“Really a 3.5; Better than all the mixed reviews suggest” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmount

Save Saved
You added The Fairmount to your Saves list
The Fairmount
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 South Alamo Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (East Side)   |
Ranked #217 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Philadelphia, PA
“Really a 3.5; Better than all the mixed reviews suggest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

All the mixed reviews on this site and others really had me worried. I got a great deal on a room via expedia and ultimately decided to keep it even though the reviews were scaring me a bit. I arrived late on a Monday evening - check-in took about 5 minutes - no problem with my reservation. The lobby is imaculate and the whole property, in general, looks like it was recently renovated. FYI - it appears the Fairmount mascot - a dog - has passed; I had been looking forward to that unique aspect of this property.

My room was on the second floor - streetside. San Antonio is pretty quiet after-hours, though I still had a bit of trouble getting to sleep because of a loud car/truck every once in a while. The room is spacious; reminded me of a room that would be in a rich grandparent's house. The room appeared recently renovated - new linens, curtains, everything but the carpet was new. The bathroom was "spruced" up, but definately was definately showing its age - great water pressure though and high quality shampoo/soap/etc.

I never saw another hotel guest while I was there for 3 nights/4 days - during the week; that concerned me a bit as a single female traveler. On the other hand, I never felt concerned for my safety at this property. There was always someone at the front desk - one of whom kept my key while I went for an early morning run. Another of whom called a cab for me and gave me directions to another hotel where I had a meeting.

This hotel's location is execellent for getting onto the riverwalk - half a block from a set of riverwalk stairs. The restaurant at the property looked great - I never had the opportunity to enjoy it - and there is zero pressure to go there for breakfast.

I would come here again if I got a good deal and if I was on a business trip. It is close to the convention center and other hotels/meeting/conference places and near the Riverwalk.

Room Tip: street side rooms may be a bit loud if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The reviews from this and other sites are all over the map, and now I understand why:

We arrived in San Antonio after 1 a.m. Lost (There is a North and South Alamo—something our GPS didn't quite understand), we called the hotel to get directions. "What is your name? Do you have a reservation? When did you make it? What is your name? (He asked multiple times.) Despite the clerk saying he didn’t know the area (we stopped police officers for directions), we arrived—only to have the clerk meet us outside the hotel with our room key—which he tried to thrust into my hand as I was still trying to get luggage out of the trunk. (Uh, how about asking for some ID?)

Some "senior" friends arrived much earlier. Anxious to see the sites around town, they asked where the Riverwalk was (a major attraction, literally across the street through a park), but the desk clerk shrugged his shoulders.

Yet, the weekend day staff was quite helpful and courteous. And strangely, two piles of local maps—including the Riverwalk—were available on the counter.

The hotel furnishings are a bit run down—beyond "shabby chic" (The rug in my room was well-worn with the edges a filthy black. Ick.), but the rooms are spacious—especially the suites—and “could be” charming.

BOTTOM LINE: Would I stay there again? Probably not. For not much more money there are hotels with better amenities. Perhaps The Fairmount was once the "Jewel of San Antonio," but now it needs a good cleaning—and some staff training.

Room Tip: If you're allergic to pets, ask that you have a "pet-free" room. The hotel accepts pet...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

This place is In a good spot, but very creepy I wouldn't recommend and I would never go back. They keep your card on file like most places do, and then charge 21$ a night for valet parking, which isn't an option.. It's mandatory and they only do valet parking. Disappointed

• Stayed September 2012
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

In over 20 years of booking rooms, we last stayed at the Fairmount on September 13 - 16, 2012. We truly enjoy the quiet, the ambience, the antique furniture and plush furnishings. Staff are very helpful and very accommodating. Yes, it is a bit frayed and worn, but warmer and more inviting than the mega boxes. Will definitely stay again and hope that renovations to update are in the works.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here and was amazed at the size of the suite for the great bargain price. Also the restaraunt has fantastic food and drinks and excellent service. Located right next to LaVillita and a short walk to the Riverwalk or the Tower of the Americas. The suites are very large and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Russell E, General Manager at The Fairmount, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again!!Thank You Russell.
Weslaco, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Booked hotel for event, it was cancelled due to weather. We arrive and room not ready. We walk into room is smaller and no balcony as booked but only one available. Room is really stuffy a/c not working. Advise front desk clerk sounds lost on what to do but calls maintenance. we sight see for three hours to give chance for repairs. We return and have to wait a bit more. Finally get to settle in room. No frig, after paying $295 before tax, need to pay extra $25 if we want little frig. We were traveling with two kids so we paid. Horrible lighting used flaslight most of the evening. Room was still stuffy slept with door kept open with trash can. Hotel does not offer breakfast does have attached restaurant but already felt we overpaid for room didn't want to gamble anymore. Hotel was pretty, kind of outdated but pretty. Other than having a dog who lives in lobby who serves as mascot nothing special. Informed front desk of my unpleasant stay and was given a reluctant apology. Asked for manager clerk handed me business card. (Found out later she was a mgr, think assistant) Called number provided for 1 week straight, always got voicemail left messages. Never contacted me. I would not recommend this overpriced hotel. With our busy schedule, hard to get away and was very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
I would like to personally thank you for staying at our hotel .Its sounds like it wasn't pleasant and I apolagize for your stay.I really would like to here the troubles with your stay so I can address the issues you encountered.If you would be so kind as to give me a call at the hotel.(210)224-8800
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

This hotel is a beautiful building great location, but desperately needs upkeep. We had a suite (350 a night) and upon checking in our bathroom was still dirty, the room was a pet room (which we had no pets) the carpets were very heavily stained and soiled. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. The manager came in to change sheets and bring towels (all staff was very nice and tried their best). For some reason they do not keep housekeeping on staff all day (and it shows).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Fairmount? Share your experiences!