“Excellent Hotel on the North Edge of Riverwalk” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
HHonors Weekend
Ranked #19 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Florida
“Excellent Hotel on the North Edge of Riverwalk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Nicole greeted us warmly for a friendly and efficient check-in. We thought the valet service got a little chaotic out front as we changed hands about 4 times during the unloading and check-in process. This was not a problem, per se, but it was a little disorienting as we were just getting acclimated to arriving in San Antonio.

We reserved a larger corner room which was quite spacious and well-amenitied. We also paid for a Premium room with access to drinks and snacks, but there's a Walgreen's nearby that you could use to stock up for less money. The hotel’s location on the Riverwalk is good, but it’s on the far northern edge of the main Riverwalk, so it does have a ‘sketchy’ feel to it in the evenings as there are very few people walking that far north. Note that we encountered NO issues with this, but we’re passing it along as FYI so that no one is surprised.

I have to commend the excellent full breakfast options every morning, including a complimentary made-to-order omelet bar. The Embassy Suites had the best breakfast options that I’ve encountered in a hotel in many years. Note that during our September stay, they kept the lobby and breakfast area VERY cold – so much so that we often would step outside before returning to our room just to warm up. :-) That said, we stepped inside many hotel lobbies along the Riverwalk and, in my opinion, the Embassy Suites lobby was by far the most expansive and welcoming.

Overall, this is a hotel we’d consider staying at again on a future San Antonio visit, but we’d most likely try something more centrally located on the Riverwalk next time.

Room Tip: If we had it to do over again, we would have chosen a higher floor and skipped the Premium room. Yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

779 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Phoenix, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Absolutely the rudest staff I have ever encountered. I for the life of me can't understand how 3 employees do not know how to reach the hotel from the 35. Our gps was not working and we were forced to call. was transferred to front desk and dealt with the rudest staff. The manager was no better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I am happy that you found the cleanliness and the location of the hotel were above average. I apologize for the challenges that you encountered while travelling to the hotel. I certainly understand how frustrating it can be to be in an unknown area and not be able to find your way. I have shared your feedback with our Front Office team so we may learn from the memory that we created. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us another opportunity to provide you the service experience you deserve.

Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I spent a week from 9/30/13-10/6/13 at this Embassy Suites Hotel for our anniversary. We were both greatly disappointed in this particular Embassy Suites.

1) The room (suite) was much smaller than depicted in the pictures on the website.
2) A two-block area on Soledad street leading to the hotel was filled with hobos, panhandlers, and thugs. Wife was vey frightened in this area.
3) Food preparation for the breakfast was available in two ways...dry eggs & very greasy bacon and sausage.
4) Manager's reception food lacked imagination...every night was like the movie 'Groundhog Day'.
5) Our' statement of charges' was incorrect...the October rate was changed in the computer but not reflected in our statement. On the elevator Sunday morning another guest said he was charged for 8 days of parking for a 3-day stay.
6) Both tvs in the suite were malfunctioning and losing the signal for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so, tough to watch any show, much less, a baseball or football game. We notified the desk and were told that the Engineering Dept. would check it out, however, it was not resolved.
7) $27.00 per day for parking plus $2.23 sales tax equaled $29.23 per day...OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
8) $33.00 per day State, City, and County sales tax, plus parking expense, resulted in our $184.00 room rate actually being $246.00 per night.

Loved San Antonio...but, Embassy Suites not so much!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the property. We strive to provide our guests with an exceptional experience at the hotel and I apologize that we failed to achieve that goal during your stay with us. We typically receive great feedback from our guests regarding our suites as well as our complimentary cooked to order breakfast and evening reception and I am sorry that these aspects of your stay were not to your liking. As our goal is to create exceptional experiences I have shared your feedback with members of my management team so we may learn from your comments. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Upon arriving in the room, there was a dirty rag on the vanity in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it was from the housekeeping staff or a previous guest. I put it in the hall and it was gone in the morning. In addition to the rag, there were stains on the bed sheets. The TV in the bedroom was not working. I pulled out the dresser and found the cable was not connected to the TV. After plugging it in, it worked. The AC unit in the bedroom was extremely loud. Wifi in the suite was horrible - basically useless. The signal would drop every 3 minutes and disconnect you from the internet. This happened on 3 wifi devices the entire stay - it was not an issue with the device - it was a wifi issue. All in all, the hotel was sufficient, but I was expecting more from an Embassy property in such a high profile location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at our hotel. I certainly apologize for the challenges that you encountered with both the cleanliness and condition of your suite during your stay. Our objective is to be part of a great memory of time spent in San Antonio and I apologize that we failed to create that exceptional experience for you. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional product and service I know we are capable of providing.

Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hotel is your typical Embassy Suites, friendly staff, large rooms, and free breakfast. My issue was placing room service and having my order lost. When I called to check on it at 10:30 they acknowledged losing it and offered to cook our dinner if we wanted to wait an additional hour. Seems like if you have lost an order you would offer to get it replaced as soon as possible. No way a steak and kids meal should take that long.

We got dressed and went to Luke's were they were happy to seat us even though it was a few minutes before closing. The food was excellent.

Breakfast was below par for an Embassy Suites. They failed twice to cook eggs properly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience with us. I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly, the suites to clean and spacious, and the dining experience in LUKE to be excellent. I am disappointed in the experience that you had with your room service order. Our objective is to execute all of the aspects of a stay that work together to create a great experience and I apologize that we failed to do that during your stay with us. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Temple, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My exeprience here was wonderful. The breakfast and evening social exceeded my expectiations. Real hot food with a large selection. The location is on the river walk but not close to the noise. My rooms are all wonderful and the meeting layout was great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I am quite a fan of Embassy Suites hotels, and this one didn't disappoint. The location is excellent, within walking distance of Riverwalk restaurants and the Alamo. Suites are spacious, if a little dated, and since I had a bit of a bug whilst I was there I had the opportunity to spend a little more time testing the comfortable bed than I would have liked.The inclusive breakfast was good, although the breakfast area was a bit of a zoo at peak times. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Embassy Suites Riverwalk? Share your experiences!