“Historic and Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mission San Jose

Mission San Jose
6701 San Jose Drive, San Antonio, TX 78214 (Harlandale)
210 229 4770
Activities: Getting married
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1720, this Spanish frontier mission, the largest of the five San Antonio missions, is best known for its rose window. On Sundays, this Texas and U.S. National historic site offers a mariachi mass.
Dallas, Texas, United States
27 attraction reviews
“Historic and Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

All these years and I didn't know this mission was around. I thank Trip Advisor for listing it. I was in San Antonio for a couple of days for business. Stayed by the Riverwalk, visited some sites I hadn't seen before and on our last day I looked in trip advisor for other sites to see in San Antonio and this was listed a top favorite. Anyhow, from where we were (hotel), the drive south was only about 15 minutes, maybe 20 because I followed my GPS and took me somewhere else (a couple of blocks short). Once we were there, I was surprised at the size and beauty. The Alamo has a lot of pictures of what the mission used to look like, but the San Jose Mission is intact and you see the actual mission with its walls, trees and church. After visiting this mission, I find the Alamo overrated. Still worth visiting once, but definitely consider seeing the other missions. There are five in total, I believe. We didn't have time to see the other 3 but next time I'm in San Antonio, I'll definitely add it to my list of places to see.

Visited June 2013

Atlanta
7 attraction reviews
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful historic site. The museum was nice and informa
tive. The docents were very helpful. Great location for photographers-professional and amateur.

Phoenix, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Even though this one mission has had a lot of restoration, the grounds and the building are magnificent.

Visited June 2013
Lakeland, Minnesota
8 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Mission has been restored so nicely! The flowers everywhere were beautiful!
Staff was very engaging.

Visited May 2013
Evansville, Indiana
33 attraction reviews
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you've seen the Alamo you should head out to the Mission San Jose. Since this mission is more complete you can get a much better picture of what the Alamo complex probably looked like. The church (which apparently is still an active church) is much more breath taking than the Alamo. Since there is more of the original mission you can tour what would have been living quarters and such. Very imformative displays about what mission life was like (the Alamo tends to focus on the battle and you kinda forget the mission had a different purpose originally). Nice little visitor's center with very friendly staff. They had a short movie (20 minutes or so) that we decided to sklp because we had a two year old with us.

Note: these mission is a ways out of downtown. I know there is a walking path that connects the missions but it would be one heck of a walk. We had day hopper passes for the public transit system so we took the bus (took about 40 minutes to get down there). Bus stopped just across the street and the stop going back into downtown was right in front of the park. If you have a car and aren't worried about downtown parking (that's why we took the bus didn't want to lose our parking spot at the hotel) there is a large parking lot at the national park that is free.

Visited May 2013