“Better than other Motel 6's, but it a sketchy location” 4 of 5 stars

Motel 6 -San Antonio Downtown - Market Square
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   211 N Pecos La Trinidad, San Antonio, TX 78207   |
Ranked #265 of 352 Hotels in San Antonio
Jacksonville, Florida
“Better than other Motel 6's, but it a sketchy location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is the first Motel 6 I've stayed at that's the "new" version. I had my cat with me and he was sick of traveling across the country, so I was glad that the room was pretty big for a Motel 6 and he had room to run around.

The room was interesting. It was sort of a weird modern theme with fake bamboo linoleum. It had a giant bed with lots of pillows and it was quite comfy. Especially compared with other Motel 6 beds. I specifically chose this motel because I wanted to go check out the River Walk and Alamo while I was there, but didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel since I was just passing through. It was a short walk to the downtown area, but walking back alone at night was a little sketchy. The parking lot is shared with a McDonald's and it practically under a freeway. Lots of interested characters hanging around. At one point after I'd gone to bed I heard someone yelling outside. I went to check and it was a guy outside McDonald's yelling at his shopping cart. I was a bit worried about having my new car with all my belongings parked there, but it was well lit and I think they had a security guard.

So, overall this place is fine for a one night stopover, but based on the location I don't think I'd leave my car there for longer than that. It got 4 stars based on other Motel 6's, not on other hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Somewhere south of the middle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were in San Antonio for the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in November and found this Motel 6 pretty convenient to get to the downtown area fairly quickly. Unlike other reviewers, we didn't walk to and from downtown, just drove. The McDonald's is literally next door and that was nice. I didn't care for the room decor as it's too austere for my tastes, but it was clean. The light in the bathroom didn't work and the front desk offered to change the bulb out but we could still see from the vanity area lights, so I declined. I thought it was nice that the front desk called us a few minutes after we got in the room to see if everything was alright.

The only "scary" thing was there was a knock on the door in the middle of the night and I woke up thinking it was my friend (staying in another room at the same motel) letting us know it was time to get up and get ready for the marathon. When I looked at the clock and saw it was the middle of the night, I refused to go to the door and they never knocked again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I paid $50 for the room, but I was very, very happy to be in a room that was centrally located downtown and in a CLEAN room! The new decor has easy to clean laminate, faux hardwood, flooring as opposed to gritty carpets with stains. Everything was inches above the floor so I could easily verify there were no roaches, insects, etc. After staying in San Marcos the day before in an Executive Inn with cockroaches and hair in the tub, I reveled in the cleanliness of the room. It was quiet as well so I didn't have any noisy neighbors disturbing my sleep. The staff was GREAT!!! The young man and middle-aged woman behind the desk gave me helpful tips and recommendations about the downtown area as well as money saving coupons. I live in Irving (Las Colinas) and will be job hunting in the area and I will be staying here again on my next trip!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Haaa. When I got to this motel, they found my reservation but did not have any room available. They told me they could not honor the reservation and I was on my own. They gave me the phone number of another Motel 6 ten miles away.

After calling the central reservation phone number, they finally found a room. The room was moldy ans stinky. I hate the colors and plastic flooring they now put in the "refurbished" rooms of this motel chain.

The hotel is not too far from the Riverwalk. You can walk there but this hotel is in a sketchy area of the city.

I would personally avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

It was a last minute decision to stay in San Antonio and the Motel 6 Market Sqaure was the right place.

The room was modest with the "new" Motel 6 decor but it was very relaxing and refreshing after shopping in San Marcos and a long days drive. You park just outside your room. The area is not a tourist area like the Riverwalk but not too bad. Market Square with Mi Tierra is a short walk away. A good convenience store is a block the other way.

And at $42, it hit the spot for quick stop!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
BEDFORD TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

very great price for a downtown hotel. great price. great staff. very simple rooms. basic but all u need. have stayed here many times. will stay again. no worries on safety at all for me. is right next door to mcdonalds. very convenient for breakfast that is cheap. a short walk under the hwy bridge, and u are at the market and many places to eat. also u are right at the place to board the city bus. not far at all from bus to motel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011 via mobile

We noticed the uncleanliness as soon as we checked in. There were stains on the bed, hair in the bed and shower and a peculiar red stain on the sheets. When my group and I arrived we were honestly so tired from the drive that we agreed to just do one night. Big mistake. First, around 2:00 am a prostitute stood outside of our room and talked really loud and sang about "needin to make dat money". Cool. Next, around 5 am two homeless men knocked on our door and tried to turn the handle of our door- did I mention the deadbolt didn't work and we had a chair jammed under the door knob for "better" safety. Oh yeah, and the men set the car alarm off on our vehicle. I honestly couldn't make this stuff up. This place is trash and I feel very unresponsible to think that I tried to stay one night here.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Motel 6 -San Antonio Downtown - Market Square? Share your experiences!