“Stay for Convenience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Stay for Convenience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is consistent with the Aloft chain - simple, has what you need, free bottled water, free coffee, free wifi - room was clean although tile in the shower could use a scrub. Staff were friendly enough, but nothing to rave about. The location is really why we choose this hotel - easy to get to from the airport (but GPS won't get you there) and convenient to downtown and the medical center. Note however, that If there are noisy people anywhere on your floor, you will hear them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here while in town for a funeral. Checked in at night, the evening staff was awful. Some older and bald gentleman checked me in and couldn't have been more disinterested in helping me. It was a Friday, bar was very loud with sloppy drunks. Had a room that faced the shopping mall which unfortunately also had a bar. Late night patrons were loud entering and leaving from across the street. Made it very hard to sleep until after 3am when they finally left. Not impressed with the cleanliness or the upkeep of the bathroom. Shower was rusty and moldy in many places. Had a A++ experience when traveled to aloft downtown houston but this location was an F in my book. Would have rather stayed at the Drury Inn where my family stayed and they all had FREE breakfast!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I arrived tired after a funeral and a full and early day. The desk clerk couldn't have been more disinterested. I am older and this hotel was chic/hip. I didn't fit the profile. I manage hotels and have stayed at lots of different properties. This is a 30 something 40 something hotel. The clerk responded to some younger guys and took quite a while to recognize me. He got on the computer after talking to the guys. Then the security guard came up and he talked to him. Finally he looked up and just said "checking in". Not even a welcome? Where has hospitality gone. The room was fine, minamalistic, on the smaller side but well laid out. Shower only but it was very nice with glass door and rain shower head. Well equiped for technology. I was concerned as it was in front of a mall, my room faced the parking and busineses and a street plus near the elevator-surprise it was very quiet, the curtains blacked it out well (I have to have that) and the bed was frim but confortable. Free water bottles and coffee/tea in the room. I won't hold the staff against the brand yet but another similar experience and I will go where I am appreciated. Oh, the bartender was the one bright spot. He was super nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and in good repair. A little difficult to find using GPS. Bed was very firm and linens were fairly rough texture. All that's fine but the constant noise from the elevator on the other side of the wall was hugely annoying. Stay down the hall. :)

• Stayed February 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I am a business traveler and I stay at the aloft in Austin often as well as the "W" on Poydrus in New Orleans. This was my first stay at aloft in San Antonio. I have now booked all my stays there through December. (Which is 1 or 2X a month) This hotel is exactly like the one in Austin Domain and I am very happy with the consistency. It is not by the riverwalk, yet not too far of a drive. No parking fees which is a huge plus, tons of restaurants in the area and nice "happening" bar scene last night. Yet when I went to my room after one glass of wine I didn't hear a peep of noise and it was a full on party with a band downstairs! Room VERY clean and simple and I think that's what makes it "clean". No clutter to collect dust or such and smelled great when I walked in. (Unlike many hotels that smell stale when u walk in the room) The girl that checked me in on the 31st around 6pm was super nice and suggested a great authentic Mexican restaurant that was across the freeway when I asked. The manager was very nice when I checked out this morning (Feb 1st) and this is great value to stay here as well. I will be back (obviously) and continue to book at aloft when available. Also wanted to mention I was booked at a different hotel for 2 days and was so disgusted with it checked out after first day and canceled my room and came to aloft. Very happy I did and I will not make that mistake again...

• Stayed January 2013
Mesquite, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was in town from Dallas on business and when I arrived at the hotel I was suprised! The bed was comforatble and the staff was really nice. I was not aware they had one in Dallas. I will stay at Aloft every time I visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Denver, CP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

First complaint, when in room 225 the elevator sounded like a shuttle taking off for space every single time it was in use, which as you can imagine was a lot. Made sleep very difficult.

Second, and these are small so I'll compile, water temp was reversed and handle loose on shower. Also, I tried to buy a razor (forgot mine) and all they had was a 'kit' for women. I smelled like "Tropical Mist" all day. Whatever the hell tropical mist is? Anyway, turns out they had plenty of kits for men, it was just that the front desk guy was incompetent and didn't know where to look and failed to restock the display.

Third complaint, every morning for breakfast it was a $hit show. First they were out of juice. Then they found more juice. Then they were out of milk for the coffee. Then they found more milk. Then they were out of yogurts. Then found more yogurt. All of which I pointed out and could have been easily noticed by an attentive Staff member.

Overall, this place has a good shell, but the Staff needs some polishing to pull everything together.

Room Tip: Waaaaaaay away from elevators!