“The Worst Hyatt...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk

You added Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk to your Saves list
Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   601 South St. Mary's Street, San Antonio, TX 78205 (Formerly "AmeriSuites San Antonio Riverwalk") (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #91 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“The Worst Hyatt...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

... I've ever stayed at. As a frequent business traveler and a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond status member I've been to many hotels as well as many Hyatts. This one, hands down, was the worst I've ever stayed at. The sales staff was discourteous and argumentative. The management was not present and non responsive to my requests for contact. Overall, an incredibly negative experience with the hotel management and therefore the hotel.

The only positive I can share is the good service given by the gallery hosts. Otherwise, my experience was so poor it has tarnished my view of all Hyatt's in general. If ever return to San Antonio I would stay at any other hotel than this one. One rotten apple...

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Alpine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I have stayed at other Hyatt Place hotels and was pleased so I decided to give them a chance on a recent trip to San Antonio. Nice hotel. Friendly staff. Good discount rate. Free parking in the lot out front. Very good high quality breakfast - better than most hotels by far. Good coffee. Like all the Hyatt Places they have a small bar and cafe in the lobby that offers simple fare 24/7. It is located directly on the Riverwalk per se, but far from the action. Their section of Riverwalk is attractive with trees, etc. but it is about 1/2 mile walk to the busy sections where the shopping and restaurants are. Most guests would likely walk a few blocks down the street to get to the action spots. I can see where the other reviewer said that a single female might feel uncomfortable doing that, esp. at night. The walk would be too far for anyone elderly or with kids that cant walk far. However, the walk will save you an average of $20 at night as that is what the other hotels charge for valet parking. The room was very large, had a desk, wi-fi, big flat screen, good AC, microwave, quality in-room coffee, a decent mini-fridge. Everything was nice, fresh and attractive. I like the idea that they provide real glass and real mugs for drinks, even at breakfast they have real plates and silverware - not styrofoam. The room cleanliness was average as there were a few long hairs in the tub. Yuk. The bathroom is very small. A large person or someone wrestling with kids in the tub might find it way too small. Overall our pleasant was good. Quiet. Nice hotel. Nice grounds. Good views to their section of Riverwalk. Nice jasmine trellis on that side. I would stay here again if I were looking to save the parking fee and was okay with the walk. If you want to be steps from the action and are willing to pay the valet fees you might want to chose somewhere else closer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We needed an inexpensive room for 5 nights as we were in town for a tennis match. I have stayed at La Quinta on the Riverwalk for slightly cheaper but the Hyatt Place was much nicer. The rooms were huge....almost too big. More room should have been given to the shower/toilet room. It was very small. The staff in the hotel were very professional, helpful and courteous. Jasmine and John introduced themselves and gave us a brief tour of the facility. The parking was free (a huge plus for that area), free breakfast and free internet room with printer. WiFi was also free. There was also a small pool and work out facility. The location on the Riverwalk was great. A short but pretty walk down to the main hub of stores and restaurants. The breakfast was much nicer than the usual fare. Loved the cooked oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit.

Room Tip: ask for a room higher up than 3rd floor facing the Riverwalk
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Orange Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Yes this property is on the Riverwalk....but there is nothing around it. You have to walk a few blocks to find some of the action. It wss pretty pricey for the location, but the hotel was decent. I've stayed in much nicer Hyatt Place properties for much cheaper. Staff was friendly but the espresso machine was broke. You are able to walk to the river walk from this hotel.

Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I like Hyatts and the comments from other reviewers that said the hotel was good to very good were ones I would agree with. It is one block from the Alamo and on the riverwalk. The bedding has the nice white cotton duvet and starched sheets. The rooms are quiet.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012 via mobile

First room we entered had spots of food on the comforter. They were accommodating by moving us to another room , However that room was not clean either, there was something sticky and gooey on the ottoman and behind the ottoman was trash. This was just disappointing , I didn't feel comfortable sleeping in bed because they obviously don't wash there comforters so whose to say they actually change there sheets after a guest stay? He breakfast was pretty good and overall the staff was pretty nice . But compared to other hyatt I have stayed at this one is not he best .

• Stayed March 2012
Kaysville, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Female traveling for work. I booked this hotel because it was the last place I could find available. (I had no idea it was spring break.)

Hotel itself is nice enough. I was booked into a Handicap room, which was not OK, however it was the last room available. I will not comment on that room because it didn't fit my needs. I requested a room change the next day and was given one without incident.

I was moved into a King room, street side. The room is large and has plenty of space. The bathroom area is ok. The shower is large and was nice enough. (No tub.) The bed was comfortable. I didn't have any problems with any noise, but I always wear ear plugs anyway. Some have commented on the room not being clean. This was not the case with my stay. I thought my room was very clean.

There is a sink and fridge area. The fridge wasn't the coldest, but I cranked it all the way up and it worked "ok".

The desk area was handy - especially for someone traveling for work.

Riverwalk - If being close to the Riverwalk attractions is important, then stay somewhere else. I inquired at the desk the first day if it was safe to walk the distance to the attractions. The clerk assured me that it was. I can tell you that I did NOT feel safe, being a female traveling alone.

I have stayed on the Riverwalk for years now, this hotel is quite a distance from restaurants, shopping, etc. You can walk out the back door and be right on the river, but it is not where the attractions are. I felt isolated walking by myself. On my way back to the hotel at night, I figured it would be quicker to go street-side and cut the time/distance. I actually waited for a group of others heading my way and followed closely behind. Personally, I would not recommend it alone... just sayin. If you have others with you, you might feel differently. The next night I drove closer to the Riverwalk and paid to park.

The hotel free parking is nice if that is important to you. My company pays for parking, so I would rather valet and be closer.

I cannot comment on breakfast as I didn't ever go down for it.

The pool area was nice enough - I went out and read for awhile. The actual water was pretty cluttered with leaves and soggy potato chips... don't know what was up with that... Not sure I would have let my kids swim or not (had they been with me).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk? Share your experiences!