“Good Location and Value” 5 of 5 stars

Drury Inn & Suites Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North St Mary's, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #15 of 350 hotels in San Antonio
Springfield, Illinois
“Good Location and Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2006

I traveled to San Antoino November 14-19th for a conference. We chose to stay at the Drury Inn because of the great rate (we averaged $108 for an extended king room...you can use the SAV rate to book through their website online), good location, and great services.

We really liked the king extended room. It is much larger than the normal rooms and is a corner room, which cuts down on the noise from other rooms. It has a couch, two big chairs, two tvs, fridge, micro, and two fairly large closets. Yes, it is smaller than the suite, but it is also a lot cheaper. My friend had a balcony room, but said that she really couldn't see the riverwalk.

The service was great from the front desk. As everyone has said before, the drinks were a nice bonus. It is actually a nice selection beyond the standard wine and beer. Breakfast is good as well. But, the food selection at the snack reception and breakfast did not change once during my 5 night stay, but it's hard to complain about free food. And the wait to get a drink was not more than a couple of minutes on the busy nights.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the conference center and the rivercenter mall and is right on the riverwalk. The area is safe for the most part, but I would not recommend walking alone at night. My boyfriend was actually jumped by two people walking back to the hotel late one night. It seems that it's much safer on the riverwalk level than street level.

There are lots of great restaurants in the area. I was not that impressed with the Texas Land and Cattle in the basement of the Drury. But, we printed off several coupons from restaurant.com that saved us a ton of money, and we got some great meals (you can buy $25 gift certificates for $10 or less). I'd highly recommend Oro, Houston Street Bistro, and Rita's on the River. I was not too impressed with Steers and Beers, and Pat OBriens was awful! If you're looking for a nice local bar, Leaping Lizards is just a couple of blocks away, and the owner was very nice. But, there are many more upscale bars in the area. Howl at the Moon is a fun piano bar, but drinks are pretty expensive most nights.

I know lots of people recommend going to the Market Square. It is about a 6 block walk from the Drury. It was interesting and reasonable shopping prices, but every store seemed to have the same thing.

Overall, the experience was pretty good. I am not is a rush to go back to San Antonio, but if I were to visit again, I would definitely stay at the Drury Inn.

• Liked — Great bonuses like drinks, breakfast and large rooms
  • Disliked — Noisy buses and trains
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the SAV rate and get dinner coupons from restaurant.com
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business

821 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Greek first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

Everything was great. I disagree with the recent comments of overpriced and somwhat dingy. We thought the hotels was great and did not see any of the negatives. I will not repeat the good things that other reviewers have stated. I would stay here again and recomend it to anyone. Great vacation and we loved the Riverwalk and the friendly people. We loved Texas

• Liked — The location and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — Slow Internet
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here and enjoy the Riverwalk
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

Overall, I was really happy with the Drury Inn and Suites Riverwalk. Here are the positives:

Really helpful and friendly staff. Even when I saw them dealing with difficult customers, they were always smiling and helpful. There is no concierge (a negative to me), but the front desk staff is happy to help you with any arrangements as best they can.

Great location. I went for a convention and to see the sights, and being right on Riverwalk was nice. However, you pay a fair amount to be on Riverwalk. This is probably the best deal on the Riverwalk. Do note that everything is really expensive around the Riverwalk, meaning that you'll pay a ton for food. There are very few cheap eateries around there. I'm willing to pay a lot for good food and nice ambiance (but can't pay that much for EVERY meal on a trip), but the Riverwalk restaurants really disappointed me. The food and ambiance was consistently mediocre, yet charged very high prices. Just be aware of this if staying on the Riverwalk. And there really aren't many non-Riverwalk restaurants around.

I liked all the added extras. The full breakfast, the cocktails in the evening, the popcorn, chips, snack mix, and nachos in the evening, the free sodas all the time, the no-hassle late checkout available on request, the free internet access and computers 24 hours in the business center and free high speed access in your room for a laptop, the free local and long distance calls (1 hour per day). We really took advantage of everything we could, and most nights the nachos and drinks served as dinner (not so healthy). We intended to go to dinner, but after the drinks and snacks we were always too full. However, we got really sick of the nachos by the end of our stay.

Room size. Our King room was large, with high ceilings, very nice, comfortable bed.

Security-- You ALWAYS have to use your room key to access the hotel.

Negatives:

These aren't quite negatives as I really liked the hotel, but I was expecting amenities on par with a 3 star hotel instead of a 2 star.

Lobby was dingy, decor in lobby and rooms a little old and dingy. Not horrible, but I had expected nicer.

No concierge, no bell hops. Again, not a big deal, but I had expected these.

Of course, breakfast, snacks, and drinks aren't the highest quality. I really didn't expect them to be better. Much of the stuff seemed to be frozen and dethawed, like the sausage and biscuits, eggs likely made from a liquid egg mixture, gravy likely a powdered mix. But it was all okay and edible, with lots of options. Plastic forks and dishes, plastic glasses in the room and for cocktails. It's just a little thing, but I was expecting actual glasses, silverwear, plates, etc.

Overall, I really liked this hotel, and would likely stay there again. But it seemed a little overpriced given the quality. HOWEVER, everything on the Riverwalk is really overpriced, so it is ultimately a good deal for the area.

