“Great place to stay-especially for Seaworld!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites San Antonio Sea World

You added Staybridge Suites San Antonio Sea World to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites San Antonio Sea World
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10919 Town Center Drive, San Antonio, TX 78251 (Far West Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special Weekend Rate!
Ranked #69 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Great place to stay-especially for Seaworld!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our family of four-2 adults, a 7 year old and a almost 2 year old, stayed in a 2 Queen bed suite on the 4th floor. The suite was great; the beds were very comfortable, the kitchen was a good size and it had nice flat panel tv's in both rooms. The room was very clean and was roomy enough for to the four of us to be comfortable, even with a pack and play in the bedroom! The complimentary breakfast had a very wide selection. While I could get nit-picky about the eggs (a little bland), you couldn't beat the selection of food. We especially loved the waffle station, where you could make a Texas shaped waffle! Lots of healthy choices and not so healthy choices (which is good because on vacation, I kind of like to live a little!). Breakfast went until 9:30, which was helpful since it takes a long time to get my brood up and dressed in order to be presentable. One of the selling points for us on this place was the Free Shuttle to SeaWorld. Here is what we found out. It's a bit crazy in the morning to ride the free shuttle-you have to get in line and get your name on the list. There were a lot of people going and apparently quite a bit of confusion and irritation by the guests and driver alike. When my husband told me this, I said, forget it, we'll drive. It was just easier than dealing with the headache. So, I cannot comment on the timeliness of the shuttle to and from or any of that. Just know in advance that there may be a bit of a wait and/or extra steps to take the shuttle and you'll be fine I'm sure. Now for the two negatives we had (and trust me, neither are deal breakers so don't cross this place off your list, it's just a heads up). I read another review on here that pointed out that the bathtubs are super slippery and that they should put in bath mats. That reviewer wasn't kidding! Luckily, I remembered this and when I went to bathe the kids, I had a good hold on them. Went I used the shower myself, I had to plant my feet and not move! I warned my husband and sure enough, he came out of the shower with some choice words! You wouldn't think something would make that much of an impression but if you are elderly or a kid, or are not fully prepared for it, you could seriously hurt yourself! Again, I would stay here again, without a doubt, but be warned about the tub! The other thing we didn't care for was that there are no ice machines on the floor. We bought a bottle of wine when we got into town and had no ice in the room. The freezer makes ice, but of course, they empty it after each guest and we would have had to wait all night to get enough ice to chill it. My husband asked the front desk about the ice machines and they said they didn't have any except in the kitchen. So they provided us with ice and by the next morning the ice tray was full. Again, not a deal breaker, just a heads up.
All in all, this place was great, they were very helpful and we would definitely stay here again. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Clarksville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We did arive early around 2pm, in hopes of checking in and we did get checked in early. The room was nice and spacious for 3 adults. The all night fresh coffee that was available made my Mother-in-law happy. Breakfast was different everyday. They even had meet the guest during the first two days of the trip, which was nice to have wine or beer while chatting with the other guests there. Two tv's was something that we are not use to. The ease of directions from the hotel to Lackland was about a ten min drive either way. The exit itself was pretty quiet and so was the hotel. I would definetly stay again if we were to return to San Antonio.We had a one room suite with 2 queen beds in the bedroom. Full silverware, dishes, glasses, and pots and pans was also nice to see, even though we did not use them. There was a weight room and wash area. The only thing was we did not get new towels everyday, like the paper said in the bathroom, but that was not a problem that would keep me from coming back.

Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I don't travel very often, but if I ever need another hotel, Staybridge will be the top choice. Check in was quick and easy. Since we arrived rather late, the parking lot was full; the night manager allowed me to park in front of the hotel at the drop off location, which was extremely convenient. The room (queen suite) was clean, spacious and the bed was beyond comfortable. I didn't have any issues with water pressure or temperature in the shower. There was a full (hot) breakfast included. It was located about a mile from SeaWorld which was the main reason for choosing the hotel. The only downfall to the room was the noise from the hall in the morning.

Salina, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Staybridge Sea World San Antonio. Check-in was smooth and our room was ready early. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with 2 double beds -- it was clean and spacious. Plenty of room for our family of four. Wifi was fast with good connectivity. Free breakfast was great -- lots of options and they never ran out of anything! We used the free shuttle service to Sea World. The driver was very friendly and it was so convenient to just call the front desk and have custom pick-up/drop off service!

My only complaint about this hotel is that we booked our room 2 months in advance on a popular hotel website. We pre-paid for the reservation. When we arrived, they asked for our credit card for incidentals, which is standard. But the next day, I noticed that a memo charge for the entire reservation was hitting my bank causing us to be nearly overdrawn! I notified the front desk who said that it was a "hold" on those funds which can look like a charge. They said they would go ahead and release the funds. After we arrived home, I see that the charge has now completely gone through my bank and wasn't released at all. I called the hotel and again was told that it was just a "hold" and it should release in 5 days. So now I'm waiting to see if the funds are indeed released. But, for now, I've paid for this hotel stay twice -- which was definitely not in my vacation budget. :(

Room Tip: The heavy security doors that open from the hallway to the outside are loud when they open and close...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio Sea World, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear KSUMommy,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted to see that you had a satisfactory sty at our hotel. I'd like to follow up on the billing issue with regards your stay so I have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

A professional society that I belong to was having its annual meeting at the Hyatt nearby, and I wanted a less expensive alternative that was near the Hyatt, and the Staybridge Suites Seaworld fit the bill. It's a 6 block 15-minute walk to the Hyatt or an under 2-minute drive, and parking at the Hyatt is abundant, free, and convenient. It's a few hundred yard walk from the Hyatt parking lot to the conference center.

