“Great service, good food, needs more spice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ilsong Garden

Ilsong Garden
6905 Blanco Rd, San Antonio, TX 78216-6164 (North Central)
210-366-4508
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Central
Baton Rouge, LA
“Great service, good food, needs more spice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I was happy with my visit. All of our dishes were good, none were great. The Gochujang that they used is not nearly spicy enough. 9 plates of pan chan.

The service was great, if we needed something they were right there for us. I would go back in a second.

We did not try any of the japanese food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

57% Recommend
San Antonio, TX
“Great Korean cuisine!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I was here with a couple of co-workers about a month ago. This appears to be a family-run operation. The restaurant is very clean and nicely decorated, almost formal. This was my first time at a Korean restaurant and I was very happy with the experience. I'm part of a mixed family, Vietnamese/Anglo, so I'm very familiar with Vietnamese cuisine and their family-style meals at home. A lot of similarities. I ordered a vegetable/tofu dish server over clear sweet potato based noodles. Along with each main dish, a number of small plates of various sides are served to be shared. There was very good kimchi of course, curried potato, dried mini fish of some type, and several others I can't recall. I think the fish was the only side I didn't try, or enjoy...just not my 'cup of tea' (which I DID enjoy!) They serve sushi also, which is not my favorite, but I suspect it's pretty good here. All the dishes seemed freshly prepared with great care. Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful with the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, DC
“Really warm welcome and a great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I was staying at an airport hotel for work and was worried my dinner options would be limited to Denny's and Panda Express. Luckily, the concierge at my hotel recommended the Ilsong Garden.

The food: I ordered kimchee jigae and it came out piping hot, and super-flavorful. The vegetables in the soup looked super fresh. Even though I had ordered the food to go, they carefully packed all the panchan (side dishes) into a separate to-go container. The gakdoogee (radish kimchee) was nice and spicy with just the right crunch.

The service: Even though I rolled in at 9:30 pm wearing my grubby workout clothes, they welcomed me with open arms, offering tea and good conversation. It seemed like they were all about going the extra mile: part of the reason the hotel concierge recommended the restaurant was that they were nice enough to run over and return a room key left by a guest.

The ambiance: The restaurant, what 15 minutes I spent in it, had a really calm, inviting vibe. It was much nicer than anything I would expect by an airport.

Overall, the experience was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Korean, Chinese and Japanese.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Korean, Chinese and Japanese.