“Not ready for a big meeting” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Chicago
“Not ready for a big meeting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was very underwhelmed by my experience at the JW Marriott. I was there staffing a 900-person meeting and they were not ready for us. They are still going through too many growing pains. A few examples... pre-event contact with our conference services manager was spotty and infrequent. There are no garbage cans anywhere in the meeting space. There is no signage pointing to the fitness center (I had to ask 4 different hotel staff for directions). Twice when I asked hotel staff for directions to a certain part of the property I was told they did not know how to direct me because they had not been to that part of the hotel (they've been open for 2 full months!). Room service is a disaster area. I know of at least 4 people from our group whose orders were not handled properly, and the food was NOT good. They gives local produce and organic cuisine a bad name. The walls are paper thin in the guest rooms. The carpet in the meeting space is about the most unattractive I have seen. When checked in, they never confirmed my check-out date. The wireless Internet is not consistent. One of our VIP's was never told at check-in that her room was a suite, nor was she provided the extra keys for it. The front desk called the night before she was checking out to see if she was planning to use the other half of her suite because they were sold-out. Finally, our top VIP client had to wait until mid-afternoon for maid service and then housekeeping left his food service items on the dining table - FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE.

It was nice to have a Starbucks and FedEx Office on property.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
dfw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I read previous reviews and agree with most of them. JW was not prepared for SpringBreak. Georgous resort, with amazing pool and golf courses. Kids loved the game room and fitness center. Nice outdoor areas with fireplaces and rock formations.
You know that when you stay at a hotel like this food and drinks will be a little pricey. However very little quality went along with that. Staff was so new and slow. I'm sure the staff will get it together very soon. Seemed very corporate too. It was a mix of families and business men. I would stay here again, but leave the hotel to eat. I also seen people with small coolers at the pool...good idea, just no glass.

The Woodlands, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

March 19-21
Rm 3367
We are Marriott Gold Card Members & have stayed at many different Marriotts all over the world. I looked forward to this spring break getaway with my family(kids ages 8,6, and 1) and had high hopes that this would be a place that we would want to visit annually.

I will start with the positive. This hotel is gorgeous! The rooms are fantastic with great bedding and beautiful oversized bathrooms. The views are magnificent. The heated pools and waterpark are just perfect for families.

Upon arrival, we were told that our room was not ready and our luggage would be stored for us so we could go and explore the resort. They would make our room a "priority" for the cleaning staff and contact us as soon as it was ready. At this point, we assumed it would be in the next 30 minutes. I was already upset about this because I have an infant who hadn't had a nap all day long and was almost in "meltdown" mode. I asked them if they could just put us in a room that was ready and he said that he couldn't. "It shouldn't be long." Exploring the resort was fine for about 30 minutes. My two girls, ages 8 and 6, were looking in the gates at the pool feeling horrible that we couldn't put on our bathing suits and swim. We literally watched all of the other families having fun while our luggage was stored and we just waited...and waited....and waited. Three trips to the front desk and THREE hours later, I was extremely upset.

Not planning for a three hour wait for a room, the food for my baby, his diapers, all of the bathing suits for the children, and everything that we needed was being stored while we just continued to be put off by the front desk staff and told that our room was made a priority. This is not what we are used to experiencing from Marriott! My children rode in a car for 3 1/2 hours just to get to the resort to wait another three. I was nearly in tears at hour 1.5 and just completely lost it after that.

FINALLY get checked in and spend the rest of the NIGHT, because it was almost night time by the time we got our room and luggage, at the pool/lazy river. I ordered dinner for the kids from the pool bar and they liked the chicken fingers and fries. The pool staff was friendly and they served us within twenty minutes.

