“A must see” 4 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #18 of 327 things to do in San Antonio
Activities: Biking, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: This 200-year-old Franciscan mission at the very heart of the Mission Trail was originally built against claims of French colonization.
Houston, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“A must see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

When you travel to San Antonio, make sure you take the mission trip and see all 6 of the missions. It is a great trip and one that all the families will enjoy. Mission Concepcion is the highlight.

Visited July 2012

Charleston, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
“Breath taking!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This place stole my heart! I am a contemporary Christian singer. When I was in the church I took advantage of the incredible acoustics and had the pleasure of singing in there! I felt closer to God than I had in a long time!! Amazing!!

Hampton, Virginia, USA
4 attraction reviews
“Great example of the early missions in Texas!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Mission Concepcion is the oldest surviving mission in Texas. The missions were established by the Franciscans. There are four left--all four are worth a visit, but unfortunately I only had time to tour this one. The missions are maintained by the National Park Service and surprisingly these days have free admission. These missions are also still active Catholic churches. Very beautiful artwork inside, but also a place to pray. I was very much impressed with the beauty yet simplicity of this church.

Hernando, Mississippi
13 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Church”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We showed up and mass was about to start in 15 minutes. The parishoners there were incredibly nice and welcoming. They made us feel like we were part of their family. The mission is realatively small compared to San Jose, but I would say that I felt at home more here than the other missions. If you show up around mass time and are Catholic, I highly recommend staying for mass.

Grimsby, Canada
“Beautiful and Accessible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

On our recent road trip, we discovered that there are five missions associated with San Antonio - the Alamo being the most famous. We decided to leave the Alamo until the end. Good decision as we probably wouldn't have visited Mission Conception and Mission San Jose if we had gone to the Alamo first. The Alamo is right in the heart of San Antonio, beside a shopping mall, therefore it is very busy and congested. The other missions are easily accessible and capture the spirit of the time. Loved the beautiful architecture and chapel. Highly recommended!