff was always willing to please. Kudos to Jason and George, at the front desk for being so accommodating to our many requests.

Room Tip: I think staying closer to the first floor is always a better choice -- some want so stay on the 5th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Staybridge Suites Stone Oak? Share your experiences!