This was my first stay at a Staybridge Suites and I was very pleased. It's a different business model from the usual hotel room in that you get no housekeeping service on the weekend, and limited housekeeping service during the week. In exchange you get a suite with a kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. This was the largest hotel room I've had in years.

There was abundant outside parking for the rental car. Checking in was a snap (free apples at the desk) and I was greeted with a spotlessly clean suite with a TV in the living room and a second TV in the bedroom with countless dozens of channels. I was delighted to see a couple of hefty bars of soap in the bathroom rather than the micro-mini soaps I've encountered lately. The bathroom has a separate room for the toilet and bathtub, from the sink, so a couple could get ready simultaneously.

I'm ultra-paranoid about critters, and looking under the mattress cover with a high intensity maglite demonstrated no evidence of bedbugs so I felt safe. Some hotels completely encase the mattress in a closed-linen cover that you can't open (and bugs can't get into) but they don't do that here.

There was a writing desk with a desk lamp to do my work.

The free wireless internet in the room was a joy to use and was faster than what I have at home. I actually updated various programs while I was there as it was faster to do it there rather than at home.

It was plenty bright enough, a pet peeve of mine.

They have a free full breakfast here that was the best freebie breakfast I've seen in a business-class motel. They had scrambled eggs every day (not piping hot, but hot enough), some sort of meat such as ham, sausages, sausage patties, or bacon, several different kinds of bread, bagles, sweet rolls, fruit salad, hot and cold cereal juices, yogurt, coffee and pop (if so Inclined).

They also have a 'reception' at dinnertime on certain days during the week that was pretty marginal. You can probably skip it. They had ultra-salty chicken noodle soup right out of the can, some low-end cold cuts, white bread, and some wilted looking salad fixings. I had hoped to make a dinner out of it but it was pretty meager.

The locale is suburban, with lots of undeveloped land around and little commercial development. There was one restaurant nearby, a steak place, but surprisingly little in the way of eateries in the area. I drove around the major streets within a few mile radius including Westover, Calebra, and Tezel and saw a few chain eateries like Taco Bell and such. You might have to forage farther for a decent dinner other than the steak place nearby.

You really need a car if you say here as there's nothing within walking distance and there's no on-site restaurant.

Things that I didn't like with the room include the following:

-The chair for the desk is really low (for me).

-The water quality, surprisingly varied during my stay. On some days it seemed like It took 5 minutes to wash the soap off my hands whereas on other days soap washed right off. They may have water softener issues.

-The bathtub bottom was really, really slippery. They might consider putting those permanent non-slip strips on the bottom. I could see where somebody could take a spill. They do have a grab bar on the bathtub which I made use of.

-There is a digital thermostat in the suite that you can set to your preference however it blew right on the beds at night, which I find objectionable, and I ended up turning off the air conditioning at night. It got stuffy after a while but was better than than having a draft blowing on me.

-Soundproofing was a little lacking. I could hear the TV of the people in the next room, and anything that was going on in the hallway.

The other guests seemed to be a variety of working guys wearing work clothes, lots of military guys wearing fatigues, and families on vacation.

They have a free laundry if you need one.

The athletic facility was a single room with some equipment that was adequate. They had treadmills, a stationary bike, an elliptical, a weight machine and free weights. No stair-stepper.

The business center has couple of PC's and a printer so you can print your boarding passes before your departure.

Overall, I was very pleased. It's a good value and very convenient place to spend a few days if you have business in the area, or want to go to Seaworld.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lancashire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on a break to San Antonio and enjoyed great service.

Checkin was very smooth and we were given a ground floor room with easy access out to our car so we didn't have to go through reception. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a good living area incl kitchen and a separate bedroom with 2 doubles so it easily accommodated the 4 of us.

The free breakfast each morning was great with plenty of choice and different hot dishes each morning. The kids made good use of the waffle maker. We didn't try the free evening food but did have a couple of free beers.

The free wifi and business center were very useful as was the free shuttle to Seaworld which saved the $15 parking fee. The swimming pool was rather small so we didn't give it a try but the gym equipment was good.

All in all a great stay - recommended!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DeLand, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Been staying here for a few weeks - the employees are fantastic - all very friendly and customer service is great - if you need something - just ask they will get it for you - problem in your room - it will be corrected asap. They serve a mean complimentary breakfast - and 3 nights a week a free happy hour with a different type of salad each night and and entree - wine and beer and soda free also. Nice heated pool - close to Sea World (comp shuttle there n back), safe area lots of shopping n restaurants nearby - 15-20 minutes to down town. We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: If you do not have a pet - you may not want to stay next to a room where they have a pet if they lea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Staybridge Suites San Antonio Sea World? Share your experiences!