“BEAUTIFUL RESORT!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Central Nebraska
“BEAUTIFUL RESORT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

This place is amazing! I was with my husband at a convention, so there were fun activities planned as well as meetings. The cab ride from the airport was $40 (without tip). It is away from everything- so unless you have a car- it would get very expensive to go many places from the resort. The pool was great as there was a quiet adult only pool for those of us with out kids. It was an infinity pool that overlooked the golf course. It was a huge waterpark, but didn't have your normal big waterpark feel. It was more "disguised". Some other ladies and I did the lazy river a few times and had a very enjoyable time. The food at the restaurants was pretty good- a little expensive- but normal for a resort of that type. Our meal at our banquet was the best "banquet" food we had ever had.
If you want to experience downtown San Antonio/Riverwalk then you would probably want to stay closer to that area. We went on a convention provided shuttle one night and it was a long trip to get to the Riverwalk. If you want to enjoy all the amenities of the resort -golf courses, spa, water park, etc and not worry about going shopping or other places, then I would highly recommend this place. Only complaint:- they kept the meeting rooms SO COLD!!! I don't think anyone enjoyed the ladies luncheon that much because it was about 50 degrees in the room and we were all wrapping the cloth napkins around our arms. My husband complained also about the temperature in his meeting rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

1,156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Just got back from family vacation over July 4 weekend. We loved the resort but here are some helpful hints for both guests and the hotel.

Parking: Self-park is an uphill walk but not that far. Plus it's free vs. $25 for valet. Drop bags off up at top though.

Check-in: Be patient if you arrive on Friday afternoon as lobby is crazy but pretty efficient. Helpful employees opened doors and direct us to best check-in although they didn't help us open doors when we were checking out.

Pool and spa: The water park is amazing. It was crowded but we knew that would be the case on a holiday weekend. We were told more chairs being ordered. Until then, they need to have a rule like other resorts were you can only hold your chairs for an hour if not being used. Spa is an A+ but make sure to book appointments as far in advance as you can. The spa pool is ultra quiet and where I would be if I wasn't with my famiy.

Restaurants: Cibolo Moon is the best option for families as it has a big kid's menu. Not impressed with hostess as we were told it was a 45 minute wait on Friday even though restaurant was half full. When pushed she said they had tables with tall chairs and outside available. We said fine and were seated immediately. If 18 Oaks restaurant (next to golf pro shop) is having a breakfast buffet, go there. Amazing views and more individualized service.

Hotel: The hotel is huge but outside of walk to 18 Oaks we walked very little as the way cool and comfortable lobby, the pool, Cibolo Moon and our room where all withing a couple hundred yards. Kid's activities were great so research those before you arrive. Disappointed they didn't do smores outside as rain had stopped (everyone we asked had a different answer when we asked if it was cancelled or not) but enjoyed the activities they moved to a conference room.

Rooms: The standard rooms are not very big but have nice amenities. We loved the mini-fridge and the outlet strip to plug in all of our phones and computers however in our room power to the strip went out when we turned off the light. FAIL. The noise level was same as other hotels. When people were loud in the hallways you heard them but otherwise our room was very quiet.

Overall it was a great stay-cation and we'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Katy, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

The resort is very large, over 1000 rooms, great pools, slides, lazy river, kid splash area. We spent most of our time at the pools. Rooms are nicely decorated and very comfortable. Staff was well accommodating, we have a 8 month old and were offered many times to have a pack and play brought to the pool for us. Food was average for a resort, pool side service was quick and friendly. My only complaint is that there are not enough pool side chairs for guest. I looked out my window at 6:30 am and saw many people rushing down to the pool to put towels on chairs to reserve and then go back up their rooms. We would go down to the pool around 10:30 am and find no chairs. Overall very nice, 3 yr old had a blast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I only spent one night there. So, I did not get to enjoy the water slides and pools. So, I can not give a valid review on that part. However, the resort looks like hawaiian resorts with water slides, lazy river, several pools, several bars&restaurants ,golf course and lots of greens and more( for an extra fee!). The room was descent but very expensive for a regular room with a king size bed($450+/night) and there was a resort fee on top of that.
Positives: Nice resort amenities, quiet room w/ new furniture, close to airport($30-$35 cap ride)
Negatives: Far from river walk and major attractions, overpriced, convention Hotel

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

With reservations in hand, I went the this hotel for a tour and to confirm that this indeed was the right place for a ladies group weekend. The help at the desk was disinterested in showing me around and insisted that I make an appointment with the business center on a later date. I requested a map. The map was limited in it's detail. I requested access to have a look at the adult pool and was denied a look, stating that it was a liability for me to have a walk around the pool area. ("?") I asked to have a look at the rooms and the desk help stated that the web site was true to what it looks like and was not given access to have a look. Asked to have a look at the Spa and he pointed in a general direction and failed to mention that it was in a separate building. Once there we were impressed with the welcome and ease of information that the people at the Spa desk provided. My husband and I were baffled. We mentioned that there was another hotel I was considering to use instead that I truly also have reservations for and would like to make a determination that evening and the front desk help just stared at me. We went to the gate to peer into the family pool area and the gate keeper was knitting. Yes, the lazy river and slide are impressive. Could not see the adult area. Sat in to lobby area, noisy with a feeling to high energy (great energy for kids) but to give credit the waitress ask if we needed anything right away. Even so, I have proceeded to cancel with JW and kept our reservation at Weston La Cantera in San Antonio whom are welcoming in informing me of a full experience down to the right time an place to be for an evening dinner sunset and a room facing night fireworks. Thanks Weston for help our girls weekend reunion be a wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
houston, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

My friend had some business to attend in San Antonio, so I just tagged along for the fun of it. We stayed 2 nights (June 29 to July 1), and the room faced the pool. To summarize… the place was gigantic! The hotel compound was sprawling, and the hallways and archways looked like they were designed for giants. Essentailly, the hotel offers a high priced diversion for the widows and orphans of well-to-do golfers.

The positives… the service was good. The grounds and rooms were immaculate. The food was good. And the pool/water park… jeez, it probably has its own zip code as it was so big.

The negatives… not many really. Everything was expensive, but if you are concerned with that maybe you should stay somewhere else. Also, they served Pepsi at the self serve soda fountain at the pool, but you can get Coke at the bar. Parking was an issue, so use the valet if you can afford it.

Like I said, my stay at the resort was a fluke. I went with a friend because I didn’t have anything better to do for those three days. I don’t play golf and I don’t have kids, so I doubt that I will ever stay there again. But, if you love golf and you want to bring your family along and you can afford it, give it a shot. The place was quite impressive.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I was a little leary on bringing young kids to what i had pictured as a hotel for adults. Upon arrival i was very suprised to see that every employee we ran into was kid friendly from the bellmen all the way up to the management staff. We stay for 3 nights, and enjoyed every second of it. The hotel is a little bit out of the beaten path but its well worth the trip. I have already highly recommended this hotel to our family and friends

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!