“Incredible Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 351 hotels in San Antonio
Johnson City, Texas
“Incredible Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had a slumber party for my daughter's birthday at the Hill Country JW Marriott, on her request (I had stayed here for a conference earlier in the year). I reserved a room with Marriott Points and called the concierge desk. From that point forward, I was never less than ultra-impressed with the personal service we received every step of the way.

My family and my daughter's friends were treated to excellent service from: 1) the concierge desk, who upgraded our room to a large suite and showed genuine interest in our good time; 2) the food and beverage staff, who prepped cupcakes and a fruit arrangement as birthday gifts; 3) the pool staff, who were always close by yet never overbearing; 4) the front desk, allowing a very late check-out and rearranging cleaning schedules to fit our birthday festivities; and finally the parking and bell staffs, who were great in helping with luggage, six rollaway beds, and cars. Just a tour de force--I can't imagine better service at any property.

Of course, being a new JW Marriott, the rooms were awesome, the common areas were super-clean, and the restaurants and bars were great. In short this is as good a family hotel as any I've stayed at, anywhere. This hotel is easy to recommend.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a golf view suite--very roomy with a huge (say, 10'x30') patio. The roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

1,174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I just spent the weekend here for a romantic getaway. The resort was beautiful and so relaxing. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out, everyone treated us with the utmost professionalism. We bought a package that included 9 holes of golf for one each day and a 50 min spa treatment for one each day. The TPC golf courses are beautiful and in great shape. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his golf rounds each day. I rode with him the first day to see the course. It was the Canyons course and it was cart path only because they were getting the course ready for the upcoming AT&T Schwab Cup tournament.
I used the magnificent spa for a full body aromatherapy massage and a custom cleansing facial.
Our package included breakfast for 2 each day. We ate the Cibolo Moon restaurant each day. Their breakfast buffet was delicious and had more food choices than anyone could ever want or need. Lots of homemade jams, jellies, rolls, biscuits, and sweet rolls. We also ate lunch one day at the Cibolo Moon and it was also delicious. Each time we dined with them, the wait staff was very attentive to our wants/needs. We had excellent service each and every time we were there.
We enjoyed a very nice dinner at the 18 Oaks steakhouse on property. They went above and beyond in taking care of us during our lovely dinner. It was expensive but not too much higher than any other well known steakhouse.
The resort has a fantastic pool area with large water slides, a lazy river around the entire pool area. There is also an all adult pool/hot tub area which is nice when you don't have kids or want to be splashed by kids in the pool. We didn't get a chance to visit the pool for any length of time due to the cloudy weather but it looked very inviting.
When we checked in, we asked for an upgrade and were given a suite that was beyond our expectations. We had a walkout patio right on the first hole on one of the golf courses.
We even had a "first" happen while we were there. The first morning I made the bed and when we returned to the room from breakfast, there was a note on the bed from the housekeeper thanking me for making her job so easy. She made my day because I made hers! It was very nice.
We will definitely stay here again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: The walkout balconies give you more options for sitting outside in the cool of the evening. We loved...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spent 3 nights at the JW Marriott San Antonio, there for a conference. This is a very large and very nice hotel. The convention center is large with breakout rooms and two large ballrooms. There were other meetings going on at the same time, but there was plenty of room for all. The hotel is located in far north San Antonio, about a 40 minute drive from the central River Walk area. I wish I had come a bit early in the season so I would have had the opportunity to use the water slide. It was closed. There is a nice lazy river and a pool with lots of deck area for lounging. Although I did see some folks out during the day, it was a bit cool for me.
My room was quite comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the front lawn. The bathroom had a seperate shower and tub, very nice amenities, and a make-up mirror. I paid a nominal fee for the internet access which worked quite well in my room, but did not work in the convention center.
The catered meals we had in conjunction with the convention were delicious and very well presented. The snacks were not just the usual fruit and cookies. Some of the options we had through the convention were yogurt with toppings, ice cream bars, marshmellow krispy treats, brownies, granola bars, and fruit and cookies. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.
One downside - the direct TV reception was spotty at times.

Room Tip: The resort is large. Have a idea of where you will spend the most time and ask for a room in that a...
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

From the "special" greeting as we entered the lobby by Devon till we left five days later, the level of service exceeded all expectations. Although I was there for a conference, we took advantage of the Spa and both TPC courses. My wife loved the spa (she is an experienced Spa ster). Played both TPC courses which were well groomed and playable.
We ate at 18 Oaks and Cibolo Moon; both very good.
The filet at 18 Oaks was cooked to absolute perfection, good wine; Cibolo Moon served up an incredible breakfast buffet. Whether you were a fried eggs and bacon or a smoked salmon and fresh fruit, they had it covered.
We have been fortunate to stay a lot of great places around the world. Without exception the overall level of service at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill was tops! We will be back!

Room Tip: No bad rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gap, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference. The Resort is only 2 1/2 years old and is beautifully decorated. It has an 18 hole golf course and lovely pool area (with a "lazy river" all the way around it for tubing & some huge water slides). I heard that the Spa is wonderful, however I didn't have any time to spend in it. The rooms are quite large with high ceilings, crown moulding and are very tastefully decorated in what I would call "texas sourthwest". There is a 40" flatscreen HDTV, a large desk with an office chair for computer use, plus a separate couch, chair and ottoman. There is also a refrigerator and coffee maker. The bathroom is huge with a separate shower and soaking tub. I could tell they believe in good customer service, as everyone smiles, says hello and opens doors for you. This is a HUGE resort. Over 1000 rooms with tons of meeting/conference space. Nice dining options too. Room service was great! It is well suited for vacations or conferences/conventions. Something for everyone of every age there.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a company conference here recently and I was very impressed with this J.W. Marriott site. The grounds are lovely and amenities are really great. Although I could not get a room with a king bed, everything else that I wanted was there . Fridge in the room, safe for your laptop and valuables, spacious bathroom with tub and walk-in shower, robe, etc
The conference facilities are very spacious. We had a very large group with lots of break-out sessions and everything was very convenient to the hotel. There is free self-parking for hotel guests...had I known this, i would have rented a car. The hotel is far away from anything and a car would have made me feel less isolated. The health club is very nice, although I thought it could have been a bit bigger. I'm not a golfer but the golf course looked really great. There is a full Starbucks in the hotel with lots of tables inside and outside.

The Marriott staff here were wonderful. From check-in to room service, to conference room support, I was very impressed at their responsiveness.

I heard there was a BMW available to rent/borrow but didn't have time to check one out. Too busy working. I would definitely stay here again when down in San Antonio and will take advantage of their recreational facilities next time. And, i would highly recommend this property for conferences.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Food and Beverage team blew me away...walking into dinner I felt like a rock star. They were all at attention greeting me with a smile.

Every single meal I had was delicious and I loved the frito pie bar-so Texas!

Room was comfortable, bathroom huge and the pool was BEAUTIFUL!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!