That night, we get all of the kids to sleep, my husband and I fall asleep and there is a loud knock on our door at 10:00 p.m. I RUN to the door, so they don't wake up my children, and look through the peep hole and it was a staff member. I open the door to see what is going on, thinking it must be an emergency for them to be knocking on my door so late, and the guy asks if we needed any trash to be thrown away or needed any extra towels. I said, "No thank you." however, I was really thinking, "UUUmmmmmm, actually we do, but I'm not letting you in here when my entire family is asleep." The entire situation freaked me out a little. I've never had a staff member knocking on my door for anything unless I requested it other than regular maid service during daylight hours. It made me feel very vunerable as if he had other intentions. Really creepy...

The wait for room service was 45 minutes or longer. The theme for our weekend was "wait". There was a long wait to get a table at a restaurant. Actually, there was a long wait for any type of service.There are a lot of members of the staff walking around the resort, but no one ever offered us assistance.

For instance, I walked outside to meet my husband who had pulled the truck up for us. I am carrying a baby, diaper bag, and have two other children walking on the side of me. There are FOUR bellman standing RIGHT NEXT to our Tahoe and not one person offered assistance as I struggled to open the door for my children without dropping everything that I was carrying. My husband saw what was happening and got out of the car to help us when there were FOUR bellman standing right next to us doing absolutely nothing. One of the guys waved at us smiling as we drove away.

I really feel like they have good intentions, but they just don't know what to do. I know this is a new hotel and many of the staff OBVIOUSLY have not ever worked in this industry before so they are apparently not aware of what is expected when you are staying at a nice resort. I feel that the staff needs a lot of direction in learning how to make it FEEL like a nice resort instead of just looking like one. There were many many staff members standing around smiling and not doing anything. They were so sweet and friendly, which makes it hard to write this review, but being friendly and being helpful are just entirely different.

The day of checkout, we called for a luggage cart at 10:20 a.m. At 11:15 a.m., I am just done and call down to the front desk to find out what the deal is and why no one ever showed up. She informed me that they were SLAMMED with checkout and they were doing their best to get to everyone. They are apparently grossly understaffed. We carried everything down ourselves, including my son's graco pack and play, and were not surprised that when we go to the lobby, 80% of the other guests were overloaded carrying their luggage just like us. My husband had to go back up twice since there were no carts available. One of the bellman saw us and apparently felt sorry for us as I was overloaded with luggage & a baby, and my kids could barely balance with their luggage and pillows. As we were walking out of the door, he TRIED to open the door for us and his hand SLIPPED right as my son and I walk through letting the door slam us in the face. I felt really sorry for the guy because he was obviously trying to help, but again, needs A LOT OF TRAINING in this area. It just added insult to injury.

Some of the experiences that we have had have just never happened to us in our entire lives and the fact that the resort itself is so extremely beautiful and fabulous is just heartbreaking. Any of these incidents isolated(aside from check-in) would not have been a big deal, but combine them all(in addition to the ones that I have left unmentioed), it just ruined our experience. My husband, who is usually extremely optimistic, never wants to return.

I write this review as a business owner. If my staff were this inexperienced and my clients were receiving the type of service that would make a man feel so strongly as to NEVER return again under any circumstance, I would definitely want to know about it. Marriott, please bring in some EXTENSIVE TRAINING for these people. There are A LOT of kinks to be worked out before this resort lives up to it's potential.

Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Property: Impressive build out and landscaping. Vast, wide open views. Beautiful golf course. Sits on a majestic hill top (to keep it breezy in the summer!) This resort does not even come close to being in the same league as the yucky Hyatt Hill Country or dull La Cantera. I would dare to say that this JW San Antonio Hill Country resort property (and its price) remind me of a Ritz Carlton except a little more crowded with less trained, less snooty staff with a more casual and comfortable vibe. It accomodates masses of people.

Room: Spacious, nice views, balconies, well appointed bathroom, good coffee setup. Totally sound proofed. Great beds, bedding, ample bath linens and flat screen tv. Tasteful and traditional hill country decor. Good variety room service menu with healthy kids menu options (like grilled chicken breast with broccoli or apple sauce and also non-healthy stuff like burgers and chx strips).

