“Spacious, Clean, Beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Spacious, Clean, Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

stayed here for a conference and I loved it! Unlike many other conference hotels ive been too this place is beautiful! Indeed it was a resort. Upon entering the lobby was spacious, tall ceilings, clean and wonderful handson staff. The outdoor gardens are amazing! There are two pools; one for adults and the other for kids with a water park. I stayed in a king size room and it was very big. nice patio w/ a wonderful view. Very romantic place for couples, but also family friendly. The other side of the hotel is made for conferences and has all the amenities you would need. They have screens all around so you can check your conference schedule and other activities going on. It's about a 40 min drive to downtown, $70 cab fare. Cibolo Moon had very tasty hearty food. I had the BBQ meatloaf which was huge and Very yummy! The quac was delicious also.
I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Spent 4 nights at this awesome resort the weekend of the Texas Valero open. Ironically I was not there for the golf tournament. First I have to say the service was excellent, as good or better then a four seasons resort. They could not have been more helpful or attentive. Came from Houston, quick drive. From the moment we arrived, the valet and bell service was very helpful and fast. Check in was a breeze and on a busy weekend we recieved and awesome Junior suite. Room was very well appointed and the beds were comfortable and bathrooms overall rooms were big. The restaurants were outstanding, the sports bar was the coolest I have ever seen, The pool is the highlight, lazy river, slides you need tubes to go down, adult pool and hot tub. Did I mention how family friendly this place is. The sports bar/club is so cool with its 150 foot televisions.. What I was most impressed with the physical structure, design and materials used. Just beautiful and first class. The kids club and the employees were awesome, so much so when given a choice of swimming or the club, they chose the club Did I mention that there is great shopping near by and if you care to go to the riverwalk, it is 20 minutes away with no traffic, but why? Did not get to use the spa, but they have a nice workout room and I here the spa is the best in Texas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pool or golf course, or a room on the ground floor where you can w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Spent the weekend at the JW Marriott with my wife and our young son. The property is beautiful, amazing scenery, nice rooms and an inviting layout. Excellent pool and very kid friendly. But the there are some major management issues...Let me preface my remarks by saying that my wife and I live in Fort Worth and like most Texas folks we eat casual Mexican about three times per week so my standards for service are by no means the Ritz (I just expect friendly people and food in a reasonable amount of time).

When we arrived at the hotel there was a long line to valet and when we asked for help with our bags, we were informed by the valet that there was no porter available and it would be better if we carried our own bags - no big deal, yet.

Their problem can be summed up by saying that every time we wanted to eat or order anything to drink it was complete chaos. There were so many guests at this hotel that it is constantly swarming with people and employees and no one knows what is going on. Long lines at every meal, very slow service. We sat at the pool for 3 hours and had a server stop by 1x. No big deal, went to the bar to order food and it took 20 min to wait in line and another 45min to get the food. Add a screaming hungry toddler to the mix and it's a problem. The next morning we waited over an hour for the breakfast buffet.

The real issue is the shear size of this place and the fact that you are held hostage to eat every meal at the hotel facility. There is nothing around the property for miles. If you want to eat you are loading up the car and driving who knows how far (probably 10 miles) to find a meal, not realistic or convenient.

When there was a massive line at the valet and they told me it would be awhile the attendant said they would send up someone to get out bags from the room. When the car arrived 15min later I asked about the bags and they said there is a 35 min wait for baggage handler. I asked to take a baggage cart myself and they said that is against hotel policy.

Let me be clear. The hotel is too big, poorly run and there are simply not enough employees. You are guaranteeing yourself a stressful and frustrating experience at a beautiful property. When I complained about the service, the manager said "sir we have 700 guest checking in and 500 checking out today, we are very busy"...wrong answer. Does this hotel plan to be empty? Why would you run a business with the expectation of anything other than success. If they have so many guests they need more help.

I will also say that there were many unhappy guest and most were vocal to either the mgmt or servers. It was not an isolated experience on this particular weekend. Unless you enjoy long lines, tons of people and less than helpful staff I would not stay here. It is a massive zoo.

As an alternative, I would suggest the Westin La Cantera which is probably 10 miles away as the crow flies. My wife and I stated there the same weekend the last two pervious years and had good experiences both stays. The property is not quite as spectacular, but the service was good, it is still very nice and we can recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Pros: Room, Location, Spa, Golf
Cons: Valet Parking (Any parking!), Reaching Anyone by Phone, Bell Desk

We were there just to get away for a nice three-day weekend; me to play the two TPC courses and my wife to enjoy the spa. For those two items, this was fantastic! But, the hotel was booked with proms and weddings and 100% occupied. They can't handle it yet! Valet parking was delayed over 30 minutes and you couldn't call down ahead. Bell service was impossible to reach (went to the hotel's automated message) so we had to lug suitcases and clubs down ourselves. There was a triathelon Saturday morning and tied up all of the streets delaying golfers from reaching the course which delayed even the golfers staying at the resort. The TPC golf shop said they were blindsided by the hotel and had no way to overcome the problem. I know they want full occupancy as they are a business. But, if they can't handle it, they are affecting those of us who paid amounts in four figures to enjoy a great weekend. Like we say, the resort is spectacular (amenities excellent, room excellent, food excellent). The lobby & entry were a disaster and took away from the enjoyment of the trip. Will never return if, when we ask, they are hosting many events. If they are not, will go back to enjoy the golf and spa again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The only bad thing I have to say was that bell service was not on par with the quality if the property. Maybe we just got two guys that were bored with their jobs. Lastly, the bed was the least comfortable I have ever had at any level Marriott hotel anywhere. That's saying something as I enjoy Elite Platinum level with Marriott.

The water park and that's what you have to call it is the best I have seen and rivals the water activities at the Grand Wailea in Maui, HI.

• Stayed April 2012
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This review is most useful for the Texas family just wanting a little short and easy getaway...

We took a quick little Maycation to the San Antonio area. Normally we just stay with friends, but we decided to try out the JW Marriott. Man am I glad we did! My husband and I travel quite a bit, but have never gone any place really nice with our two little boys (4 &2) because it seems too hectic to actually enjoy. We had a FABULOUS time! The resort is gorgeous and extremely family oriented. The staff was so nice and helpful and genuinely seemed happy to accommodate you, but didn't come across stuffy or pretentious. Our room was nice, about what you'd expect. We had a decent sized balcony with a beautiful view. The waterpark was fabulous! Our older one (4) loved all of the water slides and wasn't scared a bit. Both boys loved the kids area and smaller slides there. We played a lot too in the main pool and loved the poolside waitstaff. We watched the movie by the pool and made smores. All of the food was very good, especially the Sunday brunch.

For those who said it was expensive, they are right. We checked in Saturday at 2 and checked out Sunday at 2. We ate lunch, dinner, and breakfast and had cocktails by the pool both days and our bill was roughly $650. It was a lot, but totally worth it. Stress free, beautiful, fun and relaxing. It was just what our family needed!

The ONLY negative thing I can say is we are not fans of the top sheet/duvet combo. It's Texas and it's hot...nobody needs a goose down duvet! A really nice heavy cotton blanket would be much more appropriate. I realize the duvet feels "luxurious", but it's not luxurious to sweat!

It was truly a relaxing getaway where we felt miles and miles from Dallas and we will definitely go again next May before the summer crowds.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Big and welcoming, with amazing amenities, including a nice gym, good restaurants and plenty of places to mingle and meet. Rooms were amazing (for a Marriott).

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!