“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come on down (way down) at the largest underground attraction in Texas! Daily guided tours allow guests to explore large underground chambers and see huge formations. The largest room is bigger than a football field. Above ground, discover rocks, minerals, and rough-cut gems at the Natural Bridge Mining Company Sluice. The Canopy Challenge will test your agility on over 40 different obstacles while you are on our 4 story, 60 foot high Adventure Course. Then you can fly across the scenic Texas Hill Country on our zip-lines! (Canopy Challenge is open daily but weather dependent.)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The cave itself is amazing. A natural wonder that should be seen if you have the time.

Staff left a lot to be desired though. When we purchased our ticket I was told that strollers were discouraged in the cave. The person who sold the ticket said it was steep and it would be easier just to let my son walk. My son is only 18 months old. I asked if we could still take the stroller and was told we could but that it would make the trip more difficult. That was my decision to make so we elected to use the stroller.

When we arrived to the entrance we were told to wait and they gave us some rules. After that you start on a steep incline about 50 feet to a gate where an employee taking tickets told us we could NOT take the stroller. I explained to him that we were told it was at our discretion. He said he was told to tell everyone that no strollers were allowed. I had to return back to the parking lot to put the stroller back into my vehicle.

The Discovery tour is sold as self paced, however they make you stop every 100 feet or so. This is so a high school aged tour guide can yell over the rest of the crowd to explain what you are looking at. Being spring break the place was packed. The places we were forced to stop were very inconvenient to a large group. If you got stuck in the back you could not hear what anyone was saying anyway.

Visited March 2013
erin_nbc, Manager at Natural Bridge Caverns, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you enjoyed the beauty of the caverns, but I am sorry other parts were not as enjoyable. During our busy times of year the Discovery Tour is offered as a self-paced tour. Most of the year the guests go in groups with the same guide leading them through the Cavern tour.
I apologize for the miscommunication from our staff about the stroller and it is something we will re-visit with them. We do not recommend strollers on the Discovery Tour because the trails are steep, wet, narrow and winding and there are some sections of stairs. Guests end up carrying both the child and the stroller. Some strollers simply will not fit in the Cavern. These generally include the nicer, larger strollers that do not fold umbrella style or are made to accommodate more than one child.
I do hope if you are ever in the area again you will give us another try to provide you with a better customer experience. Thank you.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
7 attraction reviews
“Very nice stop.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stopped here on our way to a quick San Antonio trip and just did the Discovery tour. The tour was nice and very interesting. The path can be slippery so wear shoes with traction. The tour guides along the way had good information. Definitely want to take one of my brothers here when he and his family come to visit.

Sydney ns
5 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The caverns were magnificent, I was very impressed by what I seen and the depth at which we went underground. Their were tour guides posted at regular intervals to update you with your surroundings.

Olathe, Kansas
6 attraction reviews
“Natural Bridge Caverns, SA TX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Discovery Tour at the Natural Bridge Caverns was great! My husband, my 11 yr old, my 6 yr old and my sister all visited. The tour was really cool and allowed plenty of time to take photos of the amazing rock formations. There was a lot of walking up and down through the caves but the handrail and walking paths were clearly marked and available. The tour guide did a great job of explaining the history of the caves and what we were looking at. I would reccommend this tour.

Hutchinson, Minnesota
“Zip lines are a joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

18 dollars for about 350 feet and about 50 feet high.Once we got thru the lines {30 min} the zip line lasted about 5 min.
The caverns are worth the money great sites alot of up and downs a good work out.