“What a GREAT Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden San Antonio near La Cantera

You added Wyndham Garden San Antonio near La Cantera to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden San Antonio near La Cantera
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6809 North Loop 1604 West, San Antonio, TX 78249 (Formerly Four Points by Sheraton San Antonio Northwest) (Northwest Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights, Save 25%
Ranked #56 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“What a GREAT Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is an email that I sent to Diana N. Khalifa, Director of Sales and Marketing of this facility. I met her on my check-in and just HAD to send her this feedback.

Diana,

My apologies for taking so long to write this email. I met you during my first trip to San Antonio back in May for a conference.. and stayed at the Sheraton.

As you may recall our face-to-face conversation, I was completely astonished by the level of service and kindness at your facility.

I don’t do an inordinate amount of traveling for work but I am usually in a hotel at least once per month. Typically I see hotels that are pleasant. However, in your facility’s case, I really don’t think that I have ever seen such a consistently genuinely positive, smiling staff as I saw when I visited your facility. And genuine is the key word… typically staff in the hospitality have to be kind but the staff at your facility just seemed to be genuinely very positive and helpful. From the check-in desk, to the staff behind the breakfast counter, I was amazed by their positive attitude.

I am not sure if/when my travels will take me back to San Antonio or not but, I can tell you, if they do, I know where I will be staying.

Please let your staff know how wonderful of a job they are doing.

Thanks for the great stay! By the way, my stay was May 18-20th.

Room Tip: No tips on rooms but, what is nice is that this location is withing walking distance of a very nice...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Wyndham Garden San Antonio near La Cantera, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear JohnInPgh,
Thank you for sharing your positive sentiments about our hotel with us. It's wonderful o hear you enjoyed your stay and our hotel accommodations and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was surprised immediately upon entering this hotel. I thought the Four Points Sheraton name brought with it a certain caliber but I was mistaken. While the hotel was clean and quiet it just wasn't what I expected from a Sheraton. I recently stayed at a Doubletree and I expected something similar from this property, but it was nothing close. The staff was very unorganized. Several times I went to the front desk and there was either no one there or several people waiting for service. I tried calling the desk from my room and no one answered the phone. They were obviously under-staffed. I asked one front desk employee if the vending machines had bottled water and he told me no. I asked if they had any bottled water at the desk and he said that they ran out. Then another employee walked by and said that they did indeed have bottled water. The first employee went and retrieved only one bottle for a family of four in a city with a temperature of 100 degrees. Also, I was told that there were towels at the pool so I left my towels in my room and when we got to the pool there were no towels! I went to the front desk and there wasn't anyone at the front desk. So I had to go back up to my room to get towels so my kids could get out of the pool.
Our room was clean but very bland. There was a hole in the drywall in the bathroom but it wasn't a bother. We were given a handicapped room which we didn't reserve or have a need for and hoped that there wasn't a handicapped person who needed it. The room door was extremely heavy and took my husband to open it. My kids ages 12 and 8 couldn't open the door and I had to have help opening it. Not sure why the door was so heavy. While the room appeared clean it gave you a feeling that it wasn't.
I called the front desk to report that the lamps in the room were not working. After several attempts the employee finally answered the phone. The employee told me that I needed to turn on the master switch. I explained to her that I had already tried that before I called. She then told me that I was confused and that turning on a lamp could be quite confusing and that she would have someone come up and show me. I found this very insulting. The worker came up and fixed the lamp.
The best part of our stay was the restaurant. Hats off to the 2 chefs that were on duty during our stay. We were shocked to find out that our tortillas and tortilla chips were made from scratch! As well as the salsa! The food was extremely tasty and the menu choices were well planned. We did not expect this from this type of hotel. A 4 star restaurant in a 3 star hotel... go figure. If anything, we would return for the food. Well done guys! The service in the restaurant was great as well.
The next best thing was the location to Fiesta Texas and the package deal rate to the park that we received.
Overall, I was disappointed in this property. Having stayed at the Hilton brand recently I think I will just stick to that brand for our upcoming trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were a little concerned since this hotel was very inexpensive and thought it might be noisy. We had a family of 4 with 2 kids 7 and 9. However we found it to be clean and very quiet. The hotel is close to Fiesta Texas and La Canterra. It is good value for your money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear easygo,
We are so glad your family enjoyed staying at our hotel and we appreciate your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in San Antonio soon!
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is certainly a nice hotel with a very pleasant outside area. Unfortunately we ran into some personnel untrained or being trained on the job. We got wrong information about friends we expected in the hotel and the breakfast table service meant well but was very insecure. The breakfast itself was okay and well presented but to be special an extra fee applied.
The rooms were equipped to standard but the air condition was a nuisance as it developed substantial noise when starting the compressor and the wall mounted controls displayed temperatures that were not in coordination with the air condition unit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
West Columbia, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We found this place to be close to Six Flags. The price wasn't bad but it was suppose to be a nonsmoking room but it definitely wasn't. It was very strong and they couldn't give me another room because they were booked. Too bad they didn't compensate us for having a stinky smoke room. I won't stay here again. The beds were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Wyndham Garden San Antonio near La Cantera, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear adventurermom,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel with us. We're glad to hear you found our location convenient and close to 6 Flags, however regret to hear you found your room to smell of smoke. I have passed this comment on to the rest of the hotel management team so we may look into this and resolve moving forward. We hope you will give our hotel another chance next time you visit San Antonio.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We travelled from Australia and found this hotel out of the San Antonio CBD next to a huge shopping centre and six flags park. The rooms were very clean and well equipped contrary to another review of this hotel. Clearly we arrived when things were at their best. The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The pool was OK although a bit small so go early in the morning. The gym was well equipped. It's a great place to stay at reasonable prices and we used it as a hub for day trips. But the greatest surprise of all was the chef's ability to cook Mexican food beautifully. We had the whole range of tacos from steak to pork to tilapia an excellent fish and they were just fantastic. We even went back for the second night rather than try all the ho hum standard take out places which dot the highways serving fatty food. The food at Four Points was fresh, well cooked and we thought the chefs tacos were one of the wonders of the modern world. The deserts were also excellent. The staff member serving us was friendly and could not have been more helpful. Breakfast was good and very reasonable. Have the Mexican eggs a variety of scrambled eggs which were excellent.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nadebaum,
Thank you for sharing your positive experiences of our hotel with us. We are thrilled to hear you found out hotel to be clean and comfortable and that you came such a far way to stay with us! Most of all, its great that you enjoyed our restaurant Sabor, and found our chef's Mexican dishes outstanding. San Antonio is one of the greatest places for fresh Tex Mex and we are so glad you tried our restaurant and loved our Mexican dishes. We hope you will return to San Antonio and stay with us again when you do - we look forward to it!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very Clean and the Hotel staff was great. Very close to Six Flags. The Breakfast was good but average, ate there once in my three day stay. Will book again if the price is right! The outside area is very nice and have Happy Hour specials daily. Pool is small but was expected.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family