The reviews from this and other sites are all over the map, and now I understand why:
We arrived in San Antonio after 1 a.m. Lost (There is a North and South Alamo—something our GPS didn't quite understand), we called the hotel to get directions. "What is your name? Do you have a reservation? When did you make it? What is your name? (He asked multiple times.) Despite the clerk saying he didn’t know the area (we stopped police officers for directions), we arrived—only to have the clerk meet us outside the hotel with our room key—which he tried to thrust into my hand as I was still trying to get luggage out of the trunk. (Uh, how about asking for some ID?)
Some "senior" friends arrived much earlier. Anxious to see the sites around town, they asked where the Riverwalk was (a major attraction, literally across the street through a park), but the desk clerk shrugged his shoulders.
Yet, the weekend day staff was quite helpful and courteous. And strangely, two piles of local maps—including the Riverwalk—were available on the counter.
The hotel furnishings are a bit run down—beyond "shabby chic" (The rug in my room was well-worn with the edges a filthy black. Ick.), but the rooms are spacious—especially the suites—and “could be” charming.
BOTTOM LINE: Would I stay there again? Probably not. For not much more money there are hotels with better amenities. Perhaps The Fairmount was once the "Jewel of San Antonio," but now it needs a good cleaning—and some staff training.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmount Hotel San Antonio
- The Fairmount Hotel
- Fairmount San Antonio
- Fairmount Hotel San Antonio
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate, European-style hotel built in 1906 and located on San Antonio's River Walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, AAA Travel Services, Priceline, Venere, Travelocity, Olotels, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your The Fairmount reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.