Note on attractions, but no reflection on the actual hotel: Across the street from the hotel is the Aztec Theater on the Riverwalk. It's newly restored with a large format screen. We say an I-MAX style film on the Mayans. The Aztec decor is really elaborate, like an Aztec temple and they have a cheesy but fun special effects show where the temple comes to life before the film. The theater is a historic site, as well. I really enjoyed it, so check it out if you like those kinds of films. It's a good alternative to the I-Max theater in the Rivercenter mall, and you're supporting a historic site.

We went to the Zoo, which is a really good zoo. Highly recommended. It was an $8 cab ride plus tip to the zoo, or you can take a bus. $9 admission. It took us 6 hours to see everything, but you could do it in shorter time if you don't read everything.

Otherwise, there's not that much to see. Market square and La Villita are just shopping areas. The Alamo won't take that long to see, 2 hours if you read EVERYTHING there. Riverwalk isn't that exciting. It's a bunch of overpriced restaurants with not-so-good food. There are some museums outside of the downtown area (which I didn't see and can't comment on), and Sea World and Six Flags far outside of the downtown. I'm not sure it's worth staying the Riverwalk area.

• Liked — all the freebies and helpful staff
  • Disliked — a little dingy
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Aztec Theater across from the hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Pecatonica, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2006

Booked early and got a suite above the riverwalk. Our family of six fit perfectly into this double queen and queen sleeper sofa suite.

The great things were Three free drinks between 5 and 7 for each adult each day. The free pop machine is always available in the lobby. The free breakfast has rolls, coffee, juices, scrambled eggs, sausage, cereals, french toast, waffles and more. Tables are cleaned promptly. The riverwalk is adjacent to the bottom floor. No taxi is needed and everything we wanted to see and shop at was at the most six scenic blocks away. We never encountered an employee that did not smile or help us with anything we wanted or wanted to know. The area restaurants are too many and good to mention. The taxi from the airport is the cheapest way to go. About $21.00 each way. In fact our driver from the airport met us at an exact time and date we were leaving to drive us back to the airport. He was very polite and professional. Also a private computer room is available for hotel users only. They also allow one hour of long distance phone calls per day from your room for free.

The pool on the roof is unusually chilly but the hot tube was nice. That's it without being knit picky. A nice catholic church across the street (St. Mary's) and the trolley stopping one block away was handy. This made our family vacation along with participating in the San Antonio Marathon a great and memorable vacation. Without a doubt I would return to this hotel.

• Liked — Right on the Riverwalk and close to everything we wanted
  • Disliked — The pool could be heated
  • Tips/Secrets — Around 5pm get your free drinks and nachos and muchies they put out.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
manchester, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

Hate to post this review as hotel has been very generous in compensating me (and presumably other guests) for very disturbed nights on a mid october stay. The hotel is also fantastic value. However, one side of the building is currently badly affected by construction right next to it (I mean within inches of the hotel wall). I think this was exceptional but on my stay they worked very loud machinery right through the night so it was very difficult to sleep. Would advise checking position over next few months and request room on opposite side (which should be fine).

Stayed October 2006
Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

We stayed here with 7 other couples for a birthday celebration. We shared a 1 bdrm suite with another couple. We had a king bed and they had the pullout sofa. The bathroom is small and had the vanity out in the room. There were tv's in bedroom and living area. It was nice to have a the living area for everyone to hang in. Another couple had the king room. They had high ceilings which looked very neat. Our rooms actually overlooked a demolition job which was quite noisey in the morning if you are trying to sleep in. 3 other couples shared a terrace suite overlooking the river walk....well kind of. Not a great view but great big terrace that was a great hang out area midday. They had 2 queen beds and the pullout. There was also a wet bar area in there.
The first night we ordered from Tx Land and Cattle downstairs and took it to the pool area and ate. It was great! Then we sat in hot tub and had drinks till they came and closed the whole pool area at 10pm.
We never seemed to make the free food and drink reception nightly!
It is a little ways to get down to the area that is happening but not too bad if ya just want to take in the sights of the river walk and people watch.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Frankfort, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

I have to agree with most of the glowing reviews. The staff was very polite and went out of their way to be helpful. The free breakfast was about what one would expect from a free breakfast; the evening snacks usually consisted of tortilla chips with cheese, and popcorn; and the drinks were decent (several mixed drinks, lite beer on tap and wine, along with a variety of soft drinks).

Location was close to perfect and just far enough away from the crowds. We were on the second floor, Riverwalk side, two away from the street. There were some occasional noisy people on Saturday night until after midnight, but nothing late on Sunday. If you are a light sleeper you might want to request a higher floor, but for me the view from 2nd floor was great (see photo taken from our window). The windows themselves allow for you to open them around 6 inches if you want to hear what's going on below...or wave at the tour boats. As for other noise, I have the same complaint as with most hotels. Too much room under the door, allowing any hall noise in; and why can't hotels put in doors that don't slam when people go in and out?

Didn't use the pool on the roof, but checked it out. Small, but for me the only negative was a zero view of anything but the sky above you. Tall walls obstructed most anything else.

Summary--if you don't want to spend a fortune, but want to be on the Riverwalk, I cannot imagine a better place to stay in San Antonio.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise, but not unlike most hotels near activity
  • Tips/Secrets — Beef ribs at the County Line
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Drury Inn & Suites Riverwalk? Share your experiences!