“Noisy with thin walls” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites San Antonio Medical Center/Six Flags

You added SpringHill Suites San Antonio Medical Center/Six Flags to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites San Antonio Medical Center/Six Flags
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11426 IH-10 West, San Antonio, TX 78230 (Northwest Side)   |
Ranked #137 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Noisy with thin walls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel was very busy, and we heard a lot of noise as people would walk by the rooms, noise through the walls, etc. I'm in sales and used to traveling, so the noise seemed unusual to me. They were doing a lot of carpet shampooing for some reason while we were there and it made the room smell musty. The hotel's location was also a bit inconvenient to get to, due to its unique location off the highway.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

All of the employees that I encountered were very friendly. Despite arriving after 4, the front desk told us there wasn't a room ready for us yet. We didn't wait long, but it was a little surprising. When we arrived in the room (suite with two queen beds), there was only one set of towels. Luckily the maid was still in the hallway and she was happy to give us more. There are two bathrooms in the room. One with a toilet and a (very) small sink, while the other has the tub and a regular sized sink with a counter. I found that bathroom a little dark, which is disappointing because that's where the big mirror is. Beds were comfortable and the shades made the room dark. The pool is ridiculously small. The workout room had two treadmills and two ellipticals. The breakfast buffet was hot and well stocked.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Port Aransas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

When checking In the Front Desk Clerk Did not look professional. Second he was not at the Front Desk and had to wait 5 minutes for him to come out of the back office for which you can see he was on the computer.

I wanted to split the bill with a friend of mine 50/50 , was told that was fine and to pay upon check out. Fine. Our Second day there we TRY to use the pool area but there were several families using the pool / hotub. Pool looked bright green and merky , not safe at all to swim in. Later that evening I went to purchase a few drinks and snack items and the current Front Desk Clerk seemed like I was a bother to him and was very rude.

When checking out , they had put a $300 hold on the card I assume for damages , which is understandable. Next day I looked and the hotel clerk had charged everything on my card even though I had a receipt saying that the bill was split on 2 DIFFERENT CARDS.

Overall this Hotel needs to hire Properly Trained Front Desk Clerks that now how to work in a HOSPITALITY enviroment. I have stayed here 3 times and this will be my last.

Room Tip: do not stay here , might as well stay at hotel 6.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The carpet was very dirty. My children's socks turned black the first night we stayed. The manager did have housekeeping shampoo the carpet for us. However, for two days, housekeeping did not attend to our room. We returned home the second day from Seaworld had no towels, toilet paper, soap, etc. and had to wait a good 45 minutes for someone to come up and get us some. The next day, the housekeeper and the front desk tried to convince us that we had left the sign on the door, which was not correct. It was very irritating to see that they were not willing to be responsible for their mistakes.

The kitchen area was also full of ants. We alerted the front desk and nothing was done about it in our absence. I was very glad to leave.
Overall, very poorly managed. Very unclean. I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We were in San Antonio for 5 days for our son's graduation from BMT. I picked this property based on the reviews and folks either were more generous than I am or things have really gone downhill since those reviews were written.

To start it off, our room had a missing lightbulb, a light fixture in the ceiling of the shower was missing and the ShowTime program guide was from the prior month. (We checked in on 4/18!) When I asked the front desk person for a current one, he couldn't locate one and we never got one the whole time we were there. he did find us a lightbulb for the missing one. Then we noticed that the time on the alarm clock was off by over an hour and a half. Normally, I would just change the time but this alarm clock had a cover screwed on over the controls in the back and I couldn't get it off. Again, I told the front desk clerk. He came up to the room and tried to remove the cover and couldn't. He came back twice with tools and still couldn't get the cover off. He said that Maintenance had left for the day. Did he offer another alarm clock? Did Maintenance ever fix it? No on both counts.

We also asked for extra towels on one day and were told that they were all in the laundry. Really? Sounds like the hotel needs more towels if they're that tight!

However, the biggest complaint I have is that we booked an extra room for my 87 year-old father. He has some disabilities and I specifically requested a handicap-accessible room with a walk in shower and the indication I received when I made the online reservation was that I got the room. When I went to check him in, I was told that they had a handicap-accessible room but it didn't have a walk in shower. Those were limited and were given out on a first-come, first-serve basis. That was never indicated on the web site! I don't know if this is just the excuse they use when they screw up reservations or if their website is just poorly done. Dad's room also had a lightbulb out. (Don't the housekeeping staff check this at all?)

Now, what was positive about the property?The rooms appeared to be clean. The staff was nice (though they appeared to be poorly traned and unempowered). The price was reasonable(though not any overly great deal).

But, in this day and age, things are too competitive and there are too many options to spend my money for mediocrity. This was a very special occasion for our family and I ask whether the hotel room where we spent a lot of our time contributed to or detracted from the whole affair, I have to say it was the latter. Makes me wary of Springhill Suites and Marriott in general.Next time, I'll try a Hilton chain property even if it isn't as convenient. I haven't had an experience like this ever with them.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Our son graduated from USAF BMT at lackland AFB. We wanted to stay somewhere nice away from the base so he could have a place to relax. Upon arrival, check-in was fast/painless. They even allowed us to check-in earlier than their established time. The people working there were all very friendly/helpful. The room was nice and clean. Although, we planned to use the pool, we never got around to it. All-in-all, the price was well worth it and I would stay there again. P.S. Awesome breakfast!!! My wife didn't complain about one thing, which is rare.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Spring, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The rooms are European style, very tight with minimalist furniture, and a rather odd layout with a shower and vanty in one room, and a commode and a lavatory in a separate room right off the twin double beds.

I realize this isn't a Marriott hotel, but it is a Marriott property and there are some things that should be consistent throughout name brand properties. Things like quality of staff, hotel cleanliness, and basic amenities. I’ll start by saying the front desk staff was good at trying to keep the guests attended to and the place clean. My major complaints about this hotel are a lack of cleanliness, (although I always seemed to see someone cleaning something) and a lack of towels. The lobby always seemed dirty and our room needed to be vaccumed and dusted.

Upon Check in there were no bath towels in our room. On our way out to Sea World we informed the front desk we needed towels. We returned late at night – still none I went down to the front desk only to be told we would not have towels first until the following morning. We weren’t the only ones. Other guests were complaining about the same problem, and apparently it had been a problem over the past few days. They eventually got some towels to us but never could get caught up with the issue. We stayed two nights. The manager was apologetic and did issue a credit for the inconvenience, and provided us vouchers for their sundry store. I would have rather had the towels.

I learned that as one of the least costly hotels in the area it attracts many travelling youth sports teams. There was a basketball tournament in the area the day we checked in and the hotel was packed with five-to-a-room boys, coaches and families. This resulted in an overcrowded lobby, pool and fitness rooms, and a breakfast bar that was like an unruly boarding house.

I have stayed at Springhill Suites before and have always had a good "Value" hotel experience. I will again complement the management staff and their efforts to control a difficult situation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites San Antonio Medical Center/Six Flags? Share your experiences!