My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week. Despite a few wrinkles that happened during our stay, overall, it was a good place to stay, with comfortable beds. We were on the top floor, and it was very quiet. The freeway was close, along with trains, but the sounds were barely heard in our room. The walls also seemed very good, as we heard children next door crying, but very muffled...not loud at all. The first night, we encountered two cockroaches in a cabinet under the sink. The desk clerk did not feel comfortable leaving us in the room, so he moved us. They spray for them every month, but apparently these were big guys that can hitch a ride on somebody and come into the building easily. I had never seen one before, so was pretty excited and snapped a picture of the big one to send home to my grandkids. I figured it would gross them out. Ha! The next morning, the staff was up in the room where we found them, and my husband pointed out where we had seem them, and they were already on top of the situation taking care of it. We never saw another one the entire trip. It was nice having our own kitchen, as we cooked about half of our meals.
As far as the area of the hotel, I felt safe enough with my husband, but don't think I would stay there as a single woman. It was about a two-block walk to the trolley stop, and on the way, we passed homeless people sitting on empty properties several times. They watch you very closely, and seem unpredictable, so we just walked quickly, and never came back after dark. I think mostly they don't want to bother you any more than you want to bother them. We took our car if we wanted to be out after dark. I bought the $4 day pass for bus and trolley service on several of the days that we wanted to be downtown, which is very efficient and much faster to get around than driving. My husband got the senior rate at 25 cents per ride, so it was much cheaper for him to just pay a quarter every time he rode. It was much easier to take the trolley around than to park a car for $15/day in one of the lots, with no in and out privileges. Some of the parking lots (Frost Bank for one) has free parking on the weekends, which came in handy for parking when we went to the Majestic Theater (which is SO beautiful!) to see Styx in concert. The only REALLY long ride was the one that goes out to the zoo and botanical gardens. It only comes by once an hour, and it takes about an hour and a half to go round-trip out and back. So I would probably take a car if I were to do that one again.
The staff was super friendly and helpful, especially when we had a few problems. They were right there to fix whatever was wrong. Dawna and Gilbert were especially helpful and accommodating during our stay.
It was too cold to use the swimming pool, so I can't comment on that. But overall, I would recommend the stay if you are looking for a place where you can cook some of your meals, and don't mind if you are not staying right on the riverwalk.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites San Antonio Downtown Hotel San Antonio
- Candlewood Suites San Antonio Downtown Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new Candlewood Suites San Anotonio Downtown is the newest extended stay, all suites hotel in the River Walk area. The 96 suite hotel is conveniently located just off of I-35 at the S. Alamo Street exit. Featuring the finest in hospitality and accommodations,, the Candlewood Suites is the place to stay. The hotel is conveniently located just minutes from the River walk and near restaurants, shopping and many attractions. Each spacious suite has a full kitchen complete with microwave, stove top, dishwasher and full size refrigerator. Work efficiently at your oversized executive desk with free high speed internet access or relax in the comfortable living room area while you enjoy multi-channel premium TV or DVD player on a 32 inch flat panel Television. Work off some stress in our fitness center or visit the Candlewood Cupboard where you can pick a variety of foods, beverages and even toiletry items 24 hours a day. Whether your trip is business or pleasure, our hotel can offer you the best value in the San Antonio area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Candlewood Suites San Antonio Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.