“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 South Alamo Street, San Antonio, TX 78205   |
Ranked #193 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Had a great time. Wonderful hotel that had that old style feel as if staying in a turn of the century hotel. Staff was great as was valet service. Room was amazing got one on first floor away from street and elevator. Would love to revisit again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
FairmountHotel, Manager at The Fairmount, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Hello
Thank you for staying with us at The Fairmount Hotel. We are pleased to hear you had a great stay and our staff was very attentive and accommodating. We always enjoy when our guest leave happy and wanting to return back. Please come back and become apart of our Preferred Guest Program, which allows guest to book directly through us on our website or even over the phone, to become eligible for a complimentary upgrade. This also give guest a chance to better experience all the different rooms, a visual of all the different themes and colors. Maybe even find their favorite room! We look forward to seeing you again, thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I booked this hotel after passing by it several times last year. A short ride from the airport. When we arrived there was a beautiful white Bentley parked in the front which set the level of expectation.

PROS:
We arrived in the small lobby to the smell of freshly baked cookies. The check in process was quick and easy. Bring your AAA card for an extra percentage off your room. The night staff was very friendly and informative. They assisted with booking our dinner reservations. This is the first time in a long time I've stayed in a hotel that gave you a real key vs a key card. My room had a nautical theme that is just adorable. I didn't expect the room to be so big. Hardwood floors instead of carpet is perfect if you happen to be traveling with a small pet or have allergies! This hotel has a classic charm that is lacking in a lot of big chain hotels. The bed was loaded with pillows and the mattress was very comfortable. The floor to ceiling windows add to the nostalgic charm. Everything was in good working order. No problems with the TV or A/C! It is a very short walk (3 blocks ) to the River Walk which is must see. There is a bike rental station in the next block. Love the free wi-fi! My stay was for business however I would come back for a personal stay. Looks like a cute place for honeymoon too.

Cons: You may need to bring your own soap because the housekeeping provides a standard small amount that two people will easily use after one shower. Our shower gel was not replaced the first night. Because this is an older building there isn't a ceiling light which makes for a slightly dim room. I simply took the lamp shade off of one of the lamps to get the desired amount of light. Minor cosmetic upgrades needed however it doesn't take away from the charm. The water pressure is lower than what I'm use to. This may be normal for the area. Black jumping bugs that I've seen everywhere in the area can make their way into your room. A towel at the bottom of the door will prevent that from happening.

Room Tip: My room faced the street which was fine for me however they do have rooms facing a courtyard if you...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
FairmountHotel, Manager at The Fairmount, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hello
Thank you for staying with us at The Fairmount Hotel, we are so pleased to hear you had such a great amazing stay. We are happy to see guest like and notice our fresh baked cookies and lemonade. We are still continuing to make changes here and there to the lobby. We have coffee and fruit set out every morning for all our guest. We will also be launching our in room breakfast service. We do hope you come back to stay with us whether is business or pleasure, we will be more than happy to have you back! As returning guest you are automatically eligible for our Preferred Guest Program, when you book directly with us over the phone or online you are eligible for a complementary upgrade upon availability. I hope to see you soon! Once again thank you for staying at The Fairmount Hotel, The Jewel of San Antonio!!!

Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Not on the River Walk, but next to La Villita and across from Hemisphere Park. The Fairmount is a historical hotel in the Guiness Book of Records as the Largest Building ever moved. I like it because its away from the River Walk / Alamo madness a bit, closer to the more "funky" places along South Alamo and the King William Historic District. No, breakfast is not included. Yes, you'll have to pay for valet parking (parking is at a premium).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmountHotel, Manager at The Fairmount, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hello!
Thank you for choosing The Fairmount for your hotel stay! It is always a pleasure seeing guest come back and give us reviews, good or bad. I apologize about the breakfast, we are actually in the process of starting in room service for breakfast where we take it up to your room at your desired time. We hope you come back to stay with us, give you a chance to experience breakfast with us!

