“Love the Staff, but room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars
Review of TownePlace Suites San Antonio Downtown

Save Saved
You added TownePlace Suites San Antonio Downtown to your Saves list
TownePlace Suites San Antonio Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   409 E. Houston Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Love the Staff, but room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

The following is an email I sent to the Manager of this hotel in response for feedback after my stay.

I am very satisfied with your staff (Victoria and Hector, for example, were awesome) which anticipated needs before I could ask for them. The night I checked in I came to the realization that I had booked the wrong days, but Victoria quickly made the adjustment and even tried to meet my profile preferences. I'm thankful for that 'cause she could've simply given me whatever was most convenient. Hector seemed to always know when I needed my vehicle and even provided tips to get around the area easier. The lady that does the breakfast area was very attentive and my room, albeit did not have a view like I would like, was very inviting and cozy. There is, however, room for improvement. The lights in my room were not working properly (rm #). I didn't notice it at first and it did not interfere with my stay, but it did surprise me. Your breakfast offerings seem too modest for a hotel located in prime real estate. Your staff makes up for it with great attitude, but I wouldn't mind paying a dollar or two more to get a more substantial breakfast that actually beats the competition, not match it.

I do plan to return to your hotel early next year, for I see it as the best option for that area. You are located in the middle of everything and that makes staying there a great proposition that I cannot resist. Besides, I loved your staff.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a view of San Antonio, make sure to mention that when you make your reservati...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just stayed here with my husband and our dog. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. They were friendly and attentive. The room we stayed in was perfect. Very comfortable and well appointed. They offer free wifi and complimentary breakfast. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone wanting a reasonable priced hotel with a friendly staff in a great location.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Arrival experience: Arrived around 8:00 on a Monday morning. The front desk staff went the extra mile and asked me whether I’d like to check in. The only room available was 112, a room equipped for the disabled. I accepted the room so that I could securely store my bags.

Room (general): Overall the room is modern and well made. Kitchenette had all the essentials (microwave, stove top, refrigerator, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, plates, cups, cutlery…). Good sized and functional desk. Large flat screen LG TV. However, I don’t recommend room 112. First, it was dusty, which tells me it’s not occupied regularly. Second, the room’s windows face the back alley, and a delivery truck woke me up in the middle of the night. Don’t stay in this room unless you’re a deep sleeper.

Bathroom: Good size, but disability options reduced counter space. The shower is wheelchair accessible but allows water to go all over the place. The shower controls were broken, but I managed to fiddle with them and get them to work.

Bed: Good bed.

Houskeeping: This room needed a good dusting. Otherwise, housekeeping was average.

Restaurants: n/a The free breakfast in the morning is minimal. I stay at this hotel about 3 times a year, and on this visit during spring break the staff could not keep up with the demand for food. On the second morning the breakfast buffet ran out of yogurt.

Bar: n/a - Free happy hour (beer and wine) during the week. Snacks are minimal (chips and salsa and mix of bar crackers/pretzels).

Grounds: n/a – This is a city hotel with no “grounds” to stroll.

Pool: Tiny pool in center courtyard.

Staff attitude/service: Welcoming and very service oriented.

Perks for status: Platinum gift/points offered at check-in.

Parking: Efficient valet.

Misc: Small but gym on-site with good equipment. No bad porter is available. Be prepared to lug your luggage but luggage carts were available. Also, there’s a small “pantry” store in the lobby with snacks available for sale.

Room Tip: Beware rooms that have windows on the back alley. Delivery trucks in the middle of the night make fo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Castroville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a nice surprise! We previously stayed at this property in April 2012.
We were so disappoineted. Checkin was a nightmare! Hotel front desk was apathetic.
The hotel hotel lobby was not well kept. Although, the room was excellent.

WOW! We stayed again on 8/17 it was like a different property!
Valets were great . Checkin was perfect.
I would recommend this property for a great stay downtown. Location is convenient.
Great improvement !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sachse, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Everything was great: Location, cleanliness, service, breakfast! // Close enough to The River Walk to be right next to the action without the cost. One block from the Alamo. Front service desk personel were quite friendly and helpful with anything we needed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

First things first, the location is fantastic. You are close enough to The River Walk to be right next to the action, but far enough away to not pay the premium of a river front location. Excellent restaurants, entertainment, shopping, and The Alamo are just blocks away in a very walkable city.
The pictures on Marriott’s website are true to life. The lobby is very welcoming and comfortable. They’ve designed the hotel with a courtyard and small pool, which is nice. The biggest surprise was the breakfast selection. I was expecting a simple breakfast. Instead I was greeted with the smell of make-your-own waffles and other hot, goodies. In addition there is a wide selection of the traditional cold items.
The rooms are large and fairly clean. There is a very nicely equipped kitchen. For our two night stay we never had use for such a luxury. One downside was that there was no in-room safe, which we typically like to use.
Parking is a little tricky. It’s valet only, which is $24/day, and there are only three spots out front of the hotel. Of our three days in San Antonio, we had to circle the block a few times to wait for a spot to open up. Because your car is parked in a different location, it takes a little while for valet to retrieve your car. But if you plan ahead, it’s a fairly minor inconvenience.
I’m starting to wonder if we are magnets for noisy neighbors. We had another perfectly nice hotel room in which we got poor sleep. All because we could hear the TV of tenants next door every night. And those people watched a heck of a lot of late-night TV. The room across from us had a small dog which was very vocal about his displeasure of being left alone all day.
Overall we found the hotel to be above average. Our poor luck with noisy neighbors is certainly no fault of the hotel. The major pros of the location and spacious, well-appointed rooms far outweigh the petty inconveniences. As avid Spurs fans we visit San Antonio often for playoff games. We’ve never stayed in the same hotel twice. The TownePlace Suites might very well see us again next playoff season.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our stay at TownePlace Suites Downtown was very pleasant! We arrived at a late hour and had some hitches but Victoria at your front desk went out of her way to make our stay enjoyable. It is people like her and her attitude towards customers that make us feel welcome. Even our dog Twinkie had a memorable birthday and enjoyed the attention she got.

Room Tip: Just remember you have to walk a bout a block to "walk" your dog at the Travis Park. But i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites San Antonio Downtown? Share your experiences!