Pool area: Heated to a nice 86 degress, well staffed with lots of seating. We didn’t get to swim because it was freezing cold and windy, but we were blown away by the water slides and the lazy river. The pool area for small children looked like a blast. Another big plus is the completely separate adult pool.

Don't go with a chip on your shoulder. Expect to pay a lot and be a part of the masses. Enjoy the incredible furnishings and decor! Not everything is perfect. The food was delicious, but be prepared to wait a long time for the breakfast buffet. Everyone was cranky about this wait, but in the end, the abundant, fresh food was worth it. We did not get turn down service though I saw that the maid was on our floor. Oh, and the driving directions on my iphone and from the website were incorrect taking us on a detour through the nearby neighborhoods before finding the resort.

Insider tip: I think this resort would be ideal for your tween/ teen with a friend to hang out with. Call and book a room near the pool on the first floor. The balconies here walk out to the grassy area near the pool bypassing the walk through the lobby with your swim gear. T(w)eens will like the game room and ping pong tables and the independece to roam the safe resort grounds. GO!!!

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

This was the "Grand Opening" weekend, it was anything but grand. The hotel staff was not very customer focused and they were overwhelmed. The beds in the rooms are horrible. The staff was rude. The room temperature was uncomfortable, and when we left on Sunday, not one person offered to help with our luggage. When I checked out, the girl did not even bother to ask how our stay was, most likely a good thing she did not. I will never go back to this hotel again. You could not pay me to stay here. You are going to have a real problem with this hotel….too many rooms and not enough restaurants, pools, and staff, to take care of your guests.

Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My wife and I always take our young children to either, The Westin La Cantera, The Ritz in Miami or The Ritz in Scottsdale, during spring break. We heard mixed reviews on this hotel but wanted to try it out because of the pools for the kids and the supposedly great service.
For starters when i made the reservation and I asked for a double and we got a king with a fold out. We were told that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing they could do for us. I decided to ignore this and not let it interfere with our stay but little did i know it was the beginning of one of the worst hotel experiences ever.
The pools were great and there was an abundance of activities for our young children but the staff was HORRIBLE. One hour wait for two margaritas, had to get them myself on the second round. Staff was not helpful whatsoever and you had to get your own chairs from plastic bags that were laying next to the grass. On various occasions We complained to staff and management and we were told "please have patience, we did not expect to be this busy." Seriously...
We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant Cibolo and I will stop short here and just say don't waste your money or time. 1 hour wait and another 30 minutes after we were seated to get drinks and food just not up to par. On the second night we did risk it and decided to head outside the hotel for dinner. Plenty of better choices just minutes away. McDonalds , Whataburger, papajohns pizza...
On our last night at the hotel the temperatures in San Antonio dropped significantly and we called room service for extra blankets. Three calls and two hours later they showed up with one blanket as thin as a sheet.
Overall our stay was very disappointing and from talking to other guests that we befriended during our stay it appeared that the feelings were commonly shared amongst many guests at the hotel.
I would like to point out that one of the bartenders was extremely nice and made good margaritas at the main hotel bar. Also the Valet was helpful and fast, room service was efficient and well trained. The starbucks coffee bar was probably the best service and product around that hotel. Never staying here again. I hope this review helps you.

San Angelo Tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

After staying at La Cantera 3 nights my husband and I were very disappointed in JW. Beautiful property but terrible service and food. Waited 1 hour for room service and thefood was cold and Chardonnay warm. Excuse was everything was so crazy because Mr. Marriott wason property. Excuse me? It all shouldhave been topnotch then. You may have the Valero Open but the food and service need help. Will stay at La Cantera anytime over JW. Same amenities, but better service, food, and golf is just as good, maybe better because of the great staff. Get your staff trained and work on a restaurant or lounge for adults only

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!