Corvallis, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Filthy worn room. TV didn't work, phone didn't work even to call desk. Pet policy had changed in march to only allow 20 lbs and under. My dog weighs 30 and spent the night in the car. Couches sitting outside a

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello
Thank you for the feedback you have left for us to use to make our hotel a better experience for the next time you or any guest come to stay at our hotel. We always take the feedback we receive online as well as in person to make a better enjoyable stay for our guest, as we always enjoy for guest to come back to stay with us no matter the occasion. I am deeply sorry about the experience and pet policy, I am not aware of the weight limit to the pet policy. As we are a pet friendly hotel we do not have any restrictions on the size of the pet, nor the breed and weight. We used to have a hotel pet concierge Luke Tips who was mastiff/lab mix weighing 150 pounds. We are also going through a small renovation with all the rooms, slowly updating them as we can. Once again I apologize about your last experience with us, I'd love to invite you back to the hotel in hopes that you have a better experience than the last. Thank you again for this helpful feedback.

Kingwood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel. It's location is perfect. It is unique and each room is different. But I would recommend a few updates: more plugs or outlet strips, coke machine, ice machines available, toiletries in the bathroom (mine didn't even have soap), and someone to valet and help with luggage who is not the front desk clerk. BUT this is a hotel for people who like a different experience, small, historic and a hidden gem. A few minor updates would really up the level of satisfaction.

• Stayed June 2014
Hello!
Thank you for choosing The Fairmount Hotel for your hotel stay in San Antonio. We would like to thank you for your feedback, it is always nice to hear back from guest about their experience with us. We have actually started a small gift shop into our hotel near the front desk, we have Cokes, Diet Cokes, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, bottled water and some chips and candy available for purchase. We are still updating our hotel as we address issues to make our hotel enjoyable for our guest. We invite you back for your next hotel stay to see the new changes we have made for a enjoyable pleasant experience.

New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I was very dissapointed with my stay. So much so that I need to share with you the following:

-The room was not properly cleaned. The coffee mugs still had coffee remnants in them.

- The bed was extremely uncomfortable and felt more like it was from motel 6. It didnt feel clean to me either.

-The room that I stayed in has three chairs and the springs are completely broken in all three of them. You cant sit in them anymore.

- The gym was under construction and when I booked, There was no mention of this when I made the booking, which is something I have seen a lot of hotels do

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello!
Thank you for staying with us at The Fairmount Hotel, I would like to first off apologize about the stay you had with us. We always enjoy the good and bad reviews we receive, we use the feedback to address the issues we need to fix or work on to make a better pleasant experience for all our hotel guest. We are going through a small renovation to update our hotel, all the issues we have seen are being dealt with. We updated our flooring in majority of all the rooms and the work out facility, this gives the hotel a fresh clean look. I would like to invite you come back to stay with us, give us a second chance to better serve you. Once again thank you for your feedback it truly helps us better serve our wonderful guest.

Shiner, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have a few hotels that are my favorite when it comes to staying downtown in SA.... When my husband surprised me with a quick anniversary getaway, and told me on the way that we were NOT staying at one of my usual picks, I was a little worried.
As soon as we pulled up at the Fairmount, I was instantly at ease :)
The Fairmount definitely has curb appeal for someone like me... I like to stay at interesting, historic, and unique places. This charming hotel definitely has those qualities, plus it is in such a great location (near lots of my favorite SA spots like: the Magik Theater, the Tower of the Americas, and blocks from my all time fave - the Alamo)... I know that I have passed it many times before, but never taken the time to check into staying there since I had my regular places to fall back on. After this trip - I am so glad my husband decided to surprise me with something new (to me).
The hotel is located directly across from Hemisfair Park and La Villita.... The Alamo, the riverwalk, and so much more is within walking distance. The staff of the Fairmount was courteous and helpful. They took care of our every need. We didn't have a fancy view outside of our window, but that's OK, because a) we weren't interested in sitting in front of the window while we were in the room, and b) the room was GREAT! So spacious --- you walk in through a sitting area (aka mini living room) with a couch, chair, desk and TV, then into a dressing area with a nice size bathroom and a large closet, and finally you arrive in the bedroom - complete with an antique bed (new mattresses) and another TV.
I really don't think there is much more I need to say... It is a great little hotel... I didn't mention the restaurant Tre because we didn't eat there, but it smelled good! I look forward to going back and staying at this sweet little hotel again, one day, and when I do - I'll make it a point to go in and order something.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words, we are very pleased you and your husband enjoyed your little getaway here at The Fairmount Hotel. We always enjoy it when we see returning guest , who love the hotel as much as we do. We look forward to seeing you again!

Marissa Torres

Been to The Fairmount? Share